A Call to action - Rozelle Village

Balmain leagues club is technically not a part owner of WT. the football club (backed by ryde-eastwood) owns 50% but consequently the black hole of the leagues club site will have a affect on balmain fc both financially and football club operations.

The video contains people who are not clearly distinguishing their roles between balmain tigers and wests tigers.
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

@Montague Street said:
@wtfl1981 said:
Sheens calling Balmain leagues 'our club'… I thought WT was operated separately to all the leagues club and football clubs

Interesting!

[www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de_uwl4__4&sns=em](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de_uwl4__4&sns=em)
\
\

Yeah well people can watch the clip and make up their own minds. That's not what he said.
\
\

People should definitely watch the clip. I mean seriously, if you have a problem with what Sheens or anyone else says in that clip, you really should give it up.

@Yossarian said:
@Montague Street said:
@wtfl1981 said:
Sheens calling Balmain leagues 'our club'… I thought WT was operated separately to all the leagues club and football clubs

Interesting!

[www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de_uwl4__4&sns=em](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de_uwl4__4&sns=em)
\
\

Yeah well people can watch the clip and make up their own minds. That's not what he said.
\
\

People should definitely watch the clip. I mean seriously, if you have a problem with what Sheens or anyone else says in that clip, you really should give it up.

Since when does WT have a leagues club?

Thats what i am highlighting…
\
\

What you're highlighting is that you'll use anything to have a dig at Balmain or Tim Sheens. The Balmain Leagues development can only benefit the WT and has little or no negative impact on Wests Magpies. Sheens merely suggests it would good to have somewhere for the supporters to go after a game at Leichhardt. To complain about this is petty in the extreme.

@Yossarian said:
What you're highlighting is that you'll use anything to have a dig at Balmain or Tim Sheens. The Balmain Leagues development can only benefit the WT and has little or no negative impact on Wests Magpies. Sheens merely suggests it would good to have somewhere for the supporters to go after a game at Leichhardt. To complain about this is petty in the extreme.

I didn't mention anything about wests magpies. The unfortunate situation at rozelle is a problem for the balmain football club not WT.

Ashfield (a key contributor to WT) Is just 10 min down the road and could be used for WT post game functions.
\
\
\
\

@wtfl1981 said:
@Yossarian said:

I didn't mention anything about wests magpies. The unfortunate situation at rozelle is a problem for the balmain football club not WT.

Ashfield (a key contributor to WT) Is just 10 min down the road and could be used for WT post game functions.
\
\
\
\

We need to lose the pettiness here guys. Each of the WT people involved are involved because it is of vital importance to the future of WT. If this was Wests Ashfield or Wests Campbelltown in the same situation, they would be doing the same thing, as they should. I think if we can just drop the nit-picking in this (please don't take that the wrong way), and galvanise the support of Balmain and Wests supporters behind this development, then it can get through and all rugby league supporters can enjoy the new Tigers Leagues club at Rozelle, and the joint venture as a whole will be better for it, with homes from both sides at Campbelltown, Ashfield and Rozelle.

Fair call?

@Benjirific said:
@wtfl1981 said:
@Yossarian said:

\
\
\
\

We need to lose the pettiness here guys. Each of the WT people involved are involved because it is of vital importance to the future of WT. If this was Wests Ashfield or Wests Campbelltown in the same situation, they would be doing the same thing, as they should. I think if we can just drop the nit-picking in this (please don't take that the wrong way), and galvanise the support of Balmain and Wests supporters behind this development, then it can get through and all rugby league supporters can enjoy the new Tigers Leagues club at Rozelle, and the joint venture as a whole will be better for it, with homes from both sides at Campbelltown, Ashfield and Rozelle.

Fair call?

Good post given some of the borderline trolling going on here. Please discuss the issue rationally and sensibly, I don't think that's too much too ask.

Why don't we just buy the orange grove or the sackville? Much better drinking hole after the game than a pokie filled auditorium
\
\

Letter from balmain fc to junior leagues clubs re rozelle site:
\
\
For what seems the longest time, Balmain Tigers have attempted to have the Rozelle Village / Balmain Leagues Development approved. The application is now reaching the critical stage where we are seeking the support of the entire football community to assist the re-development application be approved as the NSW Department of Planning will soon be making a decision regarding the Victoria Road site.

Right up until the end of 2011, Balmain Tigers have financially supported the Balmain District Junior Rugby League and Junior Rep Program and with the forced closing of the club in 2010, it was not possible to continue with the funding we have always enjoyed from the Balmain Leagues Club.

All of us have had some wonderful memories to share from the good times in the Balmain Leagues Club and many feel like they have lost an old friend. Many junior sports, not just Balmain Rugby League, have been tremendously affected by the closure of the club.

Now is our chance to help the Club be re-opened and once again enjoy somewhere to go for good times and meet old friends and of course, the opportunity for the Balmain Leagues Club to once again financially support the football community (the Balmain Tigers and the Balmain District Junior Rugby League) and all of its many sub-clubs.

How can you help….?

Attached is a letter signed by Paul Sironen the General Manager of the Balmain Tigers Rugby League Football Club urging everyone to support the submission and also attached is a Support Letter which we would request you to complete filling in your name, address and signature and return to Paul via mail, email or fax.

Attention: Paul Sironen
Balmain Tigers
PO Box 169
North Strathfield NSW 2137

Email: <psironen@weststigers.com.au>Fax: Attention Paul Sironen - 9715 6574

All support letters should be received in this office by Friday 15th June.

We have many Junior League Games happening this weekend and it would be deeply appreciated if Clubs would arrange for their over 18 year club members to sign letters of support. We can arrange to have them collected from your Clubs if you wish.

We all know how difficult fundraising is for our clubs especially knowing that the Balmain Leagues Club have been unable to financially support in 2012\. However, the situation can be completely reversed when the Balmain Leagues Club is returned and opened at its Rozelle heartland.

We hope that we can count on your support.

Kind regards
\
\
\
Jennie Webster
Operations Manager
Balmain District Junior Rugby League

P 02 8741 3313
F 02 9715 6574
E <jwebster@weststigers.com.au>W weststigers.com.au
\
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_</jwebster@weststigers.com.au></psironen@weststigers.com.au>

The support letter:

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Application No – MP11_0015
Name: Rozelle Village / Balmain Leagues Development
Location: Balmain Leagues Club Precinct at NO.’s 138, 154-156, 168-172 Victoria Road, 697-699 Darling Street and 1-9, 13-19 Waterloo Street, Rozelle

I write to advise my strong support for this proposal.

At the centre point of this proposal is the return of the Balmain Tigers to their rightful home. They have been an institution in this community for as long as I can remember. The contributions they have made over the years to not only junior Rugby League but also other sporting clubs has been immense. We look forward to their continued support for many, many years to come.

This is the kind of responsible development that the state government should be promoting, particularly in the Rozelle/Balmain area. The majority of this area is under conservation of heritage order and ability to develop is almost impossible. This proposal will add 304 new dwellings in a responsible and environmentally friendly manner. It is helping Leichardt Council achieve its housing targets and also the state with its Metropolitan plan. If these same 304 dwellings had to be built elsewhere in the area the traffic and environmental impacts that it would cause would be disastrous.

This development is creating 1,700 new, local jobs. This is something to celebrate. In addition to that it is creating 5,000 wider jobs.

Council have said that the new development will cause unacceptable traffic impacts my understanding of the proposal is that the developer is actually addressing the traffic impacts that have been caused by the council itself, namely the unapproved Rozelle and Orange Grove markets. The developer is suggesting that the Council remove eight (8) on street car spaces on Darling Street to improve the flow of traffic off Victoria Road, turning right into Darling Street. This is common sense and should have been adopted by the Council years ago.

I strongly urge the state government to approve this development.

Sincerely,
\
\
Insert Tigers fan name here
\
\

This development isn't even for the supporters, the club has actually gotten smaller on this proposal. After having an 11 storey, then a 27 storey development knocked back. They're back with a 32 storey proposal and the club has shrunk 20% from 3,516sqm to 2,781sqm (of a total 54,979sqm). On a 7000sqm+ site, I'm sure the original club was much larger than this. And it's a tiny proportion of the new proposal.

Unfortunately for all of us, the management of the Balmain Leagues Club Pty Ltd have made some very bad decisions. Firstly they sold the land to a private developer, then as the developers greed took over and the developement was delayed, the club has been forced to borrow money from them ($9m last year) and have become their puppet.

So now they're proposing a monstrosity, soley to line the pockets of the private developer (the Club has no financial interest in the development). And Balmain Leagues Club is being held to ransome, and so are us supporters.
I'm a west tigers fan, 2nd generation of the area, and want nothing more than the leagues club back! Both Leichhardt Oval and the site are a few blocks from my home, it was perfect before. But I don't want it back at the price of my community.

We need to reject this proposal in favour of one that is fairer to Balmain Leagues Club, and the community.

davedave, please forgive my negative attitude, but I am always somewhat wary of a brand new poster that seems to have only joined to comment on a very contentious issue.

Are you saying that Paul Sironen does not really want us to sign this letter and that he has been forced to write this and he really does not want this development to go ahead ?

Are you saying that the development will have a negative impact on the community ? If so, what is the impact ?

Personally I see so many do gooders wanting to stop development because they don't like it.

Please explain how us supporters are being held to ransom … I don't understand how if the land was sold to a developer, the club did not gain any money from this ?

Hi genoshan, yeah, long time supporter, first time poster (I joined the forum just after you :wink:

Paul Sironen is on the board of Balmain Leagues Club, and thus, has the interest of the leagues club (pty ltd) in his messages. And with the outstanding loan, it is my view, that the club would be strongly supporting this development. Benny actually has a financial interest, as he is partnered with Ian Wright and Alex Yosamoto (to form Rozelle Village).

The club gained money from the sale, but I'd say that would have long since dried up. Drummoyne and Flemington are now returning positive, but I don't think it's covering all their commitments (one of which is to WT).

I'm not a "do gooder", a nimby or a greeny. I just live in the area and have a motivation to look through the BS that is being spouted. I think the site really needs a development, it breaks my heart to see it empty, along with some of the terrraces they've bought. But it needs a good development which will revitalise the area, not pillage it.

And besides the 32 storey bulk, the detriment is blocking traffic (800+ car spaces) in surrounding streets and Victoria road (new set of lights). Poaching shopping trade from surrounding area with a "1 stop shopping mall" (Balmain's Darling street). Overshadowing from Callan Park to Evans St. Everyone within a few blocks (and the public school across the road) loosing their backyard privacy. Setting a precedent for other tower buildings. And overall, just killing the village vibe that the peninsular has.

Rozelle is densely populated, but we still enjoy a private yard, with city/work conveniences.

And besides the 32 storey bulk, the detriment is blocking traffic (800+ car spaces) in surrounding streets and Victoria road (new set of lights). The primary entrance/exit is on Victoria Road with lights adjusted similar to Broadway's carpark entrance. Staying on Broadway (which is relatively close) you don't see people filling up the sleep of Glebe any more than what you saw beforehand.

Poaching shopping trade from surrounding area with a "1 stop shopping mall" (Balmain's Darling street). This argument is being used by critics yet it is flawed.
The development is not a super shopping mall like Westfields. It will not be filled with level after level of retail outlets. It is relatively small and there is already far more retail space on the Rozelle strip of Darling Street.
If you include Balmain then this development will only increase total retail space by a small fraction. Rozelle's unique highstreet character has improved in leaps and bounds over the past decade. It continues to do so with new shops, bars and restaurants opening up.
People will still walk down Darling Street to get their coffee from boutique shops or stroll through the market. This development is far too small to suck up trade. It is also on the other side of a major arterial road. Additionally, Rozelle has had three retail marketplaces open in recent times: IGA, Seven 11 and About Life. These compete directly with local shops and Woolworths. However no one has complained about these shops, in fact they have been widely supported.
Also, look at Broadway and Glebe Point Road. The sky certainly hasn't fallen there and Broadway is MANY times bigger than this

Overshadowing from Callan Park to Evans St. wrong
1 - Evans street is north of the site. As we are in the southern hemisphere it is impossible for a shadow to be cast north. Also, Evans street (and most of the area to the East of the site) is built on an east-facing slope, existing buildings already cast a "shadow", but this only occurs for a brief period in the afternoon when the sun is approaching the horizon. Even with this development, overshadowing will have little effect on any site East of the site. Maybe like 5 minutes of extra shadow in the depths of winter.
2 - Shadowing over areas to the West are more valid concerns. However to say that it will extend to callan park is ridiculous. Yes, maybe at 5am for a brief 2 minute period after sunrise, but so does Centerpoint Tower and the whole CBD for a few minutes at sunrise. Sites around waterloo street do have the right to be concerned about overshadowing in the morning, but this building isn't tall/wide enough to cast a huge shadow
3 - I note the local anti-development propaganda has a render of the building casting a shadow over Victoria Road and Rozelle… again, as these areas are to the north of the site, this is physically impossible unless the earth suddenly shifts its rotational axis. Of course this FACT would not help their cause...
Everyone within a few blocks (and the public school across the road) loosing their backyard privacy.
Since when do schools ask for privacy? Plus that school has a HEAP of tree coverage.
As for privacy... well I don't know about you but live anywhere in Balmain/Rozelle and you have pretty liimted privacy anyway. I look out my window at home and can see into people's yards, plus I can be viewed by many others. Nothing new! it's been like this for ever

Setting a precedent for other tower buildings.
The govt will only approve such large scale developments along important corridors. Plus, what's wrong with increased density? The mentality of everyone needing backyard and pool is flawed. All it leads to is urban sprawl which in turn puts more pressure on education, transport and health services, etc. as every man and his V6 ute complain about having to travel 2 hours into the city.

And overall, just killing the village vibe that the peninsular has.
Oh please. Did Balmain Cove or Balmain Shore's do this? no! Actually they brought even more affluent people to the area and helped increase demand for housing as people WANTED to live here.
Go to Crown Street/Bourke Street in Surry Hills and look at how highrises/density can easily fit into areas with terraces and backyards, adding to the area and generally making it better. That "village" vibe certainly hasn't died there.

FTR, i live three blocks away from the site and am in support

@davedave said:
Hi genoshan, yeah, long time supporter, first time poster (I joined the forum just after you :wink:

Paul Sironen is on the board of Balmain Leagues Club, and thus, has the interest of the leagues club (pty ltd) in his messages. And with the outstanding loan, it is my view, that the club would be strongly supporting this development. Benny actually has a financial interest, as he is partnered with Ian Wright and Alex Yosamoto (to form Rozelle Village).

The club gained money from the sale, but I'd say that would have long since dried up. Drummoyne and Flemington are now returning positive, but I don't think it's covering all their commitments (one of which is to WT).

I'm not a "do gooder", a nimby or a greeny. I just live in the area and have a motivation to look through the BS that is being spouted. I think the site really needs a development, it breaks my heart to see it empty, along with some of the terrraces they've bought. But it needs a good development which will revitalise the area, not pillage it.

And besides the 32 storey bulk, the detriment is blocking traffic (800+ car spaces) in surrounding streets and Victoria road (new set of lights). Poaching shopping trade from surrounding area with a "1 stop shopping mall" (Balmain's Darling street). Overshadowing from Callan Park to Evans St. Everyone within a few blocks (and the public school across the road) loosing their backyard privacy. Setting a precedent for other tower buildings. And overall, just killing the village vibe that the peninsular has.

Rozelle is densely populated, but we still enjoy a private yard, with city/work conveniences.

A couple of points, firstly, Paul Sironen has nothing to do with the Leagues Club anymore. He is not a member of the board of the Leagues Club, or the Football Club. He is an employee of the Balmain Tigers Football club and nothing else.

Also, Benny Elias is no longer a partner of Rozelle Village. I'm not 100% sure whether he lost all financial interest, but he certainly isn't a board member of it - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/league-star-retreats-from-tigers-development/story-fn9656lz-1226126812882.

I'm a 4th generation resident of the area, and a 2-3 storey development would be useless to the area, and would mean that the developers and the leagues club lose money. It needs to be remembered that this development needs to change the area, it needs to revitalise the area, and will be the centre-piece for Rozelle for generations to come. The area west of Victoria Road is dead, and is need of such a development. It also needs to be remembered that this development is placed on the busiest road in the country. A major arterial route in the country's biggest city. Too many people have misrepresented this as a massive skyscraper in the middle of suburbia, it is far from that.

I also don't appreciate people judging what the truth is and isn't in regard to this development. You may believe that Rozelle Village is 'spouting BS', but if I and others choose to believe that, it is our prerogative. The local member says that support for this development only comes from pretend members of the community, but he definitely doesn't speak for me or any of my family.

@Kul said:
And besides the 32 storey bulk, the detriment is blocking traffic (800+ car spaces) in surrounding streets and Victoria road (new set of lights). The primary entrance/exit is on Victoria Road with lights adjusted similar to Broadway's carpark entrance. Staying on Broadway (which is relatively close) you don't see people filling up the sleep of Glebe any more than what you saw beforehand.

Poaching shopping trade from surrounding area with a "1 stop shopping mall" (Balmain's Darling street). This argument is being used by critics yet it is flawed.
The development is not a super shopping mall like Westfields. It will not be filled with level after level of retail outlets. It is relatively small and there is already far more retail space on the Rozelle strip of Darling Street.
If you include Balmain then this development will only increase total retail space by a small fraction. Rozelle's unique highstreet character has improved in leaps and bounds over the past decade. It continues to do so with new shops, bars and restaurants opening up.
People will still walk down Darling Street to get their coffee from boutique shops or stroll through the market. This development is far too small to suck up trade. It is also on the other side of a major arterial road. Additionally, Rozelle has had three retail marketplaces open in recent times: IGA, Seven 11 and About Life. These compete directly with local shops and Woolworths. However no one has complained about these shops, in fact they have been widely supported.
Also, look at Broadway and Glebe Point Road. The sky certainly hasn't fallen there and Broadway is MANY times bigger than this

Overshadowing from Callan Park to Evans St. wrong
1 - Evans street is north of the site. As we are in the southern hemisphere it is impossible for a shadow to be cast north. Also, Evans street (and most of the area to the East of the site) is built on an east-facing slope, existing buildings already cast a "shadow", but this only occurs for a brief period in the afternoon when the sun is approaching the horizon. Even with this development, overshadowing will have little effect on any site East of the site. Maybe like 5 minutes of extra shadow in the depths of winter.
2 - Shadowing over areas to the West are more valid concerns. However to say that it will extend to callan park is ridiculous. Yes, maybe at 5am for a brief 2 minute period after sunrise, but so does Centerpoint Tower and the whole CBD for a few minutes at sunrise. Sites around waterloo street do have the right to be concerned about overshadowing in the morning, but this building isn't tall/wide enough to cast a huge shadow
3 - I note the local anti-development propaganda has a render of the building casting a shadow over Victoria Road and Rozelle… again, as these areas are to the north of the site, this is physically impossible unless the earth suddenly shifts its rotational axis. Of course this FACT would not help their cause...
Everyone within a few blocks (and the public school across the road) loosing their backyard privacy.
Since when do schools ask for privacy? Plus that school has a HEAP of tree coverage.
As for privacy... well I don't know about you but live anywhere in Balmain/Rozelle and you have pretty liimted privacy anyway. I look out my window at home and can see into people's yards, plus I can be viewed by many others. Nothing new! it's been like this for ever

Setting a precedent for other tower buildings.
The govt will only approve such large scale developments along important corridors. Plus, what's wrong with increased density? The mentality of everyone needing backyard and pool is flawed. All it leads to is urban sprawl which in turn puts more pressure on education, transport and health services, etc. as every man and his V6 ute complain about having to travel 2 hours into the city.

And overall, just killing the village vibe that the peninsular has.
Oh please. Did Balmain Cove or Balmain Shore's do this? no! Actually they brought even more affluent people to the area and helped increase demand for housing as people WANTED to live here.
Go to Crown Street/Bourke Street in Surry Hills and look at how highrises/density can easily fit into areas with terraces and backyards, adding to the area and generally making it better. That "village" vibe certainly hasn't died there.

FTR, i live three blocks away from the site and am in support

Thank you Kul, finally some fact and sense from someone who lives in the area, rather than the 'spouting BS' that the local anti-development NIMBYs have claimed.

Back