2023 Pre Season

Very happy for the young fella bro
he's been toiling away quitely post
injury & has finally got some pay.

On another note. The jerseys on the
player profiles annoy me. How hard
is it to line up the NRL & Tigers badge
In the white chevron, lord mercy lol
Some are diff to others...Nofos and Tumeth the logos are tottally in the white V...the others arent

1675333699367.png1675333699367.png

Very happy for the young fella bro
he's been toiling away quitely post
injury & has finally got some pay.

On another note. The jerseys on the
player profiles annoy me. How hard
is it to line up the NRL & Tigers badge
In the white chevron, lord mercy lol
I think you are being a bit Peckie K. 🥃 :ROFLMAO:

Brent Read
The Australian

I toured the Wests Tigers on Monday and took a swig of the Kool-aid. Watched them train for an hour or so and decided I am buying what the Wests Tigers are selling.

The merged entity has been more basket case than benchmark for the past decade but it feels like things are changing. The wheel is turning. It only took an hour or so to turn this columnist into a believer.

It started with a walk through the Tigers’ freshly-minted Centre of Excellence. What was once a dilapidated grandstand and archaic training venue has been turned into a cutting-edge facility the equal of any of their NRL rivals.

It was hard not to be impressed given the amenities at their disposal. Granted, centres of excellence are a dime a dozen these days, Seen one, seen them all.

The Tigers have done their best to separate themselves from the pack by installing a barber’s chair in the building, photos of a hirsute Kevin Hardwick and shaven-headed Tim Brasher adorning the walls.

Apparently a barber comes in one day a week to make sure the boys are trimmed and looking sharp. Cute gimmick but truth be told, this columnist couldn’t give two hoots about a barber’s chair.

Half fades and mullets don’t win premierships. Talent and culture does and the Tigers are beginning to sharpen up in both departments. There’s the distinct waft air of optimism drifting through the joint.

Some of that has to do with the arrival of Api Koroisau, Isaiah Papali’i, David Klemmer and John Bateman – the Englishman is waiting on his visa but has been in regular contact with the Tigers as he trains on his own.

More than that, it’s the overhaul of the coaching staff that has placed the club back in the hands of Tim Sheens, working alongside club legends Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah.

Sheens, the mastermind of the 2005 premiership, spent much of Monday’s training session on the halfway line watching Marshall and Farah put the side through their paces.

Marshall jumped in at times and filled in as the playmaker. Benji, once a media darling, is still prolific on social media but has declined interview requests and thrown himself into his new career.

Tigers insiders like what they see. If there were any doubts, they are now gone. Farah did what Robbie does. He was economical with his words but when he felt like something needed to be said, he made sure his message hit the mark.

Chris Heighington, another ’05 star, did his bit. Not to forget David Furner, who may be one of the club’s canniest signings given Marshall and Farah are still leaning their craft,

The players spoke afterwards about a change in mentality. The new regime have given them freedom The Tigers will play with structure but have carte blanche to dispose of that structure when their instincts take over.

It will be exciting. If the Tigers go down, they will go down swinging. If halfback Luke Brooks sees something, Marshall has given him the confidence to take it.

Adam Doueihi, playing for his future at the Tigers, has savoured a pre-season where wrestling sessions have become an afterthought.

It’s not a criticism of the previous regime, just a nod to the new brigade and their plans to turn the Tigers around.

It’s a significant task. This is a club that has languished for a decade. If you need a reminder of the hard times, you only have to wander through that Centre of Excellence.

Sure, there are reminders of the Wests Tigers’ glory years littered through the venue. The walls are a shrine to sepia-toned days of success. The trophy cabinet may be bare in recent years but the journalists who toured the facility this week were greeted by plenty of silverware.

Perhaps it was the Tigers’ way of reminding the fourth estate that the merger hasn’t been a total failure. There have been some good days.

In the gym, the Wi-Fi password is “2005”, the year of their one and only premiership. Everywhere you look, there are motivational sayings and images of their former stars.

There’s also a timeline of the Tigers’ existence, which lays bare the absence of success in recent years. The timeline abruptly ends at 2014.

