2024 Season Opener, Las Vegas Discussion *Spoilers*

The 350m figure to me seems stupid. I think a better judge is maybe MLS? At best what we can ever hope for is getting 10% of MLS in maybe 10 years. That's probably the potential. Maybe see what the viewership of MLS was with their first game of EPL there and see what % of that the NRL got..
What is MLS? Is that soccer?
The problem with converting Americans to a new sport is that they are extremely naive and bullish about their own sports.
I look at NFL, NBA and MLB competitions as a pure cure for insomnia.
Rugby League is far superior as a spectacle. Convincing stupid Americans will be a tough call.

Heard someone mention that they make next year's Vegas trip a triple header and have the World Club Challenge as one of the games
Not a bad idea imo
Too many games. The crowd seem to die off in the last 20 mins of the chooks game. I found three games dragged on a bit at magic round.

Be interesting how the Watch NRL App subscriptions & betting market data breakdown looks.

No doubt they wanted more than 61k but in saying that the Rugby world cup final only drew 450k.

Fox Sports has a low subscription base
Part of game 1 moved between channels.
61k is a record coverage for a NRL game over there

If they get 10k of those subscribers to watchnrl at $229 a year thats a good start.

If anyone seriously thought we would get a heap of people watching day 1 they’re dreaming. I doubt they will make it - it will need more than 5yrs to make a dent & cost will blow out.

He is play is a 5yr buildup and isn’t viewers or selling tickets it’s the betting market share.

I doubt it will be successful but credit for having a crack, if it sees positive cashflow the game will be better off for it.

Much like the NRL buying up Hotels etc.

At least he is doing something to progress the sustainable of the game.

As a PR exercise it was a total flop. How much it cost the NRL is yet to be revealed, but I can guarantee they burnt a stack of pineapples. 61k viewers out of a 332m US market is absolutely abysmal, and as country and a game we were the ones that looked like monkeys.

The blokes biffing during the Manly/Souths game and then the Spencer and Ezra stoush was a disgrace.

All the good reviews that are posted in the tabloids are paid for comments. Thankfully, the games were reasonably entertaining, but from a PR and eyeballs POV it was a disaster.

Strange is a year older than Latu.

I reckon we will see him sooner rather than later in NRL for us though.
Probably a double edged sword but at some point I’d like to see Fainu 7, Galvin 6.
If this does happen its probably because we are failing to win games.

Leinu has plead guilty. Not surprising. I think the Walters vision was pretty damning. Considering he never denied it and brushed it off after the game tells me what kind of person he is. And for Robinson to say Ezra might have been wrong after the game shows what a POS he is too.

Leinu has plead guilty. Not surprising. I think the Walters vision was pretty damning. Considering he never denied it and brushed it off after the game tells me what kind of person he is. And for Robinson to say Ezra might have been wrong after the game shows what a POS he is too.
Will be interesting what the punishment will be. The teenage fan that abused Latrell was banned from attending games until considerable steps have been taken to address the racism, considering Leinu is older and should know better, you'd imagine the punishment should be even worse. It's the Roosters though so he will probably miss a game.

Will be interesting what the punishment will be. The teenage fan that abused Latrell was banned from attending games until considerable steps have been taken to address the racism, considering Leinu is older and should know better, you'd imagine the punishment should be even worse. It's the Roosters though so he will probably miss a game.
He won’t just miss one game. Get real.

He will get 6 to 8 weeks to send a strong message out there, probably lucky he plays for the Chooks as he will get a few weeks less than any other club. Also he may have entered a plead guilty deal.

Funny thing he probably has been racially taunted most of his life and now he faces a big suspension for doing the same thing

Robinson is a typical white bastard as Sam Kerr would say.

I'd say 6 weeks minimum. I don't think anybody will buy that it wasn't racially motivated.

I'd say 6 weeks minimum. I don't think anybody will buy that it wasn't racially motivated.
My opinion could be unpopular, but he should get 6 weeks for the slur and 4 weeks for bringing the game into disrepute considering the occasion.

Didn't need that in Vegas.

Reactions: Jay
The 350m figure to me seems stupid. I think a better judge is maybe MLS? At best what we can ever hope for is getting 10% of MLS in maybe 10 years. That's probably the potential. Maybe see what the viewership of MLS was with their first game of EPL there and see what % of that the NRL got..

I think the difference is round ball is loved by South America and the league then gets Becks/Messi. NRL really only has stars that are known in 2.5 states and one territory of Australia. No one is gunna pull American eyeballs.

They need a reverse Hayne and we get a semi famous NFL player convert to League…without the rape obviously.

I think the difference is round ball is loved by South America and the league then gets Becks/Messi. NRL really only has stars that are known in 2.5 states and one territory of Australia. No one is gunna pull American eyeballs.

They need a reverse Hayne and we get a semi famous NFL player convert to League…without the rape obviously.
Tom Brady on the wing? probably more hussle than Noffa.

Robinson is a typical white bastard as Sam Kerr would say.
Just supporting his player, I’m sure if everyone reacted to everything that’s said on a footy field, racist or not, they’d need 3 judiciaries.
Not saying what he said was right but just in this day and age how everything seems to be a major issue.
What happens on the field stays on the field imo.

What happened to Hayne's Dally M's? The NRL were talking about stripping them pending a conviction. Wonder if that all went under the carpet when the media circus left town as is usual with NRL spin doctors.

Just supporting his player, I’m sure if everyone reacted to everything that’s said on a footy field, racist or not, they’d need 3 judiciaries.
Not saying what he said was right but just in this day and age how everything seems to be a major issue.
What happens on the field stays on the field imo.
Hal you are certainly a member that can distinguish between sarcasm and serious chat. That's why I value your posts. Great energy and zeal as usual.

Back