What's In The Media ~ Other Than Footy

Status
Not open for further replies.
👏👏👏

National
NSW & ACT
Courts & Law
Protester who blocked Sydney Harbour Bridge sent to prison
A magistrate has dubbed a protester who blocked the Sydney Harbour Bridge as “childish” and “selfish” before sentencing her to prison............

More

Now bailed until March pending appeal.... I doubt she'll go back in... Just in time for Christmas eh?

If you have a subscription post a snippet.
These photos were taken nearly 30 years apart.

One shows a young and aspiring Michael Maguire attempting to carve out a successful first grade at Canberra in the early 1990s.

The other shows the same man – a little older and wiser – back in the same lime green colours carving out a new coaching role back at the Raiders.

His appearance may have changed over time but his passion for Canberra hasn’t waned. Maguire spoke publicly on Monday for the first time about his anticipated return to Canberra after a 30-year absence.

After admitting he had “moved on” from his Wests Tigers demise, the former South Sydney premiership-winning coach joined Ricky Stuart’s staff for the 2023 season as the club’s senior NRL consultant.

He stepped out in Canberra’s famous colours once again just a few days ago after returning to Australia from the rugby league World Cup, where he coached New Zealand into the semi-finals.

“It’s ironic to be back 30-odd years after I arrived here,” Maguire said.

“Canberra has always held a special place in my heart and I’ve always had a great passion for the Raiders. I actually supported Canberra as a kid. Guys like Gary Belcher and Bradley Clyde were my favourites players back then. It was the club which gave me my first opportunity.

“I fell out of the club as a player through injury quite early actually. That pulled me up. Mal (Meninga, then head coach) got me back in to help out as an assistant coach and then with some strength and conditioning work.

“I was fortunate to play with Mal. We stayed in touch after I finished and asked that I come back in, help out and stay around the game, which is something that I wanted.

“I learnt my trade and then Matty Elliott came in (as Canberra coach) and asked me to be an assistant coach, full-time. I then landed down in Melbourne and they rolled through to grand finals and I saw that club rise.

“I went overseas and applied what I learned and had some joy over there.

“‘Bellyache’ (Craig Bellamy) got me down to Melbourne for five years and I was then at Wigan for two seasons. Then there was Souths for six years and the last period at Wests Tigers for three years. It’s been a great ride.

“I’m an old bastard now.”

Maguire shifted to Canberra after being sacked by Wests Tigers in June. He elected against commenting on his demise at Concord but it’s fair to say he will be keen for Canberra’s round 14 game against Wests Tigers and the return match at GIO Stadium in round 23.

The two sides also meet in a trial match at Belmore Sports Ground on February 19.

“I’ve moved on (from Wests Tigers) – there’s no point looking back,” Maguire said.

Maguire said Canberra’s current roster is enamoured with the club’s rich history of past champions.

“I started here in ’92 but Ricky was here before me. I enjoyed my time playing with him (Stuart) and enjoy being with him again now. It’s been good,” Maguire said.

“And I tell you what is really noticeable - the recognition of the past greats at the club and how the young ones want to aspire to be like they were.

“The former greats are in and around the club and the old boys are talked about a lot at this club. The young blokes – even the older players – talk about having those old boys being part of the club.

“So as an old boy coming back, it’s actually really enjoyable. I was very fortunate to come into the club when some of the best were playing in the game. They’re my memories from the 1990s.

“There was a time back then half the Australian team and half the Kiwi side were playing at Canberra.”

Now 48, Maguire played 11 first grade matches for Canberra between 1992 and 1996. He brings an incredible coaching CV to Canberra – he has won grand finals in both hemispheres - and will give the Raiders a decisive edge.

“I just want to help ‘Sticky’ and for the club to be the best they can be,” he said. “It’s an exciting group – they a have lot of good youth coming through and some exciting young backs like Xavier Savage, Matt Timoko, Seb Kris.

“And then you’ve got a good sprinkling of the older guys too upfront that steer the ship. It’s a good blend.

“‘Sticky’ has got me doing a bit of everything. I’m across the defence and am helping out wherever I can. That’s really what my role is, helping with the various experiences I have had. Wherever I can help, I will help.

“I’m really enjoying coaching the players on the field. It’s a good, strong club. These are exciting times but there’s lots of work to do.”

I agree as well but getting no jail time for being a pedophile and getting that term for protesting against climate change doesn't sit at all well with me.

I don't agree with the climate change protestors. They are up in arms about temperatures rising by 1.5 degrees when temperatures have already risen by 1.1 degrees. They do though have a point.

I just can't get my head around these two extreme examples here though.
Is global warming really a thing up until 1974/75 were heading into a ice age time magazine television articles in the papers plastered everywhere doctor Spock was an ambassador for the up coming ice age every year it's getting cold England had pack ice all around it hard for shipping then 1976 very hot summer the ice melts then global warming funny

A lot of the independent studys show it's the solar system heating and cooling with sun spots and at the moment we have the same weather patterns from 134 years ago and I have been going to the same beach for a very long time and see no difference in the water levels in the rock pools from when I was a child

“‘Sticky’ has got me doing a bit of everything. I’m across the defence and am helping out wherever I can. That’s really what my role is, helping with the various experiences I have had. Wherever I can help, I will help.
Whoopsie Daisey Rick.
I’d reassign that role.

