Why absent Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah’s presence will be felt in clash with Canberra Raiders

Muffstar

Why absent Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah’s presence will be felt in clash with Canberra Raiders
• a day ago
• by NATHAN RYAN
• Source: FOX SPORTS

IF ever there was a game Robbie Farah wanted to play in, it would be this one.
Forget for a moment that Sunday’s clash would have been his farewell match for the Wests Tigers, ignore the fact it’s at their spiritual home of Leichhardt Oval and that it’s for a potential place in the finals.

This match against Canberra represents much more.
While the former skipper will be watching from the stands, his teammates will be running around in purple socks to raise awareness for pancreatic cancer.
It’s an initiative close to the hooker’s heart and one Farah introduced to the club.
Farah is an ambassador for the organisation ‘Purple Our World’ which was founded by Jessica Abelsohn in 2014.

Like Farah, she lost her mother Rochelle to the disease and round 26 is their big day to raise awareness to the silent killer.

“Robbie lost his mum in 2012 so we approached Robbie and chatted to him about getting involved,” Abelsohn told foxsports.com.au.

“He jumped on board and it skyrocketed from there. He suggested we get teams in the purple socks for one round and we approached the Tigers. They came on board very quickly due to Robbie’s influence. At the time he was the captain.”Robbie Farah and Keith Galloway on the bikes in their purple socks.
A veteran of 247 games, Farah has been limited to just nine games this year as the Tigers send their playing style in a different direction in an attempt to free up their young halves.
It’s a move which has Farah set to leave the club at the end of the year with his departure to help ease some salary cap pressure in the process.

While he won’t be able to model the socks over the weekend, he’ll still be involved in the cause by way of a promotional video.

“We film a video each year (and) some of Robbie’s family members are going to be involved this year,” Abelsohn revealed.

“Robbie’s involved in a broader perspective, not just the football. In saying that he’s quite supportive of the football despite the fact he’s not taking the field on Sunday, which is a bit upsetting for all of us involved.

“I’m sure it’s tough for him. It is a cause that’s very close to his heart. It’s got to be tough for him watching the boys running out with purple socks and he can’t take part. There’s not much we can do about it. It is what it is.”

The Tigers first wore the purple socks when they played St George Illawarra, who also donned the socks, last year Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall coming together for a #PurpleOurWorld.

The Dragons will again wear purple this weekend when they host Newcastle with Benji Marshall also affected by pancreatic cancer after losing his father to the disease seven years ago.
“Robbie mentioned to us that Benji Marshall lost his father, which is how we got the Dragons on board,” Abelsohn explained.

“Robbie said to us, why don’t we do the Tigers verse Dragons game last year and that’s how it all started. Both boys were very supportive of it and still are.
“Benji was very happy to support it again this year. It’s been a little more challenging with the Tigers with everything that’s been going on with Robbie but they’ve still come on board and been supportive and all the boys will be running out with purple socks on.”
The Raiders will also be supporting the cause by wearing purple and white socks.
\
\
Well done Robbie !

It puts the real meaning into "cancer" which most people have come across in their lives with friends and relatives.A very worthy cause and kudos to Robbie and the club for supporting it.

Just hope RF can nail his new deal with who ever today and than be allowed a massive LO send off, even if it is only doing a walk around the famous old ground for the last time. What ever you think of what has happen over the last year or two, Farah still will go down as one of our greats

@supercoach said:
Just hope RF can nail his new deal with who ever today and than be allowed a massive LO send off, even if it is only doing a walk around the famous old ground for the last time. What ever you think of what has happen over the last year or two, Farah still will go down as one of our greats

You would think he would have wanted to get it sorted prior for this happen, which leads me to believe it's all still up in the air and may be for some time.

He may not get a send off until next year.

Can almost here the crickets in this thread…...

I wonder if the club plan on doing anything to honour RF on Sunday?

Would be nice for the fans.

Robbie Farah deserves farewell at Leichhardt Oval, say Wests Tigers teammates

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/robbie-farah-deserves-farewell-at-leichhardt-oval-say-wests-tigers-teammates/news-story/1f87c0364d3844055573bb58d009f1a5
\
\
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph

September 1, 2016 6:22pm
\
\
\
\
WESTS Tigers players have pleaded with the club to give Robbie Farah a farewell at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday afternoon.

Farah, the face of change at the Tigers, hasn’t played first grade since being dropped to reserve grade by coach Jason Taylor six weeks ago.

Despite having a year to run on his contract, the veteran hooker is expected to sign a two-year deal with South Sydney in the coming days.

At this stage the Tigers have no plans to honour their former skipper and premiership winner because he is still under contract.

According to his teammates though, Farah has earned the right to join retiring 248-game veteran Dene Halatau with one final lap in front of the Leichhardt faithful.

“I think Robbie deserves a farewell if he signs somewhere else,” prop Sauaso Sue told The Daily Telegraph.

Robbie Farah is mobbed by fans after playing reserve grade for Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval earlier this year. Picture: Tim Hunter
“He is an incredible guy and he has done a lot for the club.

“Robbie has been a one-club man and he has played Origin and for Australia.

“I’m sad to see him leave, because he has helped me a lot with my game.”

Sue says Farah had handled his difficult demotion with class, especially considering his stature in the game.

“Robbie has really been professional about it,” he said.

“He is still training hard and doing the best he can outside of footy.

“I wouldn’t have handled it as well as he has.”

Long-serving Tiger Chris Lawrence was straight forward when quizzed about Farah’s dumping to reserve grade.

“I think both parties have just got to move on,” admitted Lawrence, who has played his entire career alongside Farah.

“It has been hanging around for too long and it just needs to settle.

“Robbie has been a teammate of mine for a number of years and a good mate.

