Alcohol Advertising in Sport

Zaibatsu

What do you think about the new proposed laws to ban alcohol from being advertised in televised sporting events?

Its an absolute joke imo, and could seriously damage all Aussie sports, the financial situation is tough and finding sponsorship is hard enough as it is.

Soon the AFL will lose Carlton as a sponsor, the Aussie league & cricket sides will lose VB, QLD Maroons will lose XXXX etc etc, the list is endless and the corporate loss will be massive.

Whats pathetic is its ok for channel :::9 and FOX to advertise the latest TAB prices every 15 seconds during live broadcasts but advertising a beer is soon to be illegal, I would have thought gambling is just as damaging as having a damn beer…

Australia is slowly but surely becoming a dictatorship, I'm sick of it.

Could you imagine the American government proposing this? NO...

Haha I was about to post the same topic!

If Rudd thinks this is the best way to stop people drinking too much and stop the alcohol related incidents involving sports players he's kidding himself!

Sooooooo many sports teams rely on the industry for sponsorship dollars. Figures being quoted are around $300million annually. Both the sports teams and alcohol companies could raise the issue of restriction of income maybe?

I think Rudd needs a good night on the turps, he obviously has a hate for it!

Won't and shouldn't happen. Its a persons choice to drink and I can't see how a government should get the right to say how a company operates itself, especially when the product is legal and is a choice, not a must.

@alex said:

<big>**If Rudd thinks this is the best way to stop people drinking too much and stop the alcohol related incidents involving sports players he's kidding himself!**</big>

Sooooooo many sports teams rely on the industry for sponsorship dollars. Figures being quoted are around $300million annually. Both the sports teams and alcohol companies could raise the issue of restriction of income maybe?

Thats not his intention.

Bad news though, this will filter all the way down to grass roots.
For a Govt trying to get a healthier australia because a monority abuse a product that the majority enjoy responsibly, the lack of sponsorship making junior sport unaffordable for many will result in more juvenile obesity, theyve got it all arse up

@innsaneink said:
@alex said:

<big>**If Rudd thinks this is the best way to stop people drinking too much and stop the alcohol related incidents involving sports players he's kidding himself!**</big>

Thats not his intention.

For a Govt trying to get a healthier australia because a monority abuse a product that the majority enjoy responsibly, the lack of sponsorship making junior sport unaffordable for many will result in more juvenile obesity, theyve got it all arse up

Why else would he consider the ban? It's got to do with either drunken behaviour of sports fans or young fans exposure to alcohol … I cant think of anything else. If it's brining $300 million into the economy and he wants to scrap it he's got rocks for brains ... duhhh we's is in a recession mr ruddddddd.

@alex said:
@innsaneink said:
@alex said:

Thats not his intention.

Why else would he consider the ban? It's got to do with either drunken behaviour of sports fans or young fans exposure to alcohol … I cant think of anything else. If it's brining $300 million into the economy and he wants to scrap it he's got rocks for brains ... duhhh we's is in a recession mr ruddddddd.

They say under-age drinking is at its most prevelant while a high percentage of assaults, rapes and murders involved intoxication apparently. A media ban won't work but I guess it needs to be seen doing something.

Under age drinking is no more prevalent now than it was 20-30 years ago.

You just didnt have media looking for a story back then. Journos these days will write an article on anything if it's a slow news day.

@alex said:
Under age drinking is no more prevalent now than it was 20-30 years ago.

You just didnt have media looking for a story back then. Journos these days will write an article on anything if it's a slow news day.

I agree totally.

Everyone who picks up a bottle of alcohol knows the dangers of consuming it (in whatever quantity). Why should the producers be forced to suffer because some people can't drink responsibly?

@Marshall_magic said:
Everyone who picks up a bottle of alcohol knows the dangers of consuming it (in whatever quantity). Why should the producers be forced to suffer because some people can't drink responsibly?

Because our country is slowly but surely becomming a dictatorship :frowning:

First alcopops tax grab, now banning alcohol advertising in sport.
Time to turn this thread into a political soap box for a second. Someone please tell me who voted these fiscal incompetents into power. Because aside from the odd dickhead, I can't find anyone who'll own up to voting for them. :angry:

I voted labour and probably will next election if Turnbull is still there. If Costello puts his hand up than it will change though.

Members online

Back