Who are we freeing money up for?

Tommy Magpie

We are getting rid of Haletau, Collis and Morris. These 3 would have all been on decent coin.

We have signed Brown, Daniela and Tamata. These guys would not have broken the bank.

So, the question is, who are we freeing up our money for? Is there a big name in sight for 2010, or are we saving it for a decent crack at somone for 2011 (Burgess??).

Or possibly we are not spending our full cap.

@Tommy Magpie said:
We are getting rid of Haletau, Collis and Morris. These 3 would have all been on decent coin.

We have signed Brown, Daniela and Tamata. These guys would not have broken the bank.

So, the question is, who are we freeing up our money for? Is there a big name in sight for 2010, or are we saving it for a decent crack at somone for 2011 (Burgess??).

Or possibly we are not spending our full cap.

We may not be spending our full cap and we may have to accomodate for backloaded contracts.

Yeah I would imagine this next season is about consolidation of position and ridiing ourselves of past bad management deals.

Also alot of youth promotion it seems so we will see where each of those cases goes and recruit where needed I guess

save the money we constantly have the best bench every game . If we buy any1 else it would have to be quality but looking at the future prospects we have coming through i would be getting prepared to holding onto them against the sharks our pack looked like a city/country pack !. there cant be much of the cap left halway through next year with upgrades . I havent heard of willie mataka lately any news , he is the younger halatau replacement .

If you sum up our recruitment and retention this year, i think it points to a balancing of the books. Contracts backloaded, players who haven't reached the value perhaps they could've. Things like that. Perhaps 2010 will give us a better chance to sign "top" talent and not back up.

@Kaiser said:
@izotope said:
Lote Tuquiri lets hope :smiley:

Stuff him… Sam Burgees!!!

We'll send em Payne

Agree,Lote would be good,but Burgess or some other decent prop would be better.

I think they might be saving up to buy Fitzy back.

Fingers crossed.

Doesn't Tim Moltzens contract finish next year? He will be getting a big pay rise. Tuiaki maybe as well but his a winger and you can't spend heaps on them.

I do think we are getting rid of deadwood and all associated problems with back-loading, etc. There is also a youth policy seemingly in motion and younger blokes without FG experience don't ask for too much.

anyone but lote tuquiri.
i cant think of anything worse than paying a winger 400k a year.

What people forget to is that when players re-sign some of them go up in value - such as Robbie and that young blokes once they make an impression in First grade earn more money or a lot would have clauses in contracts about if they play so many first grade games etc - in Saying that I hope we sign Lote - as it would be more like 150k and we would have the best backline in the comp while our pack looks ok but could do with another forward

The better we go the more it costs to keep our players, we will need a kings ransom just retain what we have by the end of season 2010\. The market is very skinny when it comes to skill based players and we have more than our fair share. Although my theory on this is, you can pluck one of our player and put in another team and he would flounder (say Moltzen for example)and its more about a collective effort or skill based team work. I have seen when a big name forward has say left the dogs and struggled at his new club because they dont have the forward strength he was used to. Anyway the point to all this dribble we must not get carried away when resigning players, its all about the right balance and it is pointless to pay overs if it means you will not be able to get the right balance with your other players

@red dogg said:
wish we had a go at dave taylor, how good is he going at the moment….....

He seems to me like another Ben Te'o. Terrific when you're on the front foot and he's great at running in the centres, but you don't see him much when the hard work is needed up the middle.

In saying that, I think he's a much better version of Te'o.

Sign Lote for next year and once Burgess' contract is up in 2011 we send em Lote and Burgess comes and joins the Tigers

@Tigersfan said:
I think they might be saving up to buy Fitzy back.

Fingers crossed.

Interesting, how old is he now? I suppose he could cover a couple of positions if he's still got it?

fingers crossed for burgess but then again i would love to sign up lote.. and if we get lote we dont have to keep tupou around anymore.. that means he will get a pay rise to join balmain

Latest posts

Members online

Back