2017 has amazing similarities with 2005 team

Also the D Fitzhenry/ J Rankin similarities are UNCANNY!!!!!!!!!!!! And lightening doesn't strike the same place twice I was once told.

@maxxy86 said:
Also the D Fitzhenry/ J Rankin similarities are UNCANNY!!!!!!!!!!!! And lightening doesn't strike the same place twice I was once told.

With our 11 home grounds how can lightning strike twice :wink:

It certainly is the off season… next years team is nowhere near 2005 , in 2005 the pack could actually compete with all comers .2017 pack will be marshmellows 5 out of 6 weeks ,then you have the major deficiencies in the backline alone leaking points .
It will be a while yet before the Tigers have one like 2005 and certainly 2017 is not.

@Snake said:
It certainly is the off season… next years team is nowhere near 2005 , in 2005 the pack could actually compete with all comers .2017 pack will be marshmellows 5 out of 6 weeks ,then you have the major deficiencies in the backline alone leaking points .
It will be a while yet before the Tigers have one like 2005 and certainly 2017 is not.

well done in completely missing my point, might want to actually read a post before commenting on it.

@goldcoast tiger said:
@fergiefurr said:
Now by no means am I saying we are going to win the comp next year, however after reading the 'Top 4 or Bust' article in the Tele today it reminded me of our public Declaration of a Top 4 goal in the 2005 off season.

Have a look at it.

* Both teams finished the year before disappointingly losing the last round resulting in a 9th place finish. A win would have put them in the finals
* Both teams had a NSW Rep fullback
* Both only made 1 recruit (of note), an International centre from Penrith
* Both had young halves with loads of potential that had defensive issues
* Both lost their long term hooker (who were both captains) and had a young one with huge wraps taking their place
* Both had coaches in their third year at the helm
* No one tipped them to do anything

Who knows, could lightning strike twice?

It must be December, we are always on the optimistic tablets about now, it's only when we hit the big boys that throw our forwards around like rag dolls that reality sneaks itself back in.
1n 2005 we had a 5/8 who was probably the best attacking player in the game ,
A half that was one of the best,
Probably the best kicker in the game, and a Coach that any team would be happy to have.
Now we have at best , 2 inconsistent halves, no goal kicker, a very average pack,and only one winger( and he can be rocks or diamonds) and a Coach that probably would not get a job with any other first grade team .
Teddy is our one bright spot,
Well, we hope he will be here.

as above

@Snake said:

While 2005 pack wasn't big it was very mobile and fast which suited the running game which was also complimented by very talented 7, 6,9,1

Brooks; Moses and whoever the hooker is , is no where near 2005 standard.

Let 2005 go please that was over a decade ago…we have Jamal Idris :brick:

@tsjonathan said:
@Snake said:

While 2005 pack wasn't big it was very mobile and fast which suited the running game which was also complimented by very talented 7, 6,9,1

Geez TS, grab a couple of the optimistic tablets that GCT could also do with. Our spine this year will be every bit as good as the one back then with a little improvement and likely even better. Our former very gifted players lucked into a year in which the playing conditions allowed their undoubted talents to really shine on the back of an incredibly quick ruck which is long gone.

@formerguest said:
@tsjonathan said:
@Snake said:

Geez TS, grab a couple of the optimistic tablets that GCT could also do with. Our spine this year will be every bit as good as the one back then with a little improvement and likely even better. Our former very gifted players lucked into a year in which the playing conditions allowed their undoubted talents to really shine on the back of an incredibly quick ruck which is long gone.

I hope so but i get let down every year

@formerguest said:
@tsjonathan said:
@Snake said:

Do you really think that Brooks/ Moses are as good as Prince/Marshall were at that stage
Or that any of our multitude of hookers equals Farah.( leaving aside opinions on liking or not liking anyone) it'd need more than a little improvement for that to be a reality.
We'd come out on top with Tedesco, but that's about all
The only pills that TS and I are on is reality pills.lol

The DT league guru, the saint of sobriety and honesty has us finishing 15th (mind you he has the sharks finishing 1st).

I dont agree with him one bit, if i had to put money on it I would say we will finish in a similar place as this year between 7th to 10th.

My heart says we will do like we did in 2005, but i have thought that every preseason since, except in 2015 and 2016 - but 2016 was an exciting finishing and has me pumped again.

So lets twist again like we did in 2005!!!

@goldcoast tiger said:
@formerguest said:
@tsjonathan said:
@Snake said:

Do you really think that Brooks/ Moses are as good as Prince/Marshall were at that stage
Or that any of our multitude of hookers equals Farah.( leaving aside opinions on liking or not liking anyone) it'd need more than a little improvement for that to be a reality.

The key words being "at that stage", being heading into the coming season as per 05, so yes, yes and yes. Can't agree on the last sentence.

@formerguest said:
@goldcoast tiger said:
@formerguest said:
@tsjonathan said:

The key words being "at that stage", being heading into the coming season as per 05, so yes, yes and yes. Can't agree on the last sentence.

Hope you are right and I am dead wrong though

@tsjonathan said:
@formerguest said:
@goldcoast tiger said:
@formerguest said:

So do I, and feel that it is a realistic comparison. Teddy has no peer, with Moses already the best at squaring up the opposition and close in many other areas bar defence, which is still way better than that of Benji then, plus he hardly misses a minute of footy.

For the other two, well Liddle would probably have seen as much top grade if not for cap restrictions as Farah and Prince only really stepped up his game during a year that was his best. Brooks needs to improve, especially his defence and short kicking game, but he is still producing as a top grade halfback with some placing too much expectation on him

Go easy, Hodgo was our fullback and he was a great back! Teddy is great in his own way, but remember hodge could kick goals and that was also a big factor cause we were going up in increments of 6 instead of 4.

@formerguest said:
@tsjonathan said:
@formerguest said:
@goldcoast tiger said:

So do I, and feel that it is a realistic comparison. Teddy has no peer, with Moses already the best at squaring up the opposition and close in many other areas bar defence, which is still way better than that of Benji then, plus he hardly misses a minute of footy.

For the other two, well Liddle would probably have seen as much top grade if not for cap restrictions as Farah and Prince only really stepped up his game during a year that was his best. Brooks needs to improve, especially his defence and short kicking game, but he is still producing as a top grade halfback with some placing too much expectation on him

Don't get me wrong on this guys, I don't want to belittle any of our past heroes as they all produced for WT and some for many years. My thoughts are simply that the current crop are pretty good as well.

I hope you are right too FG, but I still think that there is a hell of a lot of improving to be done before most of those mentioned , will get to the standard of their counterparts in 2005.
Teddy is the only one that can be consistent, and Liddle is completely Still a question mark.

Remember it's only 12 mths that we were giving Cherrington all the same wraps
that Liddle has been having placed on him now.
As far as the two packs go I'd take the 2005 pack any day.
At least Gibbs put a bit of fear into the opposition( mainly because he was a bit physco )

Prince & Benji had an unrivaled chemistry between them. Moses & Brooks actually play better when only one of them is on the field. There are no signs that these guys grew up as best mates playing footy together, imo, but they are still only young so hopefully they will eventually gel together.

Latest posts

Members online

Back