OFFICIAL Adam Doueihi #227

Hope AD stays healthy this year as he will cement the 7 jersey.
He is so much better than people give him credit for.
He DEFINITELY lifted his defence in 2025. I never doubted his attacking ability or ever under estimated his value as a kicker including both goal kicking and in general play.
However, until he went on to prove me (and many others on the forum) wrong and had a stellar year contrary to so many pre season predictions he'd be a defensive liability.

If he can replicate that defensive effort this season and maintain his potent attacking ability, I think we'll see both Adam and Romey
-with Adam taking some of the attacking work off him- have their best seasons for the club.
 
He DEFINITELY lifted his defence in 2025. I never doubted his attacking ability or ever under estimated his value as a kicker including both goal kicking and in general play.
However, until he went on to prove me (and many others on the forum) wrong and had a stellar year contrary to so many pre season predictions he'd be a defensive liability.

If he can replicate that defensive effort this season and maintain his potent attacking ability, I think we'll see both Adam and Romey
-with Adam taking some of the attacking work off him- have their best seasons for the club.

Agree re AD defensively in 25, he made massive strides I thought.

We also need to remember he hasn’t had an injury free full preseason and serious run in the body/legs for ages - if he can get his fitness right, defensively keep improving then he provides some very positive value to us outside his running game.
 
Agree re AD defensively in 25, he made massive strides I thought.

We also need to remember he hasn’t had an injury free full preseason and serious run in the body/legs for ages - if he can get his fitness right, defensively keep improving then he provides some very positive value to us outside his running game.
Provided he has his head in the game for 80 minutes at a time!
 
AD for mine will be our 7 until he plays bad , Latu who I like due topi tough aggressive approach seems a bit brittle but that could change and I hope it does but Adam’s kicking is strong , huge kicks to keep opposition teams down their end , bombs that are hard to take , and he is a big body for a half , he could also attack the line close in with strength , he runs hard and is quick for a big guy , and to have Sam F and KPP on each side if they show aggressive hard running will keep opposition teams on the backward step , close up you have KPP , SamF , Adam and Twally running at the line and close up we should be using the likes of Bunty , Hunt , Pole to bash their way in for tries , speed is also there with May Jnr in the middle and Skelton is also a big body who should be used close up , come in off the wing for a run after say SamF ,
 
Keeping the roles simple but the location & commitment of the roles is 100% key.

Fundamentals are also important.

The challenge I have with our formation is the impact defensively. Because we don’t practice the setup and formations it then means we can’t defend it, as defensively we don’t train for it. It drives over commitment & over playing an individual hand.

The amount of times players over clock defensively or in attack forming congestion or looking lost that leads to opposition scoring / line break / easy field position was high - could pick it multiple times in most games. It impacts the scoreboard or even field positioning & workload.

Rugby League is actually a very simple game majority of time. We can do something different but we need to respect the fundamentals as well in doing so.
Great points.

I like what Jolls was saying in terms of a hybrid 13/7 role, but AD is a skill based half, not a managing half so I doubt he can make a transition to an organising 13.

In fact, there aren't many organising 13s in the comp other than Yeo and Murray.

The management part of halfback play cannot be learned through teaching only, you need to go with your experiences. Setting up the entire set to finish at Point A, having back ups in case we finish at Point B or C etc doesn't come natural to anyone, it needs to be repeated.

What Douehi did for a short period last year cannot be a template as it cannot be repeated week in and week out.

In our entire existennce, I don't feel like we have developed an out and out halfback. The reason being it takes years of repetitions, coaching and intellect to pull it off.

If Latu is that person then we need to keep him at NSW Cup to get the reps in. Overcommunicate, direct the boys around, learn how to set up sets etc.
 
With what we have ot our disposal I think Benji needs to throw out the convention of the conventional 13 and 7, For us I think they are just numbers if our goal is to run a combination of Luai, AD and Latu. for this to wrok we need to develop a system that works for us; similar to the way Conulla developed it with Wade Graham.

I totally agree with you about our lack of structure but with the players we have I don't think we need to overcomplicate it. Latu would benefit from a bit more structre and Luai from a little less. What we require structure wise is players on their edges running lines that work for thir play maker so thay can be hit as required. It gives our playmakers options. Sure we can incorporate block plays etc, but not too much as it stifles natural playmakers.

Who drives the boat? That's where our problem lies; if AD is the leader he says he is - time to step up and show his football IQ. To me he needs significant development - he can play, and play well, in bursts; but he is a lazy player on both sides of the ball at times. If he wants to be in the halves mix he needs to step up in a big way - not just one or two games or in patches during games.

