WESTS TIGERS WARY OF WARRIORS RECORD AT CAMPBELLTOWN

KingOvKingz09

WESTS TIGERS WARY OF WARRIORS RECORD AT CAMPBELLTOWN
By Wayne Cousins
24/05/2010 2:53:03 PM
Wests Tigers will be looking for its first victory at Campbelltown Sports Stadium since April last year when they take on the Warriors on Friday, May 28, in round 12 of the Telstra Premiership.

The last time Wests Tigers won at Campbelltown was in round seven last year, a 26-24 victory over Newcastle. Wests Tigers then lost to the Broncos in round 11 before the ground was shut down for the season for an $8 million upgrade.

Wests Tigers returned to Campbelltown in round 8 this season to mark the official opening of the redeveloped stadium but came away with a 12-8 loss to the Sydney Roosters in a game they should have won.

"We are due for a win at Campbelltown after letting the game slip away against the Roosters,'' said lock Chris Heighington.

"We always receive great support in Campbelltown and it would be great to run out against the Warriors with a big crowd behind us.

"It was good to bounce back against Newcastle last Friday night but we still have plenty of hard work ahead of us."

The Warriors have a good record at Campbelltown, having won two of the three clashes between the two clubs, including a 28-16 victory in 2007 the last time they played there.

Wests Tigers will be looking to build on its 23-6 away victory over Newcastle Knights while the Warriors head into the game on the back of a 26-24 win over South Sydney at home.

The Warriors sit in seventh place on the NRL ladder with Wests Tigers in eighth position. Both are on 12 competition points.

HEAD TO HEAD

Played 16, Warriors 9, Wests Tigers 7

AT CAMPBELLTOWN SPORTS STADIUM

Played 3, Warriors 2, Wests Tigers 1

LAST 8 CLASHES

2009 - WARRIORS 14 d. WESTS TIGERS 0 at Mt Smart Stadium.
2008 - WARRIORS 28 d. WESTS TIGERS 26 at Leichhardt Oval.
2007 - WARRIORS 28 d. WESTS TIGERS 16 at Campbelltown Sports Stadium;
WESTS TIGERS 30 d. WARRIORS 26 at Mt Smart Stadium.
2006 - WARRIORS 34 d. WESTS TIGERS 12 at Mt Smart Stadium;
WARRIORS 26 d. WESTS TIGERS 10 at AMI Stadium.
2005 - WARRIORS 21 d. WESTS TIGERS 4 at Mt Smart Stadium;
WESTS TIGERS 24 d. WARRIORS 6 at AMI Stadium.

Biggest Head-To-Head Wins

WESTS TIGERS 50 d. WARRIORS 4 at AMI Stadium, 2004.
WARRIORS 36 d. WESTS TIGERS 14 at Campbelltown Sports Stadium, 2002.

Gates Open: 3.45pm
3.50pm:
Rd 1 Schoolboy Cup: St Gregorys College Campbelltown v Bass High

5.20pm: Toyota Cup kick-off

7.35pm: NRL kick-off.

Should be a cracker game!
Cambo always has an awesome atmosphere on Friday nights. Hopefully the club has a few fireworks too like they did at that Bulldogs game in 04

Coming off the back of a win, let's hope the crowd is a good one!

@Balmain Bug said:
If the Fonz picks his standard bench , they will put 30 on us.

Hmmmm… not sure about that.... i am very confident we will come away with the 2 points .... :righton:

@Balmain Bug said:

:laughing: Did you happen to watch the Souths game V Warriors on the weekend…Only 30.....

@KingOvKingz09 said:
@Balmain Bug said:

Hmmmm… not sure about that.... i am very confident we will come away with the 2 points .... :righton:

With Daniela in the centres and Brown on the bench, it could become the biggest loss in the history of the club. Dont get me wrong, I will be there screaming my guts out for us every second of the game, but it will be a massive flogging against us.

We need a strength and power game against them. They will kill us if the Fonz picks the same side.

@Balmain Bug said:
@KingOvKingz09 said:
@Balmain Bug said:

With Daniela in the centres and Brown on the bench, it could become the biggest loss in the history of the club. Dont get me wrong, I will be there screaming my guts out for us every second of the game, but it will be a massive flogging against us.

We need a strength and power game against them. They will kill us if the Fonz picks the same side.

I seriously doubt we will get flogged… if we do lose i think it will be by 4 - 12 points.... not a thrashing.... well i hope not anyway... :pray:

IMO the warriors play the same style of every team that has the wood on us, we should win but like bug said going light on the bench wont help our chances, maloney will probably miss out so that will weaken there halves, as long as we dont get stampeded we should have enough class to win at home, if we dont then like i said we wont make the finals if we lose to the warriors at a traditional home ground on a friday night

The Warriors have a very good recent record against the Tigers, and playing at Campbelltown has never worried them in the past, however I reckon the Tigers will get them this week. The Tigers really started to get their confidence back in the second half against Newcastle and I think the team will carry that into this week. Benji started to get his running game working again, Farah improved in the second half, Lui also looked better for the run and threw some good passes, and the forwards all went well.

