4WD and Off-road Thread

Tucker

Hi all,

I’m a big camper and touring enthusiast.
I’ve travelled to many popular spots along the Eastern seaboard - Cape a few times, Bribie, Morton and Fraser, plenty of State Forrest’s and National Parks, Coffs Harbour, Brindabellas, Victorian High Country and Tassie a few times. Also done a few epic trips along the top end (Litchfield and Mary River tracks). It’s a passion I’ve chased for the past 25 years but have not done much of the West. I’m planning a big trip for 2024 (between 18 and 20 weeks).
Do we have anyone on here that can recommend some must go to spots and more importantly, which ones to avoid?
Also love to hear some of your experiences and stories.
Cheers.

Just bumping in case someone with info didn’t see this the first time around.
Cheers.

Coffs has a Lime Mexican restaurant.
Pretty good feed tbh.

Byron is probably a better spot for restaurants though.

Yeah NSW North Coast is nice.
I’m particularly chasing info on great free camping spots and hidden gems in WA.
Cheers

I’m currently doing a big lap of aus staying in Perth for 6 months 3 months at the moment

I’ve been traveling the bottom end of aus for the last 14 months

And it’s been amazing
That’s awesome man, 14 months down Vic, Tassie, SA and southern WA?
How are you travelling?

That’s awesome man, 14 months down Vic, Tassie, SA and southern WA?
How are you travelling?
Yeah man Tassie has been the highlight so far just towing an old caravan in an 80 series just me and my misses been the best thing we have ever done

Yeah man Tassie has been the highlight so far just towing an old caravan in an 80 series just me and my misses been the best thing we have ever done
Good stuff, big country out there. Congrats on your journey man, I’m envious lol.
Working as you go or just good savings?
I have a mate just finished a 16 month lap in November. He doesn’t know what to do with himself now lol. Reckons he might go again.

Good stuff, big country out there. Congrats on your journey man, I’m envious lol.
Working as you go or just good savings?
I have a mate just finished a 16 month lap in November. He doesn’t know what to do with himself now lol. Reckons he might go again.
Yeah mate been working along the way and also woofing aswell. Honestly working and woofing has been some of the best parts you get to meet so many great people doing it and yeah mate I can see how he’s come to that conclusion haha where thinking if backpacking Europe after haha honestly when you take this long to just travel and enjoy your self you realise what life is all about. It’s about having as much fun as possible before you die

Yeah life is not about working yourself into the ground to have a nice car/house etc…
A couple of years ago I was doing minimum 60 hr weeks, missing out on lots of things socially and with the kids…and for what?
I restricted my work week to 4 days, sold up where I was and moved into a more affordable area and straight away the pressure was off. It wasn’t long until I was enjoying life again.
I’ll do my own lap one day, but for now, a family 4-5 month trip of WA will be the focus.
Good stuff @finnzo, hope it keeps going well for you.

Yeah life is not about working yourself into the ground to have a nice car/house etc…
A couple of years ago I was doing minimum 60 hr weeks, missing out on lots of things socially and with the kids…and for what?
I restricted my work week to 4 days, sold up where I was and moved into a more affordable area and straight away the pressure was off. It wasn’t long until I was enjoying life again.
I’ll do my own lap one day, but for now, a family 4-5 month trip of WA will be the focus.
Good stuff @finnzo, hope it keeps going well for you.
We did the same in 2012, and have never looked back. Sometimes it's hardish being away from family, but that's what phones and Facebook are for. We've travelled, spent quality time with family here and interstate, built our dream home, got the perfect jobs ... the list goes on and on ❤️

Hi all,

I’m a big camper and touring enthusiast.
I’ve travelled to many popular spots along the Eastern seaboard - Cape a few times, Bribie, Morton and Fraser, plenty of State Forrest’s and National Parks, Coffs Harbour, Brindabellas, Victorian High Country and Tassie a few times. Also done a few epic trips along the top end (Litchfield and Mary River tracks). It’s a passion I’ve chased for the past 25 years but have not done much of the West. I’m planning a big trip for 2024 (between 18 and 20 weeks).
Do we have anyone on here that can recommend some must go to spots and more importantly, which ones to avoid?
Also love to hear some of your experiences and stories.
Cheers.
Have you thought about northern WA.
North of Broome, there’s some pristine beauty and great camping, fishing. If you go as far as the Dampier Peninsula, hook up with Bardi elder Brian Lee. Brian does a tag along north of cape Leveque.
He will take you into country you can only get to by invitation.

