2011 Melbourne Cup

At this stage I'll be on Jukebox Jury but I haven't had a really good look at the form. With so many foreign horses the form gets harder to do every year…

1\. At First Sight
2\. Mourayan
3\. Niwot (flashing home late)
4\. Americain (no luck around the home turn)

@Properossi said:
1\. At First Sight
2\. Mourayan
3\. Niwot (flashing home late)
4\. Americain (no luck around the home turn)

Then again I can't pick my nose?

@happy tiger said:
@MacDougall said:
It's a pity that Maluckyday had such an unlucky season. A good year following that awesome run last year would have made it the winner imo. If it can recover for next year it'll win. It's an awesome horse.

Very true Mac Would be favourite in my opinion at best form

Agree also - I was on Maluckyday last year and, after his great second placing, I was really looking forward to seeing him run again this year.

Anyway, with him not there this year, it's back to the drawing board for me trying to find a winner. For what it's worth I like Jukebox Jury, Tullamore, Niwot and Mourayan. I always look for horses who are near abouts in the lead up races over the past month and who have won or placed at 3200 metres or close to that, as in the case of Jukebox Jury (3000 metes winner). The obvious omission there is Americain, simply because I reckon winning back to back cups is a rare and difficult feat (Makybe Diva an exception, but I don't think I'll be alive if that ever happens again).

1- Tullimore
2- Illo
3- Drunken Sailor

Hard to pick this year. Good luck everyone.

Still think Niwot is the go, though he's been very heavily backed which for some reason never seems to work out for the punters. :laughing:

Americain won't be in the frame imo. The winner will be Aussie, so that leaves it really between Niwot and Tullamore.

Today is the 1/11/11…. Dont go past the 1 as it has only finished 1 on Australian soil...

Yesterday I named my new Hooves Horse 'Americain' and its has only finished 1 after two starts...

Follow the smart money boys and girls, get on the 1 and have a fun day!!!

@MacDougall said:
How about the 11? Precedence?

Hi everyone

That's my pick - but I didn't realise the connection with the date!! Now I'm confident!!

Tigergran

Being a once a year punter, the horses I have chosen are:

1.americain
2.jukebox jury
3.dunaden
6.manighar
14.illo
23.niwot

These picks are in my quinella, trifecta and first four. I have also have 1,2,3 in a win & place and the other 3 horses getting a place finish.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

Finding it difficult to go past Americain, despite the top weight. It really did win in a canter at Moonee Valley a couple of weeks back, carrying the same that it will carry today. I think it is classes above most the horses, except for some of the internationals that are yet to have a run in Australia - ala Jukebox Jury, Foxhunt, Red Cadeaux).

An interesting stat - the amount of international winners using the Cup as a first up Australian run is ZERO from 58 starters - I think.

I will be doing some exotics based around:

Americain
Dunaden
Lucas Cranach
At First Sight
Moyenne Conniche
Niwot

@Centaur said:
An interesting stat - the amount of international winners using the Cup as a first up Australian run is ZERO from 58 starters - I think.

I think Vintage Crop and Kiwi are the only International Horses to win without a race in Australia…

Americain ran in the Geelong Cup; Delta Blues ran in the Caulfield Cup & Media Puzzle also used the Geelong Cup as a starter before running the Melbourne Cup...

@Tiger Watto said:
@Centaur said:

I think Vintage Crop and Kiwi are the only International Horses to win without a race in Australia…

Americain ran in the Geelong Cup; Delta Blues ran in the Caulfield Cup & Media Puzzle also used the Geelong Cup as a starter before running the Melbourne Cup...

I should have said, since Vintage Crop in 93 - those are the stats.

Happy's Hopefuls are
\
\
1 Americain
10 Mourayan
18 Moyenne Corniche
22 Tullamore
23 Niwot

Will be boxing these babies
\
\
No doubt at 5.45pm some of these horses will be still running since Happy has now put the kiss of death on them

For those of you not in banking, Mac Bank do a quant analysis each year that has proven pretty successful (if you box their top 6 for the trifecca). Basically, if you invested $1000 at the start of 2007, you would have $9,000 using the analysis. This year it is.

1\. Dunaden
2\. Niwot
3\. American
4\. Juxebox Jury
5\. Illo
6\. Glass Harmonium

@hammertime said:
For those of you not in banking, Mac Bank do a quant analysis each year that has proven pretty successful (if you box their top 6 for the trifecca). Basically, if you invested $1000 at the start of 2007, you would have $9,000 using the analysis. This year it is.

1\. Dunaden
2\. Niwot
3\. American
4\. Juxebox Jury
5\. Illo
6\. Glass Harmonium

Sounds like it is doing a lot better than their managed funds!

@happy tiger said:
Happy's Hopefuls are
\
\
1 Americain
10 Mourayan
18 Moyenne Corniche
22 Tullamore
23 Niwot

\
\
No doubt at 5.45pm some of these horses will be still running since Happy has now put the kiss of death on them

Yes, well you've already put the kiss of death on Mourayan because he's now out of the race! :laughing:
Now he's gone and I'm awake, I've added a couple of extras to my originals - Jukebox Jury, Tullamore and Niwot, so I'm also gonna put a little bit on At First Sight, Glass Harmonium and Precedence. I figure if I pick the whole field one of them is bound to come somewhere! :laughing: My flatmate has asked me to put some money on Americain for the win - what's the bet it wins and mine come nowhere LOL.

@Flippedy said:
@happy tiger said:
Happy's Hopefuls are
\
\
1 Americain
10 Mourayan
18 Moyenne Corniche
22 Tullamore
23 Niwot

\
\

Yes, well you've already put the kiss of death on Mourayan because he's now out of the race! :laughing:
Now he's gone and I'm awake, I've added a couple of extras to my originals - Jukebox Jury, Tullamore and Niwot, so I'm also gonna put a little bit on At First Sight, Glass Harmonium and Precedence. I figure if I pick the whole field one of them is bound to come somewhere! :laughing: My flatmate has asked me to put some money on Americain for the win - what's the bet it wins and mine come nowhere LOL.

Seriously Flip is Mourayan gone Can't find anything on it anywhere

Back