WT Sliding doors moments/ Turning points

bigsiro

I do believe that in the last decade Tigers fortunes would be totally different had two things happened:
(1) Had we kept Teddy. This is pretty obvious.
The day we lost him we all knew we were never gonna live that down. I don't know what we could have done to keep him, but WT management let us down bigger than ever, worse than seeing Benji in that Auckland Blues jersey and Farah/Taylor-gate. We weren't much when he left, but this was a turning point for the Tigers and the league in general, and everybody knew it.
(2) Had we nabbed Nathan Cleary. If so, we would still likely have Ivan as coach - and as much as I absolutely loathe the guy, he is good. I loved the "on the bus" tagline and I'm sure if had we nabbed Nathan (and by virtue relieved ourselves of Brooks at 7) we would have been far more successful. Once again, I don't know what could have been done, i.e. to get Nathan, but it is difficult not to blame the WT management for failing to recognize the magnitude of that moment and not putting it all on the line when it really mattered.

I'm sure there are other massive moments, but these stand out to me as changing the Tigers fortunes. Of course, had both (1) and (2) occurred we would be a completely different team and I believe100% we certainly would not be sitting here lamenting another failed season in a decade of failures.

@bigsiro said in [WT Sliding doors moments/ Turning points](/post/1334101) said:
I do believe that in the last decade Tigers fortunes would be totally different had two things happened:
(1) Had we kept Teddy. This is pretty obvious.
The day we lost him we all knew we were never gonna live that down. I don't know what we could have done to keep him, but WT management let us down bigger than ever, worse than seeing Benji in that Auckland Blues jersey and Farah/Taylor-gate. We weren't much when he left, but this was a turning point for the Tigers and the league in general, and everybody knew it.
(2) Had we nabbed Nathan Cleary. If so, we would still likely have Ivan as coach - and as much as I absolutely loathe the guy, he is good. I loved the "on the bus" tagline and I'm sure if had we nabbed Nathan (and by virtue relieved ourselves of Brooks at 7) we would have been far more successful. Once again, I don't know what could have been done, i.e. to get Nathan, but it is difficult not to blame the WT management for failing to recognize the magnitude of that moment and not putting it all on the line when it really mattered.

I'm sure there are other massive moments, but these stand out to me as changing the Tigers fortunes. Of course, had both (1) and (2) occurred we would be a completely different team and I believe100% we certainly would not be sitting here lamenting another failed season in a decade of failures.

Nothing we could do about number 2 - Nathan wanted to stay at Penrith and play with his mates from the juniors and we can now all see why. I think his father wanted him to come to the Tigers, so they could be together, but he just didn’t want to leave Penrith. This ultimately prompted Ivan to go back there also, albeit under crap circumstances.

Tedesco is a hard one, yes we could’ve moved heaven and earth to try and keep him, but I always had the feeling he just wanted to go elsewhere at first chance, turns out I was right. He doesn’t even acknowledge his time with us now, we are nothing to him.

Yeah Teddy was always gone as soon as a club like Easts showed interest.

Let's not forget he nearly walked out once before.

Teddy wanted out.. As do most players who have a stint here... He showed his form dogging the Raiders.
I'm sure Mbye can't wait to get out.
I wonder how Stefano feels now.
I see guys like Teddy, Paps, Momo and Corey killing it... Many others, some things on the nose here.
It's becoming clear 16 teams is probably one or two too many

Many people including myself believed that the clubs problems stemmed from the initial boardroom split of Balmain/Magpies being equal.With the demise of Balmain leagues that is no longer the case and the Magpies have control of the board.Nothing has changed apart from that,the level of incompetence from the board is staggering.People talk about certain players being the common factor in our poor performances but we have another factor which goes back a lot further a useless unaccountable board.
Since the inception of the JV our board has been terrible and only Marina Go has ever given me any confidence of change for the better.The cleanout needs to start from the top with a new independent board.
Sorry for the rant but it needed to be said

@jadtiger said in [WT Sliding doors moments/ Turning points](/post/1334476) said:
Many people including myself believed that the clubs problems stemmed from the initial boardroom split of Balmain/Magpies being equal.With the demise of Balmain leagues that is no longer the case and the Magpies have control of the board.Nothing has changed apart from that,the level of incompetence from the board is staggering.People talk about certain players being the common factor in our poor performances but we have another factor which goes back a lot further a useless unaccountable board.
Since the inception of the JV our board has been terrible and only Marina Go has ever given me any confidence of change for the better.The cleanout needs to start from the top with a new independent board.

