A word on Gareth...

B

Belta

The Englishman with the superhero jawline is sure one impressive individual. The guy wanted to play in the NRL because he wanted to prove himself in the best league against the best players, no doubt costing himself $$$ in the process.

Since the start of the year he has continually improved and raised his game as he has adjusted to the speed and toughness of the NRL. He is the backbone and the starch in the tigers' defence as he launches himself fully into each tackle he makes. You can see the determination he puts into being as effective as possible in the tackle, his tendency to stick a leg out testimant to wanting to put everything into it.

Ellis' attack has also improved and he now seems comfortable with the playing style of the tigers and running off the chief playmakers. It is rare that he doesn't get over the advantage line and he resists from throwing passes that aren't on even though he seems like he could get arms free if he wanted to.

Add to this that fact that his attitude is A+ and he is very well spoken when speaking with the media.

One impressive individual - now if he could only get that bloody try!

Agree with all you said, i would go as far as saying he is our best purchase ever.

He is a gun. Love him.

Hardly ever does anything rash or dumb, truly inspirational, one of our best buys ever - seems as though he has had an influence on the team's defensive style.

Need a try tonight!!!!

Agree one of our best purchases ever since the first year I reckon he is in the top 5 established players we have bough with McCracken (I know he only played 15 games but we won most of them and fell apart after ), Prince, RIchards, Hodgo

He has added so much too the team especially in defence but also attitude and hardness our pack looks so much stronger with him in it and I think next year he will be even more confident in attack and I predict he could almost be the Dally M winner next year given the team we have lining up for next year and his continued improvement

@Spank said:
Agree with all you said, i would go as far as saying he is our best purchase ever.

there are few better sights in league than a big hit and whenever big elmo is around i am always looking for it and rarely disappointed!
he is awesome but at this stage, he just needs a bit more time to overtake hodgo as the best buy imo… but i think he will get there.

@Belta said:
The Englishman with the superhero jawline is sure one impressive individual. The guy wanted to play in the NRL because he wanted to prove himself in the best league against the best players, no doubt costing himself $$$ in the process.

Since the start of the year he has continually improved and raised his game as he has adjusted to the speed and toughness of the NRL. He is the backbone and the starch in the tigers' defence as he launches himself fully into each tackle he makes. You can see the determination he puts into being as effective as possible in the tackle, his tendency to stick a leg out testament to wanting to put everything into it.

Ellis' attack has also improved and he now seems comfortable with the playing style of the tigers and running off the chief playmakers. It is rare that he doesn't get over the advantage line and he resists from throwing passes that aren't on even though he seems like he could get arms free if he wanted to.

Add to this that fact that his attitude is A+ and he is very well spoken when speaking with the media.

One impressive individual - now if he could only get that bloody try!

I hope I am not the only one but I think this is inarguable. That everything you have said is spot on.

seems like a great guy off the field aswell. love the accent :slight_smile:

again played a great game tonight in both defence n attack.
if all our forwards played 75% like gareth we would dominate every pack.
having said that, the boys tried hard tonight n deserved to win.

I was just taking a look at this forum to see what you all reckoned to Ellis.

Im glad you have all seen how good he is, and not let the pommy tag get in the way of his skills.

Hes a fantastic player and did all us rhinos fans proud while he was at the club.

He always puts his body on the line, but like many of you have said, never makes many mistakes.

I cant wait to see him in an England jersey once again.

Just wish the rest of the mugs putting the england jersey on (not incuding Peacock, Morley, Graham, Burgess and Roby) would take a leaf out of his book, and concentrate on their game, before talking balls like were actually at a standard to compete with australia and NZ.

Our forwards may be able to compete, but out halfs and backline will never have a chance until they finally get rid of the old hat, take a leaf out the aussies book, and give some youth some games.

We need County Origin back, Lancashire v Yorkshire. It would certainly give us a chance to see how our youth handle the closest thing to a test.

Good luck wests in the play offs!!

Love his attitude and defense, still awaiting the arrival of his attacking flare, prepared to wait however as he is the goods.

I agree 100%. I have watched his play closely the second part of the season and even when we played cronulla and the emphasis went to attack he was still the one making the important tackle. Same against parra, most times an important tackle was made it was ellis that got to his feet at marker.

It looks like he is enjoying his stay - make him happy wests tigers so he can be here for the long haul and perhaps be joined by a couple of his prop mates!

was just thinking the other day how good it is to have a pom play for us. Up until the 80s it was normal to have four or five playing in oz at any time but since then usually none, sometimes 1.

Why aren't there more of them ? surely there are a few more that can cut the mustard in NRL and it would be so good if they could use what they learn in Oz to make a decent pommy international side.

also I think they bring something to our game. I love watching the english games on tele. Not same intensity / standad of defence means much more broken play which in my book is a good thing.

John Gray, even though he played for manly / norths, was the best pommy i recall.

Back