Which team will get the 18th Franchise

I. Agree... I doubt they'd be based PNG, and if so it's not really a PNG team is it?

Would the people of Cairns and surrounds take to them?

This.needs.to be done right but it seems like a few too many hurdles to achieve that

Well I do think that if Albo is having any second thoughts, the riots this week give him the perfect opportunity to change tack and say sorry but it’s now a no.
Will save the Govt money as well as saving face. And let’s face it, there should be other things we can do to support PNG v China infiltration.
Cairns doesnt have the popukation to support an NRL side. The population is akin to the Gold Coast due to the many things that you can do in the area that doesnt include football.

Once or twice a year you could get a decent crowd but thats it.

I. Agree... I doubt they'd be based PNG, and if so it's not really a PNG team is it?

Would the people of Cairns and surrounds take to them?

This.needs.to be done right but it seems like a few too many hurdles to achieve that
Technically no it wouldn’t be a PNG team, but whether Cairns would get behind it who knows. Maybe they will given they will have a NRL team, but most likely would prefer it as an Aussie club if you know what I mean.

I’m not speaking for everyone here…but I believe Cairns will not support this PNG team as our own. Not unless some decent representation from locals are included within the top 30.
HOWEVER…the crowds will turn up every second week to watch whatever NRL side is visiting.

I agree with the consensus re. the PNG/Cairns team. Similar issue with a joint Pacific team.

The only team that makes sense financially, population-wise, revenue, timezone, state-of-the-art stadium and really puts the N in NRL, is Perth.

Perth Bears? Perth Jets? Or a new name would probably be even better. Regardless, it's almost a no brainer.

I agree with the consensus re. the PNG/Cairns team. Similar issue with a joint Pacific team.

The only team that makes sense financially, population-wise, revenue, timezone, state-of-the-art stadium and really puts the N in NRL, is Perth.

Perth Bears? Perth Jets? Or a new name would probably be even better. Regardless, it's almost a no brainer.
Yeah after reading all the excellent posts and points put forth in this thread I can only see Perth or South Island NZ as viable options
Perth has that great new stadium.... Has some grass roots infrastructure already in place and would be easier in the battle with the local RU than it would be in NZ.
Timeslots are good but limited really... 8om games aest times probably the only option... That problem. I guess is similar to the Warriors but nothing.major.
Perth.also.has AFL to contend with something the NZ option doesnt.
I'm leaning to NZ myself but wouldn't mind Perth.... Adelaide, Darwin Gosford Tassie no chance

Yeah after reading all the excellent posts and points put forth in this thread I can only see Perth or South Island NZ as viable options
Perth has that great new stadium.... Has some grass roots infrastructure already in place and would be easier in the battle with the local RU than it would be in NZ.
Timeslots are good but limited really... 8om games aest times probably the only option... That problem. I guess is similar to the Warriors but nothing.major.
Perth.also.has AFL to contend with something the NZ option doesnt.
I'm leaning to NZ myself but wouldn't mind Perth.... Adelaide, Darwin Gosford Tassie no chance
Perth games could be anytime sat or sun.

PNG brings 10 million new fans.

The Hunters worked out fine, and so will this team. The pearl clutchers horrified that Papuans are poorer than Australians or that they occasionally get over excited and run amok a bit - harden up.

Another QLD team, another NZ team, Central Coast etc don't bring new fans, they just cannibalise existing teams fan bases. (Perth would be good though)

The Hunters worked out fine, and so will this team. The pearl clutchers horrified that Papuans are poorer than Australians or that they occasionally get over excited and run amok a bit - harden up.