Benji has a lot to do over this off season to get us firing. He has made the decision not to recruit a specialist 13 so let's see what he makes of what we have. How this flows down into the lower grades is another big question mark that needs to be addressed at some point.
Wade Graham played L edge not 13.

The only other teams that I can think did what you're saying is Dogs in 2014 with Graham, Kasiano etc, however even that was short- lived.

Douehi and Latu have a good boot on them, whereas Luai has the smarts. I feel Luai needs to be that organising half, however, albeit setting it up for last tackle for Douehi/ Latu.

I agree with what you're saying in terms of creating our own brand and maybe that can be an organising 6 but a kicking 7. Kind of like Dragons 2010 when Hornby did the organising and Soward did the kicking.
 
Wade Graham played L edge not 13.

The only other teams that I can think did what you're saying is Dogs in 2014 with Graham, Kasiano etc, however even that was short- lived.

Douehi and Latu have a good boot on them, whereas Luai has the smarts. I feel Luai needs to be that organising half, however, albeit setting it up for last tackle for Douehi/ Latu.

I agree with what you're saying in terms of creating our own brand and maybe that can be an organising 6 but a kicking 7. Kind of like Dragons 2010 when Hornby did the organising and Soward did the kicking.
You're right Graham did not play with a 13 on his back but they used him as a running half at times, while also playing a link role out wide as a bally player. I guess the point I was truing to make is that they used him for the skills he had as opposed to the number on his back; which is the point I was trying to get at.

The Dragons example is another good one, as was Hunt as a 7/9.
 
So you're saying we have 20 rounds of Jock Madden to look forward to. Great...
Still the most bizarre signing for me in 26+.
Can’t wait to see how he’s used ( if at all) and how’s much he’s developed as a Bronco.
But then again, maybe there’s something happening that Benji knows but hasn’t shared ( ie Luai decides he’s had enough?
 
Still the most bizarre signing for me in 26+.
Can’t wait to see how he’s used ( if at all) and how’s much he’s developed as a Bronco.
But then again, maybe there’s something happening that Benji knows but hasn’t shared ( ie Luai decides he’s had enough?
Madden is probably nothing above a average backup on small dollars ,about to be squeezed out at Brisbane.
Richo stated early in the peace , we needed to put more quality in reggies Our main halfback last year 2nd grade probably best switching sports
 
Still the most bizarre signing for me in 26+.
Can’t wait to see how he’s used ( if at all) and how’s much he’s developed as a Bronco.
But then again, maybe there’s something happening that Benji knows but hasn’t shared ( ie Luai decides he’s had enough?
Purely depth. He played 10 games for Broncos FG in 2024, with 25 marred by injury. Was in their Top 30. So he's not nothing.

He'd be after Luai, Doueihi and Latu in pecking order, so we'd need to have a couple of injuries.

Solid depth signing and a good news story to have someone return.
 
Would have preferred Latu starting the year at 1/2.
ADs actions almost caught up to his self-appraisal last year, Got to give him credit for that.
Hoping Madden will impress Bengie, bit more ying n yang -Madden Luia
Opposed to AD Luia ,as long as we are winning ,no need to fix it
So your preference at Halfback is Madden or Latu?

We really need 1x halfback and that person gets control of the team.

5/8 is a position that can roam. Only a few 5/8's have really directed teams, Terry Lamb comes to mind.

I wouldn't mind it if Luai were to grab the team by the balls and say "Boom I am halfback", he can play the position. Otherwise I really think AD is the only other person who shows the ownership.

Fainu doesn't, Madden also is a half but not your "batman".
 
So your preference at Halfback is Madden or Latu?

We really need 1x halfback and that person gets control of the team.

5/8 is a position that can roam. Only a few 5/8's have really directed teams, Terry Lamb comes to mind.

I wouldn't mind it if Luai were to grab the team by the balls and say "Boom I am halfback", he can play the position. Otherwise I really think AD is the only other person who shows the ownership.

Fainu doesn't, Madden also is a half but not your "batman".
Jerome is best being second fiddle, but he took the mission ,
Your glossing over some talent with your words
 
Jerome is best being second fiddle, but he took the mission ,
Your glossing over some talent with your words
Do you mean a 5/8 who lead their squad...

I probably am.

Darryn Lockyer comes to mind, although it's Brisbane and he established himself at Fullback.

Most 5/8 though are more strike weapons:
Munster, GI (at 5/8 fullback or center, he was a strike weapon and not a director of play).

Honestly strugging to think of too many more 5/8's that really lead their sides around the park... I don't think it's that common but I am sure there are a heap of names I have forgotten.
 
Just don’t get the signing of madden, below average half. As proven when broncos went down by 2 halves in one game, he basically was 5th choice! We should have done better.
 
Back
Top