The Warriors will be without Maloney for 1 week and Rapira is gone for the season, and Rapira had been their best forward this season too. They played in wet conditions against Souths and they will probably be a bit flat with the short turnaround IMO.

@willow said:
The Warriors have a very good recent record against the Tigers, and playing at Campbelltown has never worried them in the past, however I reckon the Tigers will get them this week. The Tigers really started to get their confidence back in the second half against Newcastle and I think the team will carry that into this week. Benji started to get his running game working again, Farah improved in the second half, Lui also looked better for the run and threw some good passes, and the forwards all went well.

The Warriors will be without Maloney for 1 week and Rapira is gone for the season, and Rapira had been their best forward this season too. They played in wet conditions against Souths and they will probably be a bit flat with the short turnaround IMO.

True… i hope its good weather on friday night.... good weather = a good turn out :smiley:

@KingOvKingz09 said:
@Balmain Bug said:

The king has spoken! :smiley:

And Tri likes what he is hearing!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm with you KingOvKingz09 I think we will get the 2 points!

Gotta wait to see what the Crystal Ball thinks later this week. :wink:

@willow said:

Maloney could play this week and Rapira is only out for 6 weeks.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=19308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@triserratops said:
@KingOvKingz09 said:
@Balmain Bug said:

The king has spoken! :smiley:

And Tri likes what he is hearing!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm with you KingOvKingz09 I think we will get the 2 points!

Gotta wait to see what the Crystal Ball thinks later this week. :wink:

haha thanks TRI…. BRING ON THE ALMIGHTY CRYSTAL BALL !!!! .... :master: :master: :master: :master:

would be great to beat the warriors at Campbelltown on fri night.
nice payback for the game in 2008, which they won, Wiki 300th game, which effectively ended wests-tigers chance at the finals.
win by one point or more, don't care how.
just win.

warriors won 2 in a row, surely they can't go 3 in a row..
we should win this, we really need to win this! some tough games coming up!

@steven_tiger said:
@willow said:

Maloney could play this week and Rapira is only out for 6 weeks.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=19308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awww nuts…I read earlier that Maloney would miss a week. Rapira is lucky, that injury did not look good in slo-mo.
\
\
Warriors without Rapira for six weeks
ROBERT LOWE
May 24, 2010 - 7:44PM

NZPA

Warriors prop Sam Rapira could be back on the field in just six weeks after being cleared of a potential season-ending knee ligament injury.

The Kiwi international went down early in the second half of Sunday's 26-24 win over Souths, with the initial prognosis being Rapira would need surgery.

It would have been a devastating blow for the Warriors, who are still without star front rower, Steve Price (heel) this season.

In the meantime young prop Russell Packer looks set to step up as the Auckland-based side's lead bookend, but Rapira won't be too far away.

"His ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) isn't torn as we thought it may have been," said Warriors doctor, John Mayhew.

"Instead he has a dislocated patella. Surgery won't be required and with rehabilitation it's possible he could be back in six weeks."

Five-eighth James Maloney, who was also forced off the field after only 24 minutes on Sunday, has bad bruising to his back.

He was moving more freely on Monday and is rated a chance of being fit to play against Wests Tigers in Friday night's round 12 clash at Campbelltown Stadium.

But with their forwards stocks tested, Rapira has been arguably the Warriors best player this season and coach Ivan Cleary believes he has what it takes to lift as a regular starter.

Cleary has noted a change in Packer's approach over the past couple of weeks and that had translated into his two best performances of the season.

"He's going to become even more important for us now," Cleary said.

"He's still a 20-year-old kid but he's just shown a bit more maturity around the traps and it's obvious in his preparation."

Levin-born Packer already has 35 NRL matches to his name, having made his NRL debut at 18.

Cleary, who has now guided the Warriors to 52 victories, taking him one ahead of Daniel Anderson for the most wins by a coach of the Warriors, praised the effort and determination his undermanned side showed against the Rabbitohs.

"It was tough," he said.

"You lose two guys and two key men as well with half the game to go. It puts a dent in our stocks."

One real positive was seeing skipper Simon Mannering, back after seven weeks out with a hamstring complaint, came through 80 minutes without any problems.

There was also hope that Manu Vatuvei might be able to return to face the Tigers in what would be the giant winger's 100th NRL match.

"He's progressing well at the moment," Cleary said.

"We travel Thursday, so basically he has to be ready by Wednesday. It's a day-by-day thing. It would certainly be nice to have him there."

Injury has restricted Vatuvei to just five appearances, three of which he couldn't go the distance, including his last match, when he hobbled off against the Cowboys with a lower leg problem.

However, he is still the club's top try-scorer, having dotted down six times.

I'm with the Bug. Wests need a bench with starch and impact. To surrender a bench spot to a winger is ludicrous when it could go to another prop or backrower which will provide impact and energy for a Tigers pack that needs to go forward and lay a platform against the might and size of the Warriors pack. Especially considering Wests are without Galloway as well. The more size the better against this big mob. Replace Brown/Fitzhenry with Davis. That would be the change i'd make.

We will always carry a winger on the bench as Timothy remembers the time back in 1922 when one of his backs were injured. Thankfully he was carrying a winger on the bench

Back