Another QLD team, another NZ team, Central Coast etc don't bring new fans, they just cannibalise existing teams fan bases. (Perth would be good though)
I don't think you can write off 22 deaths to 'they get over excited'

That’s not the issue . The issue is having a competitive football team , that is both attractive to players , but also corporate sponsors and the wider NRL community .
It’s hardly a good look bringing in a team who gets lapped every game , and are playing in conditions that even appear to be 3rd world on an elite sporting broadcast .
Not to mention once the government changes who fits the bill , for any gaps in payment . Because much like the GWS they would need a higher cap to allow for the obvious constraints to compete in the marketplace .
It’s not pearl clutching to ask is this really something worth pursuing , outside of the obvious political advantages .
It’s the most elite rugby league competition in the world , and would the introduction of this team , weaken the product , once the initial honeymoon period is over .

Reactions: BZN
That’s not the issue . The issue is having a competitive football team , that is both attractive to players , but also corporate sponsors and the wider NRL community .
It’s hardly a good look bringing in a team who gets lapped every game , and are playing in conditions that even appear to be 3rd world on an elite sporting broadcast .
Not to mention once the government changes who fits the bill , for any gaps in payment . Because much like the GWS they would need a higher cap to allow for the obvious constraints to compete in the marketplace .
It’s not pearl clutching to ask is this really something worth pursuing , outside of the obvious political advantages .
It’s the most elite rugby league competition in the world , and would the introduction of this team , weaken the product , once the initial honeymoon period is over .
The Hunters thrived at Queensland Cup level from the start. I think there's no reason they can't do the same at NRL level. Even if soft Aussies are too posh to live there, there is a wealth of homegrown untapped talent. And I'm sure someone from e.g. Fiji would be more than happy to move to a fellow Melanesian country like PNG to receive an NRL salary

(such a salary would make you a king in PNG, whereas in Sydney such a salary gets blown entirely on a 3mx3m studio apartment with no toilet)

I don’t think it’s pearl clutching to say that the average player who’s grown up and lived their whole life in Australia would find living in PNG on the nose. These are guys who earn millions of dollars. Doubt many will be keen to live in a third world country.

I don’t think it’s pearl clutching to say that the average player who’s grown up and lived their whole life in Australia would find living in PNG on the nose. These are guys who earn millions of dollars. Doubt many will be keen to live in a third world country.
Refer to post above.

They can easily field a competitive team without a need for posh softcock Aussies who don't want to move somewhere where they can't get a weekly bum crack wax and smoked caviar cupcakes.

Refer to post above.

They can easily field a competitive team without a need for posh softcock Aussies who don't want to move somewhere where they can't get a weekly bum crack wax and smoked caviar cupcakes.
They won’t last getting beaten by 40 every week. The NRL would want Aussie players to make them competitive.

The Hunters thrived at Queensland Cup level from the start. I think there's no reason they can't do the same at NRL level. Even if soft Aussies are too posh to live there, there is a wealth of homegrown untapped talent. And I'm sure someone from e.g. Fiji would be more than happy to move to a fellow Melanesian country like PNG to receive an NRL salary

(such a salary would make you a king in PNG, whereas in Sydney such a salary gets blown entirely on a 3mx3m studio apartment with no toilet)
You’re living in a fantasy land my guy . It’s a huge step up from Q cup/ NSW cup to nrl . One game …. Sure … they will be competitive . The nrl is 27 rounds .
Corporate sponsors is a the biggest issue and financial backing .
And it’s not soft to not want to live in Port Moresby / cairns . It’s about quality of life ie. you may not find extreme humidity , and the general life of living in the tropics to be desirable .
So the team would need a higher salary cap and pay extreme overs to attract talent .

They won’t last getting beaten by 40 every week. The NRL would want Aussie players to make them competitive.
People said the same about the Hunters and they killed it.

The PNG Kumuls national side would beat the Tigers 2022/2023 team any day of the week, and any of those Kumuls players would happily sign for a PNG NRL team.

People said the same about the Hunters and they killed it.

The PNG Kumuls national side would beat the Tigers 2022/2023 team any day of the week, and any of those Kumuls players would happily sign for a PNG NRL team.
Qld Cup isn’t NRL

Refer to post above.

The Hunters have been in the QLD Cup for a decade and produced just Olam . The team will be chock full on non papuans.

Members online

Back