2019 Coaching saga -Thread

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I expected our Board to demonstrate more vision towards the future by signing O'Brien or the Broncs assistant if Bennett didn't want to come. To me, Maguire is yesterday's man and the strong sense is the Board grabbed a name, any name even if it isn't a particularly good one in an overreaction to the potential loss of Cleary.

Maguire now not only has a huge task ahead of him to prove he isn't yesterday's man but also to recruit high calibre players to the club.

Have we actually got Maguire yet? Or are we all just assuming because Bennett has signed elsewhere we have Maguire? Has there been an official announcement yet? Serious question, I'm not trying to be a smart arse, I honestly may have missed it.

Nothing official as yet as far as I'm aware spud

yeah, i don't think either Cleary nor Madge have put pen to paper yet. So when they do this whole thing will be over?? will it?

Thanks guys, it’s obviously not over yet. I hope we’re not jumping the gun here with our celebrations or commiserations about signing Maguire. We could still end up with Joe Numpty as our coach next year!

Can’t wait for the some of the “would boo Santa” mob to claim Madge was their top pick all along after whinging about his arrival.

When did Ivan last win a premiership?

@ said:
@ said:
:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

There are some really depressing souls on here.

We have a new coach and he has my full support until he is not.

Which is exactly what I said as well before you start taking pot shots

I've backed Lamb and Taylor as well to the hilt and felt I should have been renamed Hanoi ….... bombed repeatedly from all angles

My point which everyone seems to be totally overlooking is our leadership team who everyone seems to think are the second and third comings of the Messiah respectively managed to get the worst ranked coach of all that were available

And yet they are still on everyone's Xmas card list

I think the word I am looking for hypocritical .......though as usual some enjoy playing the quoter and not the quote itself

And then you return serve and then they the play the victim card ............

Its a bit like those blokes in the bar who act like heroes and will take on the world and then when you call them out and they join the "touch me an I sue " crowd :bawling

Go lay down son

@ said:
I see no one countering Happy's point about Nathan Cleary…just having a go at him...

It is extremely valid ...it derailed Ivan ..set us back on what was built...early on this season it became obvious with their various interviews on Fox...for management to say it wasn't an issue shows they dropped the ball and not without blame...

How do you counter drivel?

@ said:
@ said:
OMG …did I just agree with happy ...

How do I make this my signature :laughing:

Lucky I was sitting down for starters I guess

copy and past the quote into the signature box when you edit your profile

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

There are some really depressing souls on here.

We have a new coach and he has my full support until he is not.

Which is exactly what I said as well before you start taking pot shots

I've backed Lamb and Taylor as well to the hilt and felt I should have been renamed Hanoi ….... bombed repeatedly from all angles

My point which everyone seems to be totally overlooking is our leadership team who everyone seems to think are the second and third comings of the Messiah respectively managed to get the worst ranked coach of all that were available

And yet they are still on everyone's Xmas card list

I think the word I am looking for hypocritical .......though as usual some enjoy playing the quoter and not the quote itself

And then you return serve and then they the play the victim card ............

Its a bit like those blokes in the bar who act like heroes and will take on the world and then when you call them out and they join the "touch me an I sue " crowd :bawling

Go lay down son

Funny how you only seem to stick the boot in when twenty others are as well

@ said:
I see no one countering Happy's point about Nathan Cleary…just having a go at him...

It is extremely valid ...it derailed Ivan ..set us back on what was built...early on this season it became obvious with their various interviews on Fox...for management to say it wasn't an issue shows they dropped the ball and not without blame...

How do we know for sure they were not doing something behind the scenes, it is pretty much certain they lied to the public about Ivan asking for a release to protect our image.
So why could they not also be lying about it not being an issue with all the Nathan and Ivan talk, they could have been trying to fix this all along, just not playing it out in the public like previous CEO's and chair's did.

@ said:
@ said:

I don't think that counts as a counter argument more just having a go at Happy's point without any substance…

Ivan's nepotism was obvious very early at the start of the season.in interviews on Fox around Origin on 9..

Then when this whole mess really started Ivan meeting with his mate believing he was there to discuss Nathan..

If our management was pro active questions should have been asked early rather than reactive..

I believe they have done a good reactive job to sort through the mess and probably got the best outcome they can ...but to be on the front foot as a Club would be nice for a.change..

@ said:
Memo for the Wayne Bennet cheer squad.

Where did the Broncos finish last year 6th.

