We need to lose more games - action needed.

Thaiger14

Normally I would be burning on the inside watching a poor performance like that. I would be hurting to say the least. But tonight I frankly didn't care, I wanted to see the tigers get dominated the way they did. I don't want to wish the worst on the team that I love but for the long term success of the club, I think we need to lose more games this year, hopefully end up with a win loss record of 1-5 or something atrocious like that and end up bottom of the table during some point of the season - we are not far off now. This would have to put extraordinary pressure on Sheens to the extent that he would be given his marching orders. I think this is needed to turn our club around for the long term. Some will argue that we made the top 4 over the last 2 years and that we won the GF in 05, but to have a finals success rate of 3 from 9 seasons is poor in my book. His record over his career is poor to say the least, he had a strong roster at Canberra but other than that his W/L ratio has been negative:
G W D L W %
1984–87 Penrith Panthers 98 43 4 51 44
1988–96 Canberra Raiders 219 148 3 68 68
1997–01 Nth. Qld. Cowboys 105 28 4 73 27
2003– Wests Tigers 172 79 0 93 46

And tonight I couldn't believe his strategy and bench:

- To have two backs on the bench when we were labelled as being soft in the forwards last week is beyond belief. Groat and Woods combined are not ready to take on experienced forward packs. They were dominated and had no one aside from Bell and BMM to rotate. Needed Moors.
- I've always said you can't have Fulton and Heignington running in the same 17\. They are too small and not as versatile as other second rowers and locks in the game. I guess a fit Dwyer would have resolved this issue.
- To not have a recognised hooker in the team was a mistake.
- Moltzen needs time in reserves. He needs to get a reality check. Had a good last 10 minutes but other than that he was non existent. I was appalled when a bomb that a fullback normally takes was cut off by Reddy because Moltzen was too reluctant to have a go. Its not easy to go from HB to FB and the shifting in position can only be blamed on Sheens.
- Miller looked ok and looked more like a halfback in his brief time at first receiver however playing Humble, Marshall, Moltzen and Miller all at first receiver at different stages of the game was absolutely stupid. Provides no unity in the attacking structure. There was no one talking, organising play etc.
- Farah and Marshall are great players, but neither are captain material. We made too many sacrifices to have both in the team and for them to be so influential. I just don't see the maturity that you would see in players like Smith or Lockyer. If I were to select a captain it would have to be Ellis for the short term and consider recruiting a player with leadership attributes. Maybe Lawrence can step up.
- Our centres have been one of the strengths in our attack last year and they are playing their hearts out but missing way too many tackles in defence. However in attack, too many teams are easily sliding with our attack and they have no room to breath. This is where Marshall needs to hit the line on the fringes and give them room but our forwards have laid a poor platform and Marshall has been stuck at first receiver. Have we even scored a try from outside our own half this year?
- We look terrible in Defence. It was no coincidence that Royce leaves, Folkes comes on board and we make the finals two years in a row. Folkes leaves and we start to crumble. I would have Folkes replace Sheens and have Georgalis as his assistant.
\
\
All of the above are my observations but ultimately it does come down to the way Sheens coaches. Offer folkes the role, he won't turn it down. The players will have a whinge but in any business, leaders are replaced for the good of the company.

Can I also ask if we currently have the longest serving coach at one club? Since 2003! My answer would be yes. Sorry for the rant.

Agree with 99.4% of this post,have said before that Heino and Fulton are both lightweights. Sheens' love affair with changing 6 positions and still having 2 backs on the bench is laughable. Great post

Back