What could have been

Spacecub

morning guys….sat last night after that debacle and thought how has my team sunk to such a low point....and it's really quite obvious Retention and recruitment...unfortunately we have been managed by a group that would struggle to manage a Bunnings carp ark sausage sizzle
Had a think about the players we have punted, and came up with a team we could have had on the park last night....without going through each teams roster,this is what I came up with anyone I have forgotten have your say

Tedesco
Josh addo Carr
Blake Ashford
Moses suli
Korrebeti
Blake Austin / benji
Luke brooks
Chris Lawrence
Curtis sironen
Chris heington
Martin tapou
Robbin Farah
Andrew Fifita

Some of you wont agree with a few of the positions....but I don't think that side would be in the position we are now

Of course Helmsley…totally agree just throwing it out there about a side I would like to have....yes players come and go but with a good front office some of those guys would still be with us

Not sure they would go much better against the broncos than the side we put out last night. When you are trying to use Blake Ayshford as a player we should regret losing, you are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

We made the decision to gamble our future on some really promising juniors. At the time I thought this was a great idea as we didn't have the money/facilities/coaching/culture to attract top players for the right price. Turns out our gamble was a massive fail… now it is back to the drawing board. We can't pursue juniors as we don't have the talent we once had. Now we have to try and gamble on some astute buys on the open player market. Here we go again....

@ said:
You lost me at Ayshford. :roll

I admit he wasnt a great player…but look what we had last night....a couple of penrith supporters at work asked me why did we buy zelenzniac..my answer was because thats what we do

The other two clubs that develop juniors are Penrith and Auckland, and neither of those clubs are setting the world on fire either. I want to keep signing players, but talented youngsters brought into ISP this year. They are cheaper and someone else has already done the ground work.

As for the team in the OP, we can't keep wishing we still had talented players like Benji and Ayshford when they were in their prime. They are not those players any more and I am glad we moved them on.

@ said:
The other two clubs that develop juniors are Penrith and Auckland, and neither of those clubs are setting the world on fire either. I want to keep signing players, but talented youngsters brought into ISP this year. They are cheaper and someone else has already done the ground work.

As for the team in the OP, we can't keep wishing we still had talented players like Benji and Ayshford when they were in their prime. They are not those players any more and I am glad we moved them on.

I know murf…but we cant keep developing juniors for other clubs...but have we moved on?...Ava could be a big loss i feel we have kept worse players than Ava....time will tell....in im starting to question nofoaluma being resigned

@ said:
@ said:

I know murf…but we cant keep developing juniors for other clubs...but have we moved on?...Ava could be a big loss i feel we have kept worse players than Ava....time will tell....in im starting to question nofoaluma being resigned

Nofoa is a winger, he was signed for his meters. Cleary can improve his positional play in defence. I am more concerned at the likes of Chee Kam and Felise as these guys haven't really kicked on.

You have to understand that for many years now we haven't had the full cap to use to retain players. That started under Sheens and previous management and …. here we are.

Geezuz even last year there was talk of moving someone on to ease the cap pressure.

However, even understanding that 2018 we were going to be cap flushed, Woods, Tedesco and Moses still would not commit. When we signed McQueen and Matulino I thought that may convince Woods to stay because he/they had already stated that they wanted to see signings moving forward.

Just confirms that they had already signed elsewhere.

Its culture, not money that's killing us.

Clubs like Brisbane and Melbourne (Cronulla discovered it recently and Saints this year) have superstars, but the team comes before the individual - superstars and the influential members make the talented juniors and even the not so talented better people and better players.

In 2005, Prince, O'Neil, Skando positively influenced the young talent - unfortunately, the likes of Farah & Benji made it all about themselves when they were handed the mantle… and Woods et al have followed suit.

Hence, Cleary is having to import culture.

Honestly the OP team can easily be beat. In fact I'm sure something very close to that side has taken the paddock circa 2014.

Ok since no one else has said the obvious I'll say it, Stupid Thread.

Back