Now lets get fair-dinkum to my memory were gifted or were extremely lucky in at least three games.

Round 2 against the Cowboys when the ball hit the goal post padding.
Round 3 against us with one of the worst refereeing decisions all year.
Round 9 against the bulldogs an extremely dubious decision in the 78th minutes that enabled them to win.

His real Legacy should be defined by
1-A draw that year after year affords them more 7 day turnarounds then any other club.
2-Facilities amongst the absolute best in the NRL.
3-Access and money to ensure best support staff.
4-Club membership about the highest in the NRL, access to more TPA's because they are the club that represents the whole of the Brisbane metropolitan area.
5-Access to more juniors that any other club.
6-And amongst the best roster with at least 6 Origin or International players to work with each and every year he has been there.

This is what Bennet had to work with, and how many premierships has he won with all this 6, in what 26 years, should have won at least 12.

So don't carry on about what he would have done for the Tigers, it was never on, all too hard for, "Old Wayne", if we had signed him for 3 years he wouldn't have seen out the contract.

Truth is Wayne has been on the wane for sometime, go and ask Paul White.

Agree Tigers17\. Can’t help thinking we have dodged a bullet. Maguire is in the prime of his working life. He will be great for us

Oh and as for the suggestion that we should swap Brooks for Johnson (Josh Massoud theory) …........ :roll

so

hasler to manly 2019
mcguire to tigers 2019
cleary to panthrs 2019
seiboldt to broncos 2020
bennet to rabbitohs 2020

wow it's a circus

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

I don't think that counts as a counter argument more just having a go at Happy's point without any substance…

Ivan's nepotism was obvious very early at the start of the season.in interviews on Fox around Origin on 9..

Then when this whole mess really started Ivan meeting with his mate believing he was there to discuss Nathan..

If our management was pro active questions should have been asked early rather than reactive..

I believe they have done a good reactive job to sort through the mess and probably got the best outcome they can ...but to be on the front foot as a Club would be nice for a.change..

Fair assessment

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Happy to be proven wrong but i'm sure when Go was interviewed on League Life she said when Ivan was interviewed for the job it was NEVER part of the package for him to bring Nathan. She also stated that Ivan had complete control of the salary cap and that if he wanted to sign Nathan up that was entirely his call. Like i said mate, i'm, happy to be proven wrong.

No you are 100% right, I saw the interview on FOX, the main part of that interview was that Ivan had complete control to bring Nathan if he liked.
So Nathan not coming is more Cleary's fault that any one else.

Yep as i thought
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/ivan-cleary-coaching-future-wests-tigers-chairman-slams-phil-gould-for-approaching-coach/17atf2wjo0q1i1u1ouv81zzy5d
\
\
“We didn’t appoint Ivan and one day his son, or ‘if I want to go and work with my son then you need to know I’ll leave’. That was never on the table at the time and maybe it should’ve been if that was his intention, but it wasn’t apart of the conversation.

“We didn’t say to him ‘we’re going to appoint you, Ivan, and hopefully you’ll bring your son to us, or ‘oh, I’d like to bring my son, okay’. That was never part of the deal.

“This is a professional relationship. Yes, Ivan has expressed to us he’d love to coach with his son and naturally we’ve said to him you’re in control of the list at our club, we’ve got our salary cap under control now which we didn’t have years ago.

“If Nathan were to join our club he’d have to work with our current players because we value Luke Brooks and Josh Reynolds, so he would have to be in that mix.

“Ivan knows all of that and that’s Ivan’s wish to.

“We certainly haven’t said to him ‘no you possibly couldn’t do that’, so we’ve said ‘if that is part of your wish, then you can make it happen because you’re the coach’.

They say it wasn't a question and shouldn't have been

WRONG :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

The most bloody obvious question

Don't worry what the hell would I know , probably done more interviews than Pascoe and Go combined :deadhorse:

Ah ok. Ill just give it a miss. I'm really not sure where your coming from. The funds were provided for Ivan and he chose not to use them for his son. Thats all i understand about the whole thing to be honest.

Madge won a premiership with the English equivalent of the broncos, and then took a roster built by John Lang to a premiership before going backwards.

He reminds me of Ricky Stuart in terms of performance.

Hopefully he is invested in the future of the club. I do not see him as a coach that will attract players and would have preferred Demetriou.

