Wests Tigers Home Ground Mega Thread

Having to go to Central is a silly argument - most folks need to go to Central to connect to alternative services because there are insufficient North-South connectors in Sydney's public transport strategy.

For example I used to live in Kingsgrove just near the train station. Easy 20 minutes to drive, park and then walk to Leichhardt. To go via light rail I needed to go first to Central as you say. But also to get to Parra Stadium I needed to go first to Central. Penrith the same. To get to Homebush I needed to go to Central, unless I wanted to sit on the "special" bus for 60 minutes. For Brookvale Oval you may as well fly to New Zealand.

So being close to a train station is all relative depending where you are on the network. In that case the light rail is just as useful / available as any other service, depending on where you live.
I was merely stating that BBs post seemed to suggest the light rail made things much easier getting to LO, where I was trying to say that unless you lived along the line the bus is just as viable but the only two options really available, bus or LR pretty much the same tho I think LR is slower...Im not sure where the closest light rail stop is to LO but I think the 440 bus stop is closer

Reactions: BZN
not so much “limiting “ anything … but making sure they are concentrating on getting the local community to attend the games …We are repeatedly told by Richo that this is the “fastest growing area in Australia”… so the primary plan should be getting them to show up … if people want to travel 50kms or more to go to the game then great… but the locals attending will ultimately decide the success or otherwise of playing games there ..
Yeah fair enough, Im thinking of those poor old souls that still reside around the summer hill/ashfield out to Burwood Strathfield Lidcombe Granville areas

Lets not forget them probably not many left but yeh, I see your point

Yeah fair enough, Im thinking of those poor old souls that still reside around the summer hill/ashfield out to Burwood Strathfield Lidcombe Granville areas

Don’t get me wrong … I want the move to playing more games in Cambo to be successful ,,, I have said here several times that it’s where the future of the club lies ..,and there is much more chance of getting a stadium built there than in the inner west ..

I think though that for it to be successful … it’s gotta be up to the locals to buy in… Im not sure this has happened previously ,,, maybe in 2005-06 … I was overseas then working so not sure if that was the case then or not …

If it doesn’t work in the short term over the next couple of years ,,,particularly if they have a winning team.. then the fingers have to be pointed at the management and a bit closer to home…. It can’t be the fault of the inner westies not making the commute …

See... You have Macarthur supporters
What the hell are they?
Are they like those I just mentioned on FB that wanna save Leichhardt but don't travel to Cambo... I'd hazard a guess and say a lot of them are
Probably get quite a few to every game there as well seeing as they'll be the last games there

You're a conditional, divisive fan @camel
I just copied and pasted an article from the terrorgraph by that scumbag Dean Ritchie so it could be discussed on the forum. Not my words or opinions.

How am I conditional or divisive? I just want the club to be successful and play good footy. I don't live anywhere near Sydney and rarely get the chance to travel to watch them live.

I watch the Tigers whenever they play in Newcastle and am going to get to see them at Magic Round this year.

Last edited:
I just copied and pasted an article from the terrorgraph by that scumbag Dean Ritchie so it could be discussed on the forum. Not my words or opinions.

How am I conditional or divisive? I just want the club to be successful and play good footy. I don't live anywhere near Sydney and rarely get the chance to travel to watch them live.

I watch the Tigers whenever they play in Newcastle and am going to get to see them at Magic Round this year.
Ooops...what a stuff up on my part

i thought these are your thoughts...didnt realise its fro ritchie
My sincerest apologies @Camel2281

😥

I was merely stating that BBs post seemed to suggest the light rail made things much easier getting to LO, where I was trying to say that unless you lived along the line the bus is just as viable but the only two options really available, bus or LR pretty much the same tho I think LR is slower...Im not sure where the closest light rail stop is to LO but I think the 440 bus stop is closer
The bus stop is definitely closer and probably faster at least going to the ground. Leaving, the bus can be slow iniitially. I personally prefer the light rail as it's more comfortable and easy for me to transfer at Central.

My personal experience is the LR is superior to the bus, and the bus still exists - whereas in decades past it was bus or nothing.

Standard city bus holds 80 people rammed, whereas standard LR service holds 272 full. And that's 272 in either direction (city or Dulwich Hill bound).

I find it simply easier to navigate the LR and hop on/off. Because of the way the crowd flows down Mary and James St to the LR stop (Leichhardt North, at Darley St / West Link near the Dan Murphy's), the LR stop tends to fill at about the rate of the incoming service, so you are looking at 500+ people moved every 10-15 minutes.

Last edited:
Having to go to Central is a silly argument - most folks need to go to Central to connect to alternative services because there are insufficient North-South connectors in Sydney's public transport strategy.

For example I used to live in Kingsgrove just near the train station. Easy 20 minutes to drive, park and then walk to Leichhardt. To go via light rail I needed to go first to Central as you say. But also to get to Parra Stadium I needed to go first to Central. Penrith the same. To get to Homebush I needed to go to Central, unless I wanted to sit on the "special" bus for 60 minutes. For Brookvale Oval you may as well fly to New Zealand.