Have you thought about northern WA.
North of Broome, there’s some pristine beauty and great camping, fishing. If you go as far as the Dampier Peninsula, hook up with Bardi elder Brian Lee. Brian does a tag along north of cape Leveque.
He will take you into country you can only get to by invitation.
Absolutely. The north will be a priority.
This is exactly the sort of info I am after.
I will look into it, any idea what his company is called?
Thanks.

Absolutely. The north will be a priority.
This is exactly the sort of info I am after.
I will look into it, any idea what his company is called?
Thanks.
He is very well known in the area. A legend who was city educated and returned to help his people, possibly the smallest mob (1000) in the country. His grandfather built the Broome picture theatre. Look up Brian Lee Tag Along , tell him I sent you... the guy who let him drive his Silverado on the beach. The guy who he gave his spear to. 😝
What he doesn’t know about the area is probably not worth knowing.

He is very well known in the area. A legend who was city educated and returned to help his people, possibly the smallest mob (1000) in the country. His grandfather built the Broome picture theatre. Look up Brian Lee Tag Along , tell him I sent you... the guy who let him drive his Silverado on the beach. The guy who he gave his spear to. 😝
What he doesn’t know about the area is probably not worth knowing.
Tuck, we camped at “middle lagoon” you’ll need to get a ticket to camp at the Broome tourist agency. It’s been a few years since I went that way, but I imagine nothing much has changed, so you’ll need to let some air out of your tyres. The sign says no caravans beyond this point, but like the blues brothers, my wife and I were on a mission from God and found it well worth towing our 4 tonne beast through the fine red sand once we arrived. You need to see this place! It’s truly amazing.
I think the cape Leveque resort where you can meet up with Brian is maybe 80klm north of Middle Lagoon. You’ll need to drop your air pressure to at least 18 again because you’ll be mostly driving on sand.

Tuck, we camped at “middle lagoon” you’ll need to get a ticket to camp at the Broome tourist agency. It’s been a few years since I went that way, but I imagine nothing much has changed, so you’ll need to let some air out of your tyres. The sign says no caravans beyond this point, but like the blues brothers, my wife and I were on a mission from God and found it well worth towing our 4 tonne beast through the fine red sand once we arrived. You need to see this place! It’s truly amazing.
I think the cape Leveque resort where you can meet up with Brian is maybe 80klm north of Middle Lagoon. You’ll need to drop your air pressure to at least 18 again because you’ll be mostly driving on sand.
Looked it up. Spectacular.
One thing though, seems a bit expensive. $54/night will make it a bit of a luxury for an unpowered site.

Can you remember what the alcohol restrictions were like up north?
When I was last in the Territory, takeaway booze was banned in a lot of places.

Can you remember what the alcohol restrictions were like up north?
When I was last in the Territory, takeaway booze was banned in a lot of places.
Yes quite a few places had limits on alcohol with streets controlled by police and private sector security with auto long arms and batons. Outlets which sold alcohol were opening for only a few hours in the afternoons. We had no such issues in Broome or further up the Kimberley.
$54 ? That’s crazy...it’s a bush camp! We had to find wood to light a fire to cook a meal. The only facility was a toilet block, which was US. We paid $10 but that was 9 years ago.
When you cross the border into WA you will be searched to see what vegetables you’re carrying. They will only allow peeled onions into WA.
All supermarkets we found had the top couple of layers of the onions peeled off.
The owner at Hells Gate wasn’t happy with the restrictions, at a time when he was trying to sell a business with turnover of $3m, suddenly patrons had to eat a meal and only drink on the spot. His turnover went to $1m the following year and he was stuck there.
Happy trails.

Staff online

Back