“It’s disappointing he doesn’t get to play in these last few games, but that’s footy these days.”
\
\
\
\
Robbie Farah is expected to sign a two-year deal with South Sydney in the coming days. Picture: Gregg Porteous
Asked if Farah deserved a farewell at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday: Lawrence replied: “The fans would love that.

“Whether that ends up happening, I’m not quite sure.

“But I definitely think they would love to give him a farewell given he has been such a big part of this club.”

@851 said:
Robbie Farah deserves farewell at Leichhardt Oval, say Wests Tigers teammates

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/robbie-farah-deserves-farewell-at-leichhardt-oval-say-wests-tigers-teammates/news-story/1f87c0364d3844055573bb58d009f1a5
\
\
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph

September 1, 2016 6:22pm
\
\
\
\
WESTS Tigers players have pleaded with the club to give Robbie Farah a farewell at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday afternoon.

Farah, the face of change at the Tigers, hasn’t played first grade since being dropped to reserve grade by coach Jason Taylor six weeks ago.

Despite having a year to run on his contract, the veteran hooker is expected to sign a two-year deal with South Sydney in the coming days.

At this stage the Tigers have no plans to honour their former skipper and premiership winner because he is still under contract.

According to his teammates though, Farah has earned the right to join retiring 248-game veteran Dene Halatau with one final lap in front of the Leichhardt faithful.

“I think Robbie deserves a farewell if he signs somewhere else,” prop Sauaso Sue told The Daily Telegraph.

Robbie Farah is mobbed by fans after playing reserve grade for Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval earlier this year. Picture: Tim Hunter
“He is an incredible guy and he has done a lot for the club.

“Robbie has been a one-club man and he has played Origin and for Australia.

“I’m sad to see him leave, because he has helped me a lot with my game.”

Sue says Farah had handled his difficult demotion with class, especially considering his stature in the game.

“Robbie has really been professional about it,” he said.

“He is still training hard and doing the best he can outside of footy.

“I wouldn’t have handled it as well as he has.”

Long-serving Tiger Chris Lawrence was straight forward when quizzed about Farah’s dumping to reserve grade.

“I think both parties have just got to move on,” admitted Lawrence, who has played his entire career alongside Farah.

“It has been hanging around for too long and it just needs to settle.

“Robbie has been a teammate of mine for a number of years and a good mate.

“It’s disappointing he doesn’t get to play in these last few games, but that’s footy these days.”
\
\
\
\
Robbie Farah is expected to sign a two-year deal with South Sydney in the coming days. Picture: Gregg Porteous
Asked if Farah deserved a farewell at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday: Lawrence replied: “The fans would love that.

“Whether that ends up happening, I’m not quite sure.

“But I definitely think they would love to give him a farewell given he has been such a big part of this club.”

Brave man on the field, and off the field too Jesse Sue ..

@851'' said:

Except he hasn't. And for we all know, he might not. We thought he was gone last yr. A farewell when no deal has been announced would be presumptuous.

@Eddie said:

I wonder if the club plan on doing anything to honour RF on Sunday?

Would be nice for the fans.

No crickets from me, and im no fan of Robbies recent past.

He should be given a fitting farewell if he is leaving, but nothing has been announced. You cant do for something that hasnt happened.

And his support of this charity is very, very generous and inspirational. Well done Robbie.

@GNR4LIFE said:
@851'' said:

Except he hasn't. And for we all know, he might not. We thought he was gone last yr. A farewell when no deal has been announced would be presumptuous.

And if you were the cynical type you could understand why the club may be dragging out the deal to next week .
Not sure what they have got planned for the send off then …... But they won't let the fans down.

There is no announcement so I can't agree to a send off. I can't see him staying another year. Maybe the players know something we don't?

But it's not going to stop me from giving him a standing ovation if his there!

Gotta love the work Robbie does for Charity, sad he may not get a Farewell, though understand we can't give him one until its announced he's leaving.

@innsaneink said:
@Eddie said:

Which tells me the majority are sick of him and just want it done & dusted.
. Good cause the purple sox …

Id say the minority which you are part of. The majority of fans will always see him as a legend that helped put us out of our misery in 2005, and as a club legend who deserves a send of.

@tigers2005 said:
@innsaneink said:
@Eddie said:

Id say the minority which you are part of. The majority of fans will always see him as a legend that helped put us out of our misery in 2005, and as a club legend who deserves a send of.

It can be both. I'm sick of him and his manager and want him gone, but I won't forget what he has done for the club. Would love to see an announcement today and a packed Leichhardt cheering him off.

I don't like how a guy who performed as per his contract can be drummed out of the place and vilified. This is not the usual employer/employee situation at all. He may have deserved to lose the captaincy re Potter affair but nothing more but it was not taken off him and he resigned it. He had a back-ended contract for the benefit of the Club and now it is being used as a weapon to get rid of him. Does not sound fair at all.

@Masterton said:
@tigers2005 said:
@innsaneink said:
@Eddie said:

It can be both. I'm sick of him and his manager and want him gone, but I won't forget what he has done for the club. Would love to see an announcement today and a packed Leichhardt cheering him off.

I agree, I'm sick of the whole saga! I'm a tigers fan first and foremost but I'm also a fan of RF. No one person can be bigger than the club, not a player, coach or administrator. And I'm not saying that RF thinks he is.

This is not a conspiracy theory just thinking, I don't know that the club will want a send off, it's too risky. The coach and some of the board will be there and the ensuing emotion may carry across, mobs do crazy things and JT is already booed when his name gets announced, what may happen if we don't win or if Titans win tonight and we are not a chance of the 8? It's not a wise move on the clubs part to take that risk. The papers will have a field day and the club won't want the negative publicity and rightly so. They will do something after the event that will be a token and put the onus on the fans to attend?

Latest posts

Back