4 weeks for Sezers hip drop

It was the same grading (3) as Plath and Galvin. I haven't heard the explanation for Tago's being a 2 and the others a 3 but just quickly looking at it I'd say most likely reason is Tago did not leave his feet prior to the 'drop'.

Sorry, you're right. Not sure why I thought Plath and Galvin were grade 2.

YTS? Doesn't matter really. Our halves are not the problem. Its our attitude, our self belief, or hunger, on top of forgetting how to win without jagging it..

It's about time a club like ours who is constantly getting screwed over in all facets of the game by this administration front up to the nrl with statistics and evidence of players who have only been fined or received one week for hip drop tackles and our bloke gets 4 weeks and if there's no satisfactory explanation then we advise the nrl we are playing him, someone needs to stand up to these corupt dictatorship running this game, won't happen and unfortunately we will cop the same crap every week

It's about time a club like ours who is constantly getting screwed over in all facets of the game by this administration front up to the nrl with statistics and evidence of players who have only been fined or received one week for hip drop tackles and our bloke gets 4 weeks and if there's no satisfactory explanation then we advise the nrl we are playing him, someone needs to stand up to these corupt dictatorship running this game, won't happen and unfortunately we will cop the same crap every week
Not if Bennett was coach...

Thats literally what the judiciary is for. You go in with the evidence of why this hip drop should be down graded and more in line with examples of other lower grade hip drops and they will regrade it to a lesser suspension. Note it will still be 2 weeks not 1 due to his loading and that it does seem consistent with other grade 3s so would most likely lose at the judiciary.

I wonder if that moment was following the ‘soft whistle’ debacle.

It was the same grading (3) as Plath and Galvin. I haven't heard the explanation for Tago's being a 2 and the others a 3 but just quickly looking at it I'd say most likely reason is Tago did not leave his feet prior to the 'drop'.
Just watched it again and Sezers feet never leave the ground, he tackles Curran from behind so he isn't twisting his body into a position behind him and it doesn't look like Sezers was using the weight of his body with significant downward force. It just looks bad because Curran fell back awkwardly.

Surely this is why the bunker didn't recommend putting him in the bin for 10. So either the grading is wrong, or it's another show of incompetence from the bunker.

Personally, I'm wondering if it may have been reviewed as grade 3 was because Ennis made such a song and dance about it during the game.
“It got ugly here didn’t it. Pulling him back over his ankles, and loses his legs. That’s really ugly,” Ennis said. "Trapping him with his legs with all the weight coming down on the ankle of Josh Curran."
Look at the replay. Neither of these statements are true, but this is the basis of his charge.

Just watched it again and Sezers feet never leave the ground, he tackles Curran from behind so he isn't twisting his body into a position behind him and it doesn't look like Sezers was using the weight of his body with significant downward force. It just looks bad because Curran fell back awkwardly.

Surely this is why the bunker didn't recommend putting him in the bin for 10. So either the grading is wrong, or it's another show of incompetence from the bunker.

Personally, I'm wondering if it may have been reviewed as grade 3 was because Ennis made such a song and dance about it during the game.
“It got ugly here didn’t it. Pulling him back over his ankles, and loses his legs. That’s really ugly,” Ennis said. "Trapping him with his legs with all the weight coming down on the ankle of Josh Curran."
Look at the replay. Neither of these statements are true, but this is the basis of his charge.
?? His feet clearly leave the ground. They start on the ground behind Curran. He then swings them forward (off the ground) either side of Curran whilst dropping his body weight on to Currans leg (whilst pulling Curran backwards).

I tend to agree, although I only watched it live on TV and haven’t gone back to the replay yet. From recollection it was more like the Galvin one rather than the “hip drop” tackle action involving the twist and drop described in this video from the NRL. Happy to be corrected though.

Very bad screenshot from video of Wests Tigers vs Broncos last round. Unfortunately this was the only angle and footage I have been able to find

With 15:45 to go in the first half and only one or two plays before Api's disallowed try, looks like a hip drop on Alex Twal by Payne Haas. Twal doesn't make a scene of it and gets up and plays the ball, fortunately there is no injury.
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 18-51-46 Wests Tigers vs. Broncos - Round 8 2024.png

?? His feet clearly leave the ground. They start on the ground behind Curran. He then swings them forward (off the ground) either side of Curran whilst dropping his body weight on to Currans leg (whilst pulling Curran backwards).
Watching again in super slow mo I can see his feet do leave the ground for a moment, but his body doesn't land with any force on Currans leg. When he pulls Curran back, Sezers is already on the ground.
There's no way that this is the worst example of a hip drop. There's minimal rotation because he's already tackling from behind and his body weight lands on the ground first, and not directly onto Currans legs.

Should've been a sin bin at the time. Ref was feeling the pressure and made the wrong decision.

Ban seems lengthy.
Read the fine print in Judiciary listings , Sezer has form this year for multiple offences ( not hip drop) so penalty higher than normal.
I think Klemmer the same but his punishment is monetary.
The only thing Seyfsrth did wrong was not knocking that Mahoney into the Showground. Grub M2 after Ennis.

Watching again in super slow mo I can see his feet do leave the ground for a moment, but his body doesn't land with any force on Currans leg. When he pulls Curran back, Sezers is already on the ground.
There's no way that this is the worst example of a hip drop. There's minimal rotation because he's already tackling from behind and his body weight lands on the ground first, and not directly onto Currans legs.
I wouldn't call the force on Currans leg minimal but I believe it was reduced by Sezer having more horizontal momentum (from Cuurans back to front) then downward momentum (from dropping after lifting feet).
I disagree that his weight lands ground first. It is on Currans lower leg first in my opinion.
I don't think it is the worst hip drop we've seen this year but I do think it is more consistent with the grade 3 examples than the grade 2 example.

I tend to agree, although I only watched it live on TV and haven’t gone back to the replay yet. From recollection it was more like the Galvin one rather than the “hip drop” tackle action involving the twist and drop described in this video from the NRL. Happy to be corrected though.
It has all 3 elements from that slide.
He Grabbed Curran.
He swings his body position to the side of Curran.
He drops his body weight onto Curran's legs.

Latest posts

Back