YOUR JOB?

I left school at 16 to get a full time job to help my mum pay the bills as unfortunately my father left us with literally nothing. I took any job I could and due to money at the time, wasn't lucky enough to stay in school or go to uni. I originally started as a landscape apprentice but literally couldn't get by or contribute enough at home with the $12 or so I was earning, so worked mostly as a labourer in a heap of trades for a couple of years. It wasn't a bad thing, I learnt a lot. My mum wanted me to go back to school but I knew we simply couldn't afford it at the time due to the debt my dad left us in. We spent time in shelters and it was pretty ugly for a while.

When I was 18 I moved to Airlie Beach in QLD to help my uncle out with a landscape contract, a week into arriving the contract fell through and I got stuck there. I got a job working a bar there after having a beer with the owner completely randomly after I was chatting about my situation with a guy I presumed was just a local. He asked if I could pour a beer, I said yeah and he told me to get behind the bar and pour him one and that's how I started (mind you I'd already had 6 or so, so I was a tad rusty). I then got a job as a porter for a cruise company and was also working as a nightfiller at Big W. I was working 20hrs a day at one point.

Eventually I moved back to Sydney at 19 and got a decent gig as a warehouse and nightfill manager. I then went on to manage another warehouse.

After a few years I decided to really aim for a career and finally do something for myself at 23\. I felt I was just wasting time. I always wanted a job that I can make a difference and help people, as well as a better chance for advancement.

I went for an interview as an employment consultant for a job provider to get some experience and got the job with no experience. From a month after I started, I've been in the top 3 for results as an individual in NSW. Getting to help people that genuinely need it makes going to work so much easier.

My company thought Ive been going so well that they offered to pay for me to complete my Cert IV in Employment Services which would give me the year 12 equivalent I required to undertake my dream job of working in the police force. Unfortunately the company I work for recently went to tender with the Government for a new contract and missed out. Therefore, I'll be unemployed as of June 30 along with thousands of others. I'm hopefully going to be able to complete my course but time will tell as the company appears to be heading for liquidation. I've been lucky enough to be head hunted, so hopefully I can stay in the industry until I join the police force.

I've been thrown a few curve balls in the last 24 years, but I just look at them as speed humps. My mum is now financially stable after all the crap she went through, and at the end of the day family is the most important thing in life, not wealth. I might be a few years behind where I'd like to be, but I know I'll get there one day.

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

@barra said:
Fishing rod designer and crafter. Not many of us around - that actually make their living out of it that is!

Sorry I missed the most of this thread (read through it BTW, very interesting), but I was… fishing.

Very cool. My better half would be so jealous of your job. He has a good collection of rods and loves fishing :wink:

@Tigermama said:
@barra said:
Fishing rod designer and crafter. Not many of us around - that actually make their living out of it that is!

Sorry I missed the most of this thread (read through it BTW, very interesting), but I was… fishing.

Very cool. My better half would be so jealous of your job. He has a good collection of rods and loves fishing :wink:

Thanks - I do work at it though, still here right now bouncing between design sketches and the forum :slight_smile:

@tigertye said:
I left school at 16 to get a full time job to help my mum pay the bills as unfortunately my father left us with literally nothing. I took any job I could and due to money at the time, wasn't lucky enough to stay in school or go to uni. I originally started as a landscape apprentice but literally couldn't get by or contribute enough at home with the $12 or so I was earning, so worked mostly as a labourer in a heap of trades for a couple of years. It wasn't a bad thing, I learnt a lot. My mum wanted me to go back to school but I knew we simply couldn't afford it at the time due to the debt my dad left us in. We spent time in shelters and it was pretty ugly for a while.

When I was 18 I moved to Airlie Beach in QLD to help my uncle out with a landscape contract, a week into arriving the contract fell through and I got stuck there. I got a job working a bar there after having a beer with the owner completely randomly after I was chatting about my situation with a guy I presumed was just a local. He asked if I could pour a beer, I said yeah and he told me to get behind the bar and pour him one and that's how I started (mind you I'd already had 6 or so, so I was a tad rusty). I then got a job as a porter for a cruise company and was also working as a nightfiller at Big W. I was working 20hrs a day at one point.

Eventually I moved back to Sydney at 19 and got a decent gig as a warehouse and nightfill manager. I then went on to manage another warehouse.