So being close to a train station is all relative depending where you are on the network. In that case the light rail is just as useful / available as any other service, depending on where you live.
Agree ! If you want to go , you’ll go . My issue with Cambo has never been about the tyranny of distance . It’s purely about 2 things . It’s absolutely freezing there during winter ie. I have real issues with the ground itself , and the atmosphere can be really muted , like a dragons game at WIN .
The second is fixed with bums on seats. The former is fixed with bums on seats/ a joint venture with teams like the Bulls to drum up interest for a new stadium IMO something similar to GC/ robina would be perfect .
But people need to prove it . And ever since the magpies went out there in the 80s has there always been this standoffish relationship with going to footy games .

Agree ! If you want to go , you’ll go . My issue with Cambo has never been about the tyranny of distance . It’s purely about 2 things . It’s absolutely freezing there during winter ie. I have real issues with the ground itself , and the atmosphere can be really muted , like a dragons game at WIN .
The second is fixed with bums on seats. The former is fixed with bums on seats/ a joint venture with teams like the Bulls to drum up interest for a new stadium IMO something similar to GC/ robina would be perfect .
But people need to prove it . And ever since the magpies went out there in the 80s has there always been this standoffish relationship with going to footy games .
Ironically for the airport line the connection to Campbo is straightforward - just get the train out to Leumeah and wander across the carpark when you get there. So moving to Kingsgrove actually made CSS far far easier to visit.

But it's a fair train ride so that wouldn't be true for someone coming from another line, via Central or Wolli Creek, to then turn and catch a service all the way out to Leumeah.

Accor would be the best case. It’s the closest stadium to where the Tigers are based in Concord and is the biggest stadium in Sydney. Downside is though there’s a lot of empty seats that will be visible in person and on TV. Commbank is Parramatta’s stadium it will never be anyone else’s but theirs.
Sydney Olympics now a memory. An Accor upgrade will become due and hopefully a conversion to a rugby field will be a priority.

I don’t think many fans who live in the inner west will travel to Campbelltown to watch a game of footy as it is far from where they live. Unless the fan is a die hard and tries to attend every home game of the club, I don’t see many people from the inner west going to CSS to watch them play even if it is the Sunday arvo game. That’s why you don’t see many rival fans go to the game either at CSS because if they do live near where the club they support is based, it is very far to travel just to watch them play. Obviously not every fan lives where their club is based but the ones who do will most likely not end up going as it is far from their home.
When WTs get the right amount of promotion going in the SW and attract a lot of fans and Menbers from that area [which turns into bums on seats at the games], it'll only be the really keen fans that will travel from the inner west to CSS, as they will be the few fans keen enough to snap up the remaining tickets left after the fanatical WTs locals have secured a large proportion of tickets.
It won't be until CSS is enlarged, that there will be plenty of seats for out of Campbelltowners.
Get with the strength and become a member with seats at both, or all our grounds.

You don’t need Richo to tell you that.

Im fine mate. You’re the one throwing veiled personal insults over a minor disagreement. I got no issue with you. Not sure why you are trying to make one.
I suggest you will get into a lot less arguments if you explain your feelings better G4L.
"You don't need Richo to tell you that" has 2 meanings if you think about it, and one of them is misleading.

Well guys I know most on here dont like to travel much to games unless they are close...I have a group of guys going to CSS when the WTs play the Dragons...some Tiges and some Drags supporters .. travelling by train from Moss Vale train station to Leumeah,lunch at Wests Leagues and walk over to the game,after the game back to the club for a bit then cabs to Campo station back home...It will be a funday and the people are excited to go..
I love Campo as much as LO and we may get to a game at LO as well...
I find personally...if you love the game and the Tigers then you can make the effort to go watch them,buy a membership of some description at least a couple of times a year..
I have an out of town membership and go when work and time allows...

• Love
Well I'll stand corrected... I've only ever driven or bussed it but one LR equating to 3.5 buses makes it a no brainer.
Been meaning to go, further than haymarket from central on the LR for some time I must do it... We used to muck around at munco Scott train tracks at Lewisham when I was a kid

On a Sat. or Sun. early in the 2004 footy season when I was driving for State Transit, I was rostered to do the 440 from I think Balmain Wharf to either Circular Quay or Millers point via of course Leichhardt Oval.

I had zero passengers until the 1st bus stop just across Vict. Rd. I picked up an old bloke and we travelled no more than 50 metres then came to a stop behind a row of cars as far as I could see.

We travelled about another 2 bus lengths in what seemed like an eternity, so much so the old bloke had had enough and asked me to let him off even though we were between stops. After letting him off he disappeared into the distance while my bus just sat there in the same spot.

Eventually, so much time had been taken up sitting in a shambolic traffic situation, I had no alternative but to put 000 SPECIAL up, turn left at the next suitable St. and return to Ryde Depot so I could start my next trip Rte. 500 to Circular Quay on time.

I hope the traffic situation going past Leichhardt Oval has improved.
If not, I wouldn't go anywhere near the joint.

Why wouldn't Wests Ashfield be able to hire a certain number of buses to take anyone interested from the Club and picking up at designated spots as far as Burwood, to the game at Campbelltown, user pays of course.

If life was equal - if humans were considered not peasants by those that rule over us - we could all have private jets and fly to the same game at the same time. Save the planet if you will. And maybe save a Brumby on the way somehow.

I may even drive the 300klms. approx. to watch the WTs V Newcastle match.
Or maybe I'll just watch it on Kayo, weather depending.

Back