I will ask a question. Will his first couple of years produce a better outcome than 9th, and if not how long do we blame it on Cleary while thinking we have a top line coach

@ said:
@ said:

How do we know for sure they were not doing something behind the scenes, it is pretty much certain they lied to the public about Ivan asking for a release to protect our image.
So why could they not also be lying about it not being an issue with all the Nathan and Ivan talk, they could have been trying to fix this all along, just not playing it out in the public like previous CEO's and chair's did.

The fact they only started seeking a replacement in October hints at reactive I believe..

If it was a perceived issue earlier and they believed it was an issue the process for a replacement should have started much much earlier…

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
No you are 100% right, I saw the interview on FOX, the main part of that interview was that Ivan had complete control to bring Nathan if he liked.
So Nathan not coming is more Cleary's fault that any one else.

Yep as i thought
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/ivan-cleary-coaching-future-wests-tigers-chairman-slams-phil-gould-for-approaching-coach/17atf2wjo0q1i1u1ouv81zzy5d
\
\
“We didn’t appoint Ivan and one day his son, or ‘if I want to go and work with my son then you need to know I’ll leave’. That was never on the table at the time and maybe it should’ve been if that was his intention, but it wasn’t apart of the conversation.

“We didn’t say to him ‘we’re going to appoint you, Ivan, and hopefully you’ll bring your son to us, or ‘oh, I’d like to bring my son, okay’. That was never part of the deal.

“This is a professional relationship. Yes, Ivan has expressed to us he’d love to coach with his son and naturally we’ve said to him you’re in control of the list at our club, we’ve got our salary cap under control now which we didn’t have years ago.

“If Nathan were to join our club he’d have to work with our current players because we value Luke Brooks and Josh Reynolds, so he would have to be in that mix.

“Ivan knows all of that and that’s Ivan’s wish to.

“We certainly haven’t said to him ‘no you possibly couldn’t do that’, so we’ve said ‘if that is part of your wish, then you can make it happen because you’re the coach’.

They say it wasn't a question and shouldn't have been

WRONG :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

The most bloody obvious question

Don't worry what the hell would I know , probably done more interviews than Pascoe and Go combined :deadhorse:

Ah ok. Ill just give it a miss. I'm really not sure where your coming from. The funds were provided for Ivan and he chose not to use them for his son. Thats all i understand about the whole thing to be honest.

Go said they didn't ask the obvious question because they were in a professional relationship

The obvious follow up question was " If Nathan won't come to the WT's , what next , will you continue coaching the WT's "

They didn't ask that question

When your interviewing and you have ANY lingering doubts you do follow up questions to 100 % reassure yourself this person won't leave you high and dry and as an interviewee you should the exact same , ask questions , find out whether this is the choice you want for your future

Either way you try and stop dead ending yourself in a job you don't want and can't get out of short term or get stuck with someone who is the wrong fit or wants out when you need them the most

Anyway doesn't matter , as long as Pascoe and Madge keep doing their BS stand up routine every few months the world will be fine and Pascoe can take over as Arthur Fonzarelli

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

The fact they only started seeking a replacement in October hints at reactive I believe..

If it was a perceived issue earlier and they believed it was an issue the process for a replacement should have started much much earlier…

I’m sure you’d agree that the initial steps in resolving conflict do not include termination. Trying to resolve the issue with both parties is the first proactive step. Now I’m only going on what I read but it seems that Cleary junior had a contract ready for him here so I’d say our management had been proactive in ensuring harmony at WestsTigers. It was only when Cleary junior decided he wanted to stay with his mates did the problem escalate. From this point on, our management had to make the best of an unfortunate situation- not of their own making.

Our management have maintained their professionalism and integrity. They have secured (it seems) an excellent coach who will add to our rebuild.

Pascoe and Go acted properly. It was Cleary Senior who acted with hypocrisy, self interest and with blatant disregard to his players, Tigers supporters and his mate Pascoe.

@ said:
Madge won a premiership with the English equivalent of the broncos, and then took a roster built by John Lang to a premiership before going backwards.

He reminds me of Ricky Stuart in terms of performance.

Hopefully he is invested in the future of the club. I do not see him as a coach that will attract players and would have preferred Demetriou.

I will ask a question. Will his first couple of years produce a better outcome than 9th, and if not how long do we blame it on Cleary while thinking we have a top line coach

Chicken or the egg hey ??

And that would be the next point , wouldn't you be wanting coach with the same mindset as Cleary to continue the re-build

We just seem to reach the same point in time again and again :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy

Latest posts

Staff online

Back