Alcohol

Are you suggesting that you are going to try to drink 6L of water in 4 hours?

If so, that could be dangerous. Depending on the person, our kidneys can excrete between 0.8L - 1L of water per hour.

If we exceed that limit over time then it can result in water intoxication, significant dilution of our electrolytes, particularly sodium, and severe side effects and ultimately, death.

Prof Tim Noakes wrote a book on the subject called: Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports.

On the other hand, if your not planning to attempt 6L of water in 4 hours, then please disregard the above.

don’t tell me what to do.

Also, Tim Noakes work was discredited once it was found out his “research” was funded by Big Soda.

I've recently realised I am a binge drinker and it's absolutely related to stress. It got much worse 2019-2022, but I got back on track last year, drinking less in a sitting, having at least 3 days alcohol free. I feel I'm doing OK, but it doesn't take long to blow out again. Like this last week ... Monday, I hit a roo and almost wrote off Husband's spare work ute. Then I drove off in another spare car, with his phone on the roof 🤦🏻‍♀️ he found it, undamaged 🥰 Then he destroyed 2 wheels and tyres on the car trailer towing the ute home. Then my uncle passed away. Friday, I met up with former forummer, Brisvegas Tiger, and had a bottle of wine. Got a phone call from my BIL telling me that a really good mate, who'd been a coma since December, had passed away. So, I drank the whole of that first bottle, and then had another. To myself. Stress takes away my ability to stop - drinking, eating, whatever - and that's what I'm trying to work on now. Managing my stress so that I don't lose control and drink it away.
I’d say a saga of cumulative effects that was obviously out of the ordinary SQ.
Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again. Just get back to your alcohol free days and drink in moderation.
And try not to reach for a bottle if you have some stress.
Cheers Hal.

Alcohol is a drug just like any other.
The sooner they ban it and legalise pot

That almost makes sense. :unsure:

Seriously though mate, coming from someone that's never tried pot in their life, I have no idea why they don't just tax weed and have it sold just like tobacco, at the end of the day that's all the government really cares about, taxing the people. Piss and smokes are only around as the government is making a killing off them. If they actually cared about the governed ones health like all these campaigns pretend they do, they would simply ban alcohol and tobacco. They have laws for bike helmets and seatbelts for 'citizens safety' If they cared about health issues, smokes and alcohol would have been banned decades ago, but so would sugar. So I have no idea how there can be any argument around today about weed not being legal. Cue the Tipper Gore, pearl clutching gateway drug pundits.
There seems to be a view that marijuana is not dangerous and should be legalised. Stupidly, I smoked it once in my life and its only effect was to make me sleepy. But, I've seen a terrible side of it and would never want to see it legalised.
When my youngest son was about 20 he was hit by a truck while crossing the road. Nobody who saw it could believe he wasn't killed. His recovery took nearly 12 months and during that time he started smoking marijuana heavily. He'd smoked lightly before but he took it to excess. His whole personality changed. Over time he became withdrawn and moody. He became unreliable at work and lost most of his friends.
That went on for years and there was nothing we could do but watch him descend into the depths of despair. He lost jobs, borrowed money from us that was never repaid etc etc.
I'm used to being in control and to feel utterly helplessness and useless while someone you love more than your own life destroys himself is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
Fast forward five more years and things are so much better. He's been off weed for five years, has held the same job for four years, completed a mature age apprenticeship, is highly thought of at his work and with plenty of overtime available earns really good money. His personality, mood and social life has improved a lot but is probably not back to where he was but with more time he may keep improving.
I've seen at close hand what addiction can do to the addicted and those who love them. For most of my childhood my mother was a hopeless alcoholic, not the happy-go-lucky type but the nasty, mean-spirited vicious type. I hated my childhood and couldn't wait to get out of home.
So, addiction is a terrible thing whether it's alcohol, marijuana or hard drugs. If you have a problem you have my sympathy but remember those around you are hurting too. And, let's not make it too easy for people to become addicted to things that can harm them or those who love them.

The sooner they ban it and legalise pot

That almost makes sense. :unsure:

Seriously though mate, coming from someone that's never tried pot in their life, I have no idea why they don't just tax weed and have it sold just like tobacco, at the end of the day that's all the government really cares about, taxing the people. Piss and smokes are only around as the government is making a killing off them. If they actually cared about the governed ones health like all these campaigns pretend they do, they would simply ban alcohol and tobacco. They have laws for bike helmets and seatbelts for 'citizens safety' If they cared about health issues, smokes and alcohol would have been banned decades ago, but so would sugar. So I have no idea how there can be any argument around today about weed not being legal. Cue the Tipper Gore, pearl clutching gateway drug pundits.
Oh it makes sense.
Nicotine is one of the most poisonous of all drugs worse than arsenic and cyanide but obviously in lower does in a ciggy but there is also arsenic in cigarettes anyway, just for that extra pick-me-up. But yeah it’s time pot was legalised, gateway drug my ass, that’s alcohol. The only reason pot is not legal is they