Woods and Fifita

NJLM78

I thought we made good metres in the second half when these two were out there together. They looked like our best forwards tonight but just didn't see enough game time.

Fifita was maybe a bit quiet in the first half, but there's no doubt he & Woods led the charge for us to get back in the game. Woods in particular worked his arse off during his time on the field. Wouldn't be surprised if he soon starts getting over 40 minutes on the field.

Fifita was good in patches, but I can't help but notice that he lacks the ability to take a normal hit up - straight up the middle. When he fiddles around and gets a bit of broken play he brushes defenders to the side like stray branches - and its awesome. But I want him to do more dirty stuff.

Woods was fine in his limited stint.

However, in general, aside from Ellis, our forward pack was pretty woeful tonight. We just didn't make an impact up the middle. Everytime we threw a play the Dogs were there to swamp us, because we hadn't put them on the back foot yet.

Ellis was ok but you could tell he was still feeling the effects of injury but I agree with thsi thread those 2 were our best forwards tonight

I agree, they played well with their limited time on field.
No point having em in your dream team if thats the minutes they'll be pulling in each week.

Maybe Fifita stepped up a notch as he saw Woods ready to take his place as the premier young prop in the rotation.

We Missed Bryce Gibbs.

Whats the go will Big Gall?

Fifita had a solid game while on ground, he does cause broken play which is great for a skillful side like ours..

Woods also done well for the amount of time he was on field on his debut. Hopefully Fifi gets more game time which each round, we are better with him on field..

These two have to be in the side next week, played brilliantly and really deserved their spots. Hopefully we can see them coming off the bench together and ensure their is no rest for the opposition

Out of the two, I think woods is definately the one that will develop into the 'Blocker Roach or Lazarus" type of prop forward & I can see why he is so highly rated & won't take long for him to get infront of Fifita in the pecking order… but Fifita is the more impact type of prop which is better suited to coming from the bench.
I would've like the see those two swap roles last night. How often did Woods get his arms free only to have no support...

Also I think Todd Payten will be put under pressure as well by these two (I love the bloke but..)

How fit was Fifita looking? Made a couple of great tackles from marker, defensive work was clearly better than last year.

Woods was great for the limited game time he got. Big boy with a great ability to get the ball free.

If we had to choose our bench with the return of Gibbo, I'd consider leaving Dwyer out for Woods and Fafita. They both had the attitude in attack and defense last night, and I'd give Fafita a go running on the fringes.

14\. Payten
15\. Fafita
16\. Woods
17\. Moltzen

@Cultured Bogan said:
How fit was Fifita looking? Made a couple of great tackles from marker, defensive work was clearly better than last year.

Woods was great for the limited game time he got. Big boy with a great ability to get the ball free.

If we had to choose our bench with the return of Gibbo, I'd consider leaving Dwyer out for Woods and Fafita. They both had the attitude in attack and defense last night, and I'd give Fafita a go running on the fringes.

14\. Payten
15\. Fafita
16\. Woods
17\. Moltzen

Agree with this.

Also, our backrow mostly play 80 minutes, so an extra prop would mean we would not be playing second rowers in the front row like Sheens loves to do.

Seeing Woods play was a highlight for me. I look forward to watching him develop and I hope he gets plenty of NRL time this season.

Fafita clearly had attitude which was something otherwise lacking against the aggressive doigs pack.

Fifita impressed me alot last night… Im not a huge fan of him because of his workrate in defence, but he changed that last night, and deserves a good wrap!!!

Its amazing what competition does, but Well Done Andrew!!!

Tiger Woods defended ok too, was a respectable debut.

Fifita clearly has the best fend in the game, he put a great shot on that hack Tolman. But I agree with the sentiment that sometimes he tries to fend off the entire opposition team rather than making direct yards.

@hybrid_tiger said:
@Cultured Bogan said:

14\. Payten
15\. Fafita
16\. Woods
17\. Moltzen

Agree with this.

Also, our backrow mostly play 80 minutes, so an extra prop would mean we would not be playing second rowers in the front row like Sheens loves to do.

x3.

@Tiger Watto said:
Fifita impressed me alot last night… Im not a huge fan of him because of his workrate in defence, but he changed that last night, and deserves a good wrap!!!

Its amazing what competition does, but Well Done Andrew!!!

Big of you considering he was the best player on the park for us

watch the replay in the light of day this morning, agree these 2 went well, thought Fifita was a much improved player from last year, looked fit and alot more mobile.
He did have a couple of good straight charges which i think was new as well.
The forwards as a hole went alot better than i remembered (after watching live), we actually had not much trouble going forward and stopped them reasonable well with a couple of exceptions. Fultons miss on morris the obvious exception.
Our last tackle options and effectiveness were deplorable, and we kicked (often poorly) on the 3rd and 4th way too often.
Robbie was very quiet in attack, defended well, but not himself, not sure why we played so conservative, it was leaving our best weapon (our creativity and flair) in the kit bag, hopefully we dont do that again!

Latest posts

Members online

Back