'23 trials

I did not watch a minute of Super League including the grand final.To be honest i did not even know who played in the Super League grand final until someone told me
Only SL game I can even remember was the Tri Series Final game between NSW and Qld ...bloody damn good game

Wouldn't Api and Papi want 2 games before the comp starts plus Klemmer and Bateman
No - most veteran players hate trials!

Jimmy Jack broke his arm in a trial against the Bulldogs at Parra Stadium in 89 - that he only played as it was billed as a GF re-match.

He had dispensation from Balmain for trials to avoid the chance of injury - as he always played at 100% pace & effort!

He never played for Australia again - and also never played another trial game!

I read teams can play 28 players in the first trial and 26 in the second.Wouldnt teams like ours with quite a few new players just play 18 or 19 in the first grade trial the rest in a koe trial.Then mix it up in the second trial so everyone you want to look at gets some fg minutes.I think that would be better than players coming on and off every 5 minutes and us watching trying to figure out whose on and whose off.Im sure Sheens already has a good idea whose going to be in the first game against the Titans

Normally they play team A for 20-55mins (forward rotations and backs) then put other players on the last 30mins for both trials.

If you’re still working out what the starting team looks like during the trials then it usually indicates pre season hasn’t been great for the usual 1st graders.

I think the trials this year are pretty important considering the competition for spots.The only positions that would be certain would be 5/8 half hooked and 1 second rower.What do you think Cobar

Not much competition for the starting side really.

Sheens would have his day 1 fullback already in mind

Wings and Centers are the usual as we have no new faces

Halves would be AD/Brooks

Forward pack is mostly sorted pending Bateman being here

Its really the bench and depth which always gets sorted via training more than trails early in the season.

The trials are at risk of being boycotted by the players due to the ongoing CBA negotiations.
That would be cruel to the young guys trying to impress,. Many of these young guys got the rough end of the stick, during covid outbreak, and cancelled games. The players association have to be careful not to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Does anyone know the sticking point on these negotiations?
You rarely see talks drag out like this.
Does someone have any mediation powers in the NRL?

Does anyone know the sticking point on these negotiations?
You rarely see talks drag out like this.
Does someone have any mediation powers in the NRL?

I would imagine one side would not be prepared to give an inch more,just a guess but i would think it is close to the mark

Knowing our luck we will have our first trial cancelled then they agree on the CBA the next day.

Back