After a few years I decided to really aim for a career and finally do something for myself at 23\. I felt I was just wasting time. I always wanted a job that I can make a difference and help people, as well as a better chance for advancement.

I went for an interview as an employment consultant for a job provider to get some experience and got the job with no experience. From a month after I started, I've been in the top 3 for results as an individual in NSW. Getting to help people that genuinely need it makes going to work so much easier.

My company thought Ive been going so well that they offered to pay for me to complete my Cert IV in Employment Services which would give me the year 12 equivalent I required to undertake my dream job of working in the police force. Unfortunately the company I work for recently went to tender with the Government for a new contract and missed out. Therefore, I'll be unemployed as of June 30 along with thousands of others. I'm hopefully going to be able to complete my course but time will tell as the company appears to be heading for liquidation. I've been lucky enough to be head hunted, so hopefully I can stay in the industry until I join the police force.

I've been thrown a few curve balls in the last 24 years, but I just look at them as speed humps. My mum is now financially stable after all the crap she went through, and at the end of the day family is the most important thing in life, not wealth. I might be a few years behind where I'd like to be, but I know I'll get there one day.

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_[/quote
\
\
Tigertye you are a Champion! Your mum and family must be so very proud of you. :slight_smile:

@barra said:
@Tigermama said:
@barra said:

Thanks - I do work at it though, still here right now bouncing between design sketches and the forum :slight_smile:

I never would of guessed mate

So when we all going fishing trialling your rods ??

@tigertye said:

thats awesome. even im proud of you TT!!
reading your post i cant help but feel you will succeed. i wish you all the very best on your path.

I've been a Self Employed Sparky for about the last35 years and now only doing a day Ortwo per week, and am looking forward to be the Grey Nomad bit very soon.
I've mostly been in the home appliance repair area , as well as Safety Switch testing,
( it's weird how everyone thinks that they never fail) ,
while it can be a bit boring at times, it has been good as it is the sort of job that can be done even when you get a few aches and pains.( no crawling around in the roof spaces)

I'm just in the process of setting up a mobile RCD (safety Switch) Testing service in caravan parks around the regional areas in Qld andNSW . ( quite a lot of Country parks don't even know it has to be done, or that there are large fines for non compliance)
Can't wait to get away for a while on that.

Have a bit of a wait though , as I become the bionic man next week( knee replacement) and have a bit of time to spend on getting that working properly before we get away completely , A few weeks at Rainbow Beach should be a good rehab period.

Ive owned a Fruit Market for 15 years. Long hours, but not for too much longer.

@tigertye said:

That's an inspiring story. You are obviously a man of great heart and determination. I am confident you will achieve your goals. Three cheers to you tigertye.

Gary Bakerloo,are you involved with the Wests Tigers and Liechardt oval affair,and do you think the WTs will still be there for some time to come…it is a great part of our football history as was the great Lidcombe oval... :sign:

@happy tiger said:
@barra said:
@Tigermama said:
@barra said:

Well mate for me this place is for footy talk not fishing talk!

We must arrange a WT fishing outing… if those Awoonga barras get big again I'll be back regularly, maybe in the meantime and if so I'll give you a yell!

@Gary Bakerloo said:
Great diversity of roles.

I am the Senior Manager for Sporting grounds at Leichhardt Council.

Serious or BS …ing us !

@barra said:
@happy tiger said:
["]

@Tigermama said:
@barra said:

Well mate for me this place is for footy talk not fishing talk!

We must arrange a WT fishing outing… if those Awoonga barras get big again I'll be back regularly, maybe in the meantime and if so I'll give you a yell!

I'd be happy in the Mangrove Jack take off in Awoonga one day

I'll take a MJ over a Barra anyday ,Barra :sunglasses:

Full time

Father/Husband/Son/Brother/Friend/Cousin/Nephew/Remedial Engineering Project Manager - Hydraulics .

In that order of importance

@tigertye said:
I left school at 16 to get a full time job to help my mum pay the bills as unfortunately my father left us with literally nothing. I took any job I could and due to money at the time, wasn't lucky enough to stay in school or go to uni. I originally started as a …..

After reading that^^^ I I was sure the next thing you would say was that you were a pole dancer\sex worker

@Rambo2714 said:
Full time

Father/Husband/Son/Brother/Friend/Cousin/Nephew/Remedial Engineering Project Manager - Hydraulics .

In that order of importance

And the WT's don't figure in their somewhere Rambo ??

Re prioritize mate

Back