Since then, there has been nothing to crow about. Take the tip – that may be about to change. I’m not sure who drops out of the top eight from last year, but don’t be surprised if the Tigers force their way in.

I've said it for over a month now bro.
Him or Joffa or both of them for sure
I’m pretty sure Sheens mentioned a while ago that he’ll announce a captain and vice captain, so I don’t think it’ll be co-captains, but yeah, I think it might be out of them two.

I’m pretty sure Sheens mentioned a while ago that he’ll announce a captain and vice captain, so I don’t think it’ll be co-captains, but yeah, I think it might be out of them two.
Nah, I’m not sure about that .
Whilst Douhei was always one of my preferred choices not sure he has sufficient cred, as yet, to lead that team.
And I’m not sure Jofa is going to play long enough minutes so imo he’s questionable too.
Problem is I can’t really give you an alternative pairing, at present, so you may be correct.
Another interesting decision to be decided.

Nah, I’m not sure about that .
Whilst Douhei was always one of my preferred choices not sure he has sufficient cred, as yet, to lead that team.
And I’m not sure Jofa is going to play long enough minutes so imo he’s questionable too.
Problem is I can’t really give you an alternative pairing, at present, so you may be correct.
Another interesting decision to be decided.
We will see mate.

I think it’ll be announced before the first trial so we should know who it is in the next few days I’d say.

Actually, the more I think about it I’m saying Klemmer or API as C and AD as VC.
But I’ve been wrong many times before 🤣

I don't think we can go with a player who hasn't been here for a while. I honestly think Brooksy is a good choice.

I know everyone says he doesn't need the pressure but it's professional footy and he is the best candidate.

Joe O is great but he won't play enough minutes.

I don't think we can go with a player who hasn't been here for a while. I honestly think Brooksy is a good choice.

I know everyone says he doesn't need the pressure but it's professional footy and he is the best candidate.

I think you can go with a newby if he is respected and can bring on the younger guys, hence Klem/ Api.
My only thought re Brooks, is maybe Sheensy doesn’t want to burden him with any extra responsibility, just wants him to focus on his own game.
I guess we’ll see soon.

I think you can go with a newby if he is respected and can bring on the younger guys

I disagree. We've done this in the past and it hasn't worked. I think the captaincy should be earned via effort for our club.

Mbye/Tamou are the two guys we've picked as captain and they were bad choices.

I think the only problem with making Brooksy captain is that he mightn't be here next season. If he can't perform with the captaincy he shouldn't be here next season.

Brooksy hasn't got the tough voice needed...Hastings showed what was needed in that role...I wouldn't be surprised if Sheen's makes API cap and AD vc...he may want an experienced premiership winner to guide the youth...that's my thoughts even though we all have our favs...

Brooksy hasn't got the tough voice needed...Hastings showed what was needed in that role...I wouldn't be surprised if Sheen's makes API cap and AD vc...he may want an experienced premiership winner to guide the youth...that's my thoughts even though we all have our favs...

I've said my bit on giving a new guy the role. I'm not a fan at all.

Personally I think it's out of AD and Brooks. Brooks to me was clearly the better player last season and he has been here longer so I'd give it to him. They both may be cut next season though.

Joe O deserves the spot and he will be here longer but I just don't see him playing enough minutes.

I've said my bit on giving a new guy the role. I'm not a fan at all.

Personally I think it's out of AD and Brooks. Brooks to me was clearly the better player last season and he has been here longer so I'd give it to him. They both may be cut next season though.

Joe O deserves the spot and he will be here longer but I just don't see him playing enough minutes.
Not sure but Mbye was one cap when he was here....Brooks has been given plenty of time to prove he is cap material..everybody says that it's a professional sport,so why not give a professional and three time time premiership winner the riens to guide the team around..
Not getting down on Brooks but he has a lot to prove this year and I don't doubt Sheen's knows it..

The captain must have the respect of his players. I can't see Api, Klem.Offa taking orders from AD, Brooks or others from last years wooden spoon club. Plus the fact that they do not have contracts, shows that the club is not sure of their future. These 3 are seasoned performers ,who seldom have a bad game, they will be the leaders, and 1st choice for captain in my book.

Members online

Back