What's the Plan....

Geo

Staff member
Forum Leader
…..to beat the Scum.......

I can only think of one....smash Watmough.......

How do we beat them?.....you all must have some thoughts.....

Tackle, limit mistakes in own half, good kick chase. Patience in attack. Be confident, believe in yourself and your team mates
\
\
\
…..... oh and score more points :sunglasses:

Watch out for George Rose close to the try-line, he was barged over for about four or five tries in the last three games. Not bad for a prop…

Limit the second phase play. Don't drop off the tackles. They have so much firepower in the middle of the park.

don't drift across when defending our tryline. Orford and watmough will tear is a new one.

Use the up-and-in compressed defence the Tigers have used the last couple of weeks. Manly like to start by dominating up front so with compressing the defence we can get numbers in the tackles and shut them down early if the players are switched on for a big game. This can also help shut down Whatmough, as he will like to either run wide of ruck, or angle a run behind the markers and try to catch them out in the ruck.

Manly won't have too many flash plays in their backline. Lyon will run the ball a bit and either go himself or look to link with Matai and the Williams' and hope that their strong running creates damage. The Tigers defence out wide has been good of late, but I expect Benji will have some traffic coming his way, so hopefully Benji, and whoever is inside and outside of him communicate and get the job done in defence.

In attack I think the Tigers best bet is to play direct and hopefully catch Manly out around the ruck. Look for Farah to get out of dummyhalf and Gallant sniffing around the ruck hopefully. Benji and Moltzen give the Tigers options on both sides of the ruck. Moltzen needs to back himself and continue to run the ball. He has a good step and very good pace, so he could cause Manly some problems if their defence is caught short. Been a few weeks since Benji has had a blinder so hopefully he has some good early touches and builds on that. Lawrence and Tuiaki need plenty of ball in this one too. They are the Tigers main strikeplayers out wide and Manly don't have anyone in their side that can match Lawrence for pace if he goes through a hole.

A good kicking game is essential and I'd be kicking for the corners so that either of the Williams takes the first hitup. Need to make Manly work it out from their own end all night if possible and tire their forwards out this way.

It's a fairly basic plan but hopefully if the Tigers execute well, then they can take Manly down.

Go high, go often… Must play the ball 3 wide off the ruck to try to spread the compression defence. Robbo positional play is still quite poor at fullback, plenty of space between him and the frontline.

Most of our tries are scored by getting the defence moving sideways (sliding) and then hitting the line withan extra man. You need to compress prior to this occuring.

Need any more tips?

@AmericanHistoryX said:
just do what parra's doing.

Great idea. There's a problem though. Wests don't have a Jarryd Hayne. Where can we get one of those?

-Line Speed (Get up and meet 'em; Do not let Orford run)
-Aggression (Make presence felt in defence)
-Build pressure (Repeat sets, hold the pill, do not surrender possession)
-Aerial assault on the back three (Wolfman, Robbo and T-Rex are all suspect under the high ball)

Manly's attack is not what it used to be. The Newcastle game showed this - they are slow and sideways moving. However, if you give them enough ball (like Newcastle did) they will eventually score through sheer weight of possession. Ball control will win the game for Wests.

We can't afford to drop the ball coming out of our own quarter after scoring points like we did against Canberra. Good teams punish you for that.

We will win tonight but lose to the Roosters on Sunday.

I would mix up the left side defence a bit and move TNT in one to come up against Matai direct, I think Benji can handle Williams without too much hassle.

And fans do your part. Stand at various points around the ground with large cut outs of Watmoughs ex missus holding an AVO. It will disorient him

They have some forwards that can tire a bit up the middle so if we can get some quick play the balls we have the guys that can do some damage up there.

@smeghead said:
I would mix up the left side defence a bit and move TNT in one to come up against Matai direct, I think Benji can handle Williams without too much hassle.

And fans do your part. Stand at various points around the ground with large cut outs of Watmoughs ex missus holding an AVO. It will disorient him

Benji will need plenty of support in defence as Watmough and co will be running at him - particularly close to the line. I do like your thinking there Smeghead - with both your points! Perhaps we could hold some pictures up of some naked pigs to distract Lyon also?

@Gobbs said:
@AmericanHistoryX said:

Great idea. There's a problem though. Wests don't have a Jarryd Hayne. Where can we get one of those?

-Aerial assault on the back three (Wolfman, Robbo and T-Rex are all suspect under the high ball)

we did have a jarryd hayne.

@Gobbs said:
@AmericanHistoryX said:

We have a Robbie Farah and a Benji Marshall, which I would take over Hayne anyday.

@smeghead said:

:laughing: Hahaha Thats a classic right there! If only i were able to be there tonight, but will be watching on loudly at home :slight_smile: Hopefully the boys produce good defence for starters then our attack can do the work COME ON TIGERS

Back