Wests Tigers talk top-spot intentions ahead of Dragons

G

Wests Tigers talk top-spot intentions ahead of St george Illawarra clash

By Brent Read
June 25, 2010

Wests Tigers captain Robbie Farah ups the stakes heading into Friday night's game against St George Illawarra, revealing he and his teammates are set on claiming a maiden minor premiership.
Farah, in doubt for the game against the Dragons with a leg injury, said the players had held a meeting last week and vowed to do all in their power to win the J J Giltinan Shield.

"We want to be minor premiers," Farah said.

"For us to do that we have to beat the Dragons. It's going to be a massive challenge for us no doubt - a good test to see where we're at.

"We're going to have to go another level to compete with the Dragons, especially at Kogarah."

The Tigers head into the game in third place, four points behind the table-topping Dragons but in the midst of a rich vein of form.

Since an embarrassing loss to South Sydney in round 10, the Tigers have won their past four games.

However, coach Tim Sheens will be forced to shuffle his backline as he contends with the loss of halfback Robert Lui. Benji Marshall is expected to play halfback, with Blake Ayshford shifting to five-eighth. Geoff Daniela will be recalled in the centres. The Dragons welcome back NSW prop Mick Weyman and lock Dean Young, meaning they are close to full strength.

That doesn't faze Farah. Nor does the prospect of having to go through the remainder of the season undefeated to achieve their aim of a minor premiership.

"Why not?" he said. "Why not go undefeated? We want to win every game. You're not going to look at the draw and say 'we can't beat the Dragons this week so why show up?'.

"We think we can win every game. We will go out to win every game.

"They're (the Dragons) pretty methodical in what they do - they complete their sets, they get to a kick and they force you into errors. They score points off the back of it. We're going to have to be controlled in our game. It's going to be a big battle of field position.

"I think we're starting to learn to win those games.

"Other than the win against the Warriors, the other three games have been pretty ugly really. We're learning how to get into the grind.

"Like I said, the Dragons are the best at it so it will give us a test of where we are at."

Assistant coach Royce Simmons added: "They're the measuring stick of the competition. They don't make too many mistakes.

"You have to be very patient. They will wait until the 78th minute to beat you. Over the last three or four weeks we have learned to grind out a win."

Bloody hell!! :neutral_face: I start to worry when we get to far ahead of ourselves :unamused:

@tigerdre said:
Bloody hell!! :neutral_face: I start to worry when we get to far ahead of ourselves :unamused:

It's the biggest cardinal sin in sport. Let's take it one game at a time please.

Agree that we need to take one game at a time, but the team need to have high goals set for themselves.

In 2005 it was a top 4 position and while they may not have publicly stated as such (esp halfway through where it looked a long way off) they had posters put up around the training rooms reminding them of their pledge to each other. Look where it got us, a top 4 position and a great launching pad to our first premiership.

i reckon talking your self up is what we need more of. making the boys believe they can beat the dragons before a game especially by the coach and the captain is imperative to the lead up to this game.

Can't wait to sit down and watch this, first actual live tigers game i'll have watched. plus girlfriend is working so tv is all mine!!!!

go the tigers!

@Kaiser said:
What's wrong with saying they want the top spot?

I'm all for being confident but i don't think we are in a position (even if we are 3rd) to start talking about minor prems
Our form over the month has been good without being great.I just feel we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves ATM.
Stick to the original goal of a top 4 finish,which is more realistic.If we beat the Dragons,Broncs & Titans then sure we should be aiming for top spot but for now lets not get to far ahead of ourselves

good read, it was always going to be a tough game, even tougher now with our backline having to change around. If we can win though, given the injuries we have as well, boy, the confidence will be sky high

Good attitude. We all saw how far a negative approach got us in the other code Aus Vs Germany…

@tigerdre said:
I'm all for being confident but i don't think we are in a position (even if we are 3rd) to start talking about minor prems

They aren't saying they are confident in getting it they are saying they want it…

Goals and Self belief is pivotal in Life and sport.

I like the positivity in this article and it is not head in the clouds stuff.

Can they do it ??? I dont think so in reality but top 4 is a definetly achievable goal if the cut down the mistake rate and up the completion rate.

Top 4 Tigers.

If you don't have a plan you cant achieve anything in life unless by good fortune.

The best part of that article is the part where Robbie talks about wanting to win every game, just because the Dragons are leading the comp, it's not to say they are unbeatable, the Tigers will turn up to play and give themselves a chance, and so they should, if they click into gear and defend well, there's no reason why they can't win.

@BrissieTiger67 said:
i reckon talking your self up is what we need more of. making the boys believe they can beat the dragons before a game especially by the coach and the captain is imperative to the lead up to this game.

Can't wait to sit down and watch this, first actual live tigers game i'll have watched. plus girlfriend is working so tv is all mine!!!!

go the tigers!

There are downsides but I agree with the above. If your confident and go out there with a good attitude, things just tend to 'stick' better, like passes and the such. Keep up the spirits. No point going into the game a defeated team.\

Carn the tigers!
:sign:

Back