Won't ever happen, there is only one mechanism for a clean out of the Board and that is to become a Wests Ashfield member (for at least three years) and vote the Board of Wests Ashfield out.

@jadtiger said in [WT Sliding doors moments/ Turning points](/post/1334476) said:

100% agree and winning the 2005 Grand final was the same as our forced marriage in 2000 that having a baby would bring us closer together but we were only hiding up the cracks which have got bigger each year.

Until Management is overhauled this crap will continue irrespective of the coach and players.

I worked years ago with a person who was friends with the Cleary's and Nathan was never leaving the Panthers. He is loyal to his mates and club. His Dad is a decent human and a great coach who wanted to coach his son so he had to go back to Penrith.

Teddy was always leaving us for a stronger club.

Not that it would happen but I would give the keys to Bellamy for a full overhaul.

@mike said in [WT Sliding doors moments/ Turning points](/post/1334489) said:

Won't ever happen, there is only one mechanism for a clean out of the Board and that is to become a Wests Ashfield member (for at least three years) and vote the Board of Wests Ashfield out.

Sadly i know that is true and it certainly wont change in my lifetime.In an ideal world we would have an independent group on the board making the decisions for the benefit of WT football club and not just to stay in power

I've come to believe that sacking Tim Sheens was the biggest turning point. That side being capable of finals football, some top-line emerging talent... we cut the cord on Sheens and everything unravels, the attack dries up, the club identity fades, the juniors leave. It coincides with a change in the style of rugby league, a rise of certain dominant clubs, and we "went back to the drawing board".

Sheens himself attempts some big changes in 2012 to change the club dynamic, feeling the pressure and the possible end of his run. Some fatal decisions like letting Fifita go, trying to clear out "the boys club". Famously saying that "players get coaches sacked".

Of course Sheens had his long tenure and his record wasn't good enough over all, but that for me was the turning point. In an attempt to make a huge change to get the ship back on course, we took a risk with a rookie coach and it's been downhill since.

At the least with Sheens, we had the coach capable of (and experienced with) building small dynasties, of legitimate finals-capable runs and teams playing to somewhere near their ability. We were always in and around the finals, always in with a shot. Apart from his first year 2003, Tigers never did worse than 11th. Do we remember when 11th was a really bad year?

@jirskyr said in [WT Sliding doors moments/ Turning points](/post/1334657) said:
I've come to believe that sacking Tim Sheens was the biggest turning point. That side being capable of finals football, some top-line emerging talent... we cut the cord on Sheens and everything unravels, the attack dries up, the club identity fades, the juniors leave. It coincides with a change in the style of rugby league, a rise of certain dominant clubs, and we "went back to the drawing board".

Sheens himself attempts some big changes in 2012 to change the club dynamic, feeling the pressure and the possible end of his run. Some fatal decisions like letting Fifita go, trying to clear out "the boys club". Famously saying that "players get coaches sacked".

Of course Sheens had his long tenure and his record wasn't good enough over all, but that for me was the turning point. In an attempt to make a huge change to get the ship back on course, we took a risk with a rookie coach and it's been downhill since.

At the least with Sheens, we had the coach capable of (and experienced with) building small dynasties, of legitimate finals-capable runs and teams playing to somewhere near their ability. We were always in and around the finals, always in with a shot. Apart from his first year 2003, Tigers never did worse than 11th. Do we remember when 11th was a really bad year?

And one thing about Sheens when he was coach - we were really good to watch for the most part. Nowadays we are the most boring Tigers team in attack I can remember. Even under JT we tried more things.

do we bring sheens back as a coaching director and appoint Ciraldo or John Morris

Even that won't work ..as the Wests Tigers board is not elected...also only small parts of Wests Ashfield board is elected ..most are indentured..so they are unlikely to boot themselves..

@geo said in [WT Sliding doors moments/ Turning points](/post/1334684) said:

Even that won't work ..as the Wests Tigers board is not elected...also only small parts of Wests Ashfield board is elected ..most are indentured..so they are unlikely to boot themselves..

You are correct, forgot that most are indentured.

A bit different but the on-field moment in that Campbelltown Brisbane game 2018? when we had won games against the top 4 teams and then an absolutely shocking decision from the ref gifted Brisbane the game.

I think if we win that game, Cleary stays, we more than likely go top 8 and we build on success rather than failure.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back