2022 RLWC

Is it time for the minor nations to be called cultural teams? Lets be honest they all have aussie, kiwi or pommie accents. Just a generation or 2 ago one of the family immigrated.

Is it time for the minor nations to be called cultural teams? Lets be honest they all have aussie, kiwi or pommie accents. Just a generation or 2 ago one of the family immigrated.
Depends which minor nations you're talking about, apart from a couple of albino inclusions this doesn't really apply to PNG. Nor to France, or Serbia, who are mainly home grown teams. I've got no issue with someone born in Australia representing Samoa or Tonga if they qualify. It is what it is. Didn't the Socceroos pick someone who'd never been to Australia? The Japanese rugby union team is full of Islanders, Aussies and Kiwis, the Scottish union team is full of South Africans, half the Wallabies are Fijian.

Looks like no Ken Maumalo in NZ squad. (DT published expected squad)

Lol Radley made the England side because his father was born there,needless to say Gildart didn't

I love Meninga’s unbiased take on the Australian team.
some players kept (like DCE) over Cleary because “he’s the incumbent” but passes on Cook (who’s the incumbent) as well as Api who is the Dally M hooker of the year… because “ we felt the Queensland hookers were best placed to be in the squad."
lol

Last edited:
Hastings missed out too.
That's very surprising. Not that Hastings is that good but generally speaking anyone who plays in the NRL has usually been an automatic selection for England.

Samoa has a clear edge over Tonga this time round.

Tonga doesn't have even an NRL standard 1,6,7 or 9?

Surprised that there aren't any Penrith guys in the Tonga squad, seems like most of the Penrith boys are from Samoa and NZ..

It will be Aus vs NZ Final if the pooling allows it. Samoa and England to be in the Semis

I love Meninga’s take on things.
some players kept (like DCE) over Cleary because “he’s the incumbent” but passes on Cook (who’s the incumbent) as well as Api who is the Dally M hooker of the year… because “ we felt the Queensland hookers were best placed to be in the squad."
lol

He's Qlder....
That's how they roll

Back