I have been going to the same beach for a very long time and see no difference in the water levels in the rock pools from when I was a child

Your evidence is anecdotal and I think a lot of the evidence that people use is anecdotal. I mean that on both sides. The floods and fires were stated to be evidence of climate change. I don't think anyone can prove these events confirm or deny climate change is occurring.

I'm pretty confident though that we've had temperature increases of 1.1 degrees. I don't think many scientists dispute this. I also don't think anyone can dispute that temperature increases of 3 to 4 degrees would be catastrophic.

The best line I've heard recently is it's better if we are causing it because then we may be able to fix it.

Your evidence is anecdotal and I think a lot of the evidence that people use is anecdotal. I mean that on both sides. The floods and fires were stated to be evidence of climate change. I don't think anyone can prove these events confirm or deny climate change is occurring.

I'm pretty confident though that we've had temperature increases of 1.1 degrees. I don't think many scientists dispute this. I also don't think anyone can dispute that temperature increases of 3 to 4 degrees would be catastrophic.

The best line I've heard recently is it's better if we are causing it because then we may be able to fix it.
I’d rather a degree of warming than a degree or two the other way.

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens can still recall working with Ben Kennedy, the premiership winner and international star forward who made the switch to league after graduating from St Joseph’s College and spending a few years in club rugby.

Nearly 30 years later, Sheens would love a similar success story with another Ben: Ben Houston, who also attended Joey’s, captained Randwick’s First XV this winter, and is now chasing his own NRL dream.Houston, 23, was handed a $1000-a-week train-and-trial deal and no certainty to land a top-30 spot at the Tigers.

He had to spend the first couple of weeks learning how to play the ball again and adjusting to the 10m rule. As a proud No.6 in rugby, Houston also had to break the habit of wanting to forever drift out to the edges in search of the ball.

Should Houston fall short in his quest to land a deal, he knows he can return to the Galloping Greens, and put his recently completed construction design degree to good use.

At 196cm and 104kg, Houston, a budding front-tower, says he has loved every minute of pre-season training with the Tigers, learned plenty from new recruit David Klemmer, and set himself the lofty goal of going all the way.

Sheens was never going to compare Houston to Kennedy, who he recruited during his time at the Canberra Raiders, but pointed out a strong rugby background was never a bad thing when it came to making the switch.

“I’ve seen some outstanding guys come across from rugby and go on with it, with Ben Kennedy being your classic success story,” Sheens told the Herald.

“Ben had played a bit of league as a kid, and we picked him up when he was playing rugby with Manly.

“Ben Houston has the rugby background, also went to Joey’s, he’s a good athlete, a big, rangy guy who is full-on with everything he does.

“The fact he was captain at Randwick and their leading tackler, I was happy for us to have a look at him.

“At this point he’s improving with every session, his attitude has been great, he moves well, now it’s just a case of giving him an opportunity to see how he goes in a game.”

Houston played in a Waratahs A game in September, but any progression into the Super Rugby set-up “fizzled out”. A family friend of his father, Mark, a long-time first-grader with Eastwood, gauged interest from some league clubs about a summer trial, and the Tigers agreed.

“He’s been unreal, and he’s almost taken me under his wing a bit,” Houston said.

“He’s a terrific player and learned so much from him already. It’s also easier seeing a taller player do what he does, so then I know where to put my arms and legs.

“My mates are now at the age where they feel the contact from being hit in rugby more, and are starting to knuckle down in their work careers.

“I’ve already got my degree to fall back on, so I really want to test myself and see how far I can go. The goal is to land a top-30 contract.”

The Tigers have 28 players signed for next season, and do not have to add their final two spots until the middle of the year. John Bateman is expected to fill one of those spots before the season kicks off, while Parramatta’s Nathan Brown has met and impressed Sheens, but the club are mindful of having too many middles.

Tigers

The burning issue: Can Tim Sheens still work his magic? The 72-year-old has been bullish about the Tigers’ prospects on the paddock and in the market, insistent the 10 years that passed since he last coached in the NRL haven’t dulled his coaching nous in the slightest.

RELATED ARTICLE​

Ben Houston and Ben Kennedy

NRL 2023

Randwick captain’s bold bid to earn stripes as prop with Wests Tigers

Money matters: John Bateman is expected to wind up at Concord, with Mitchell Moses next on the club’s radar and Nathan Brown another prospective option in the middle. Massive retention calls to be made on Luke Brooks, Adam Doueihi and Daine Laurie.

All eyes on: Brooks. A slew of signings up front, headlined by David Klemmer, Isaiah Papalii and Api Koroisau, along with the returns of Alex Twal and Stefano Utoikamanu make this a Wests Tigers pack like few others Brooks has played behind. Now or never for the playmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Back