A wasted season

cnx_tigers

Great atmosphere out there today :slight_smile:

Honestly, the comp this season is the most open since 2005\. There's two pretty good teams at the top and a host of even teams below them. Sounds just like 2005.

Our run though is way too late this time. We won't be there when it counts.

And it's a real shame as I honestly think we are a top 4 team.

On the one hand, I love that Sheens has a bunch of new youngsters coming through.

On the other hand, he's butchered our season…absoloutely butchered it by refusing to move John Morris earlier + refusing to play a genuine FB + insisting on two utlities on the bench. Week after week it was beyond obvious we needed some changes...and he waits until it's too late.

A genuine FB in...Johnny to the bench as a ultility (his PERFECT role)...only one ultilty on the bench at last (only due to Dene's injury)...and what do you know? We look pretty good.

Benji was absolutely sacfrificed at half back all season without ANY option on the other side of the field...finally, finally there's a guy there who can also go through a gap and throw a long pass...and we score 80 + points in two games.

Finally, finally we play a FB who can attack holes...and he scores two superb tries from distance.

Argh. Just so frustrating. A season wasted.

2010 will be good...but it's a long wait.

Side note one: We don't need to sign any more halves. **Robert Lui is the real deal.** He can pass either side, he can read the play. He's going to be a good one.

Side note two: Great to see blokes like Siro and Bruce McGuire out there today.

AGree with those comments…....but on Lui,to me he doesnt like tackling too much,was pretty soft out there today when he needed to muscle up.

If he is gonna play firsts he needs to get some agro into his tackling.

@simonthetiger said:
AGree with those comments…....but on Lui,to me he doesnt like tackling too much,was pretty soft out there today when he needed to muscle up.

If he is gonna play firsts he needs to get some agro into his tackling.

Definitely needs to work on D + fitness.

However, did you see the way he reads a gap?

The way he directs the play to the correct side of the field after breaks?

The way he can throw a cut out ball and hit his man?

Aggro + fitness will come. The other things are gifts and he's got them :sunglasses:

we will be a better team next year, with ayford moving to the forwards and the out side back signings, moltzen improving at 7 and if we actually do buy a natural half it will be even better.

but again we still have players who dont contribute alot, like payten ryan & galea, i dont know about payne he has really improved over the last 6 weeks but i dont kno if i want him there next year.

@anderson silva said:
we will be a better team next year, with ayford moving to the forwards and the out side back signings, moltzen improving at 7 and if we actually do buy a natural half it will be even better.

but again we still have players who dont contribute alot, like payten ryan & galea, i dont know about payne he has really improved over the last 6 weeks but i dont kno if i want him there next year.

Ryan = gone. The new guys will cover him + Tame Topou + there's a huge winger in the TC team who'll be ready soon.

Payten = a lot of talk out there about this being Todd's last season. His body can't take it anymore. I think he knows it's time.

I agree to an extent. The likes of Moltzen, Marshall, Tuiaki and Ayshford have either matured or taken their games to another level while Gibbs has played better this season and Skandalis just keeps going.

However we have also had bad injuries and not quite been good enough too many times this year.

Allan

I don't think we can blame injuries.

Yes, we've had them.

But most teams do get them at some point. (Look at the Broncs now)

We played for way, way too long with players in the wrong positions. The Storm game…the first Rabbits game...the match in NZ against a poor NZ team we didn't even turn up for...the Dogs game was butchered.

We had our chance to do something this season.

agreed, the coach butchered the start of the season for us with some of the selection choices, hopefully the current positioning of players is not only stuck with, but the guys can keep playing as well as they currently are.

@cnx_tigers said:
Allan

I don't think we can blame injuries.

Yes, we've had them.

But most teams do get them at some point. (Look at the Broncs now)

We played for way, way too long with players in the wrong positions. The Storm game…the first Rabbits game...the match in NZ against a poor NZ team we didn't even turn up for...the Dogs game was butchered.

We had our chance to do something this season.

It was who rather than how many. Galloway has hurt a fair bit but Skandalis has done a great job and should keep his spot. Collis and Lawrence were out in tandom and the side struggled for strike power without them and we lost the close ones.

Um, we can still make the finals, you know. Until we are mathematically eliminated the season is not yet wasted.

We are still in this season,and if we beat the Faiders next week we are gonna be on the doorstep of the eight.

And our for and against has improved vastly in the last two weeks.

@TigersFan4Life said:
Um, we can still make the finals, you know. Until we are mathematically eliminated the season is not yet wasted.

I hope you're right :smiley:

Next week is massive as it's another 'must win' and Canberra's best form is all on Sunday arvo / day games / at home.

Realistically though, we are too far back and the it's hard to see which of the bottom few could fall out.

Manly = they will be there.

Maybe Penrith, but they have a decent run home.

We have a decent run home…will be wasted if we miss the finals....perhaps we still can...Manly ar no certs neither are Brisbane Penrth or the Cowboys...

Every game is a must win build momentum.....Wests Tigers are playing a lot better now than earlier in the year.....

@anderson silva said:
we will be a better team next year**, with ayford moving to the forwards** and the out side back signings, moltzen improving at 7 and if we actually do buy a natural half it will be even better.

Jesus christ, I hope not, he'll get snapped in half if he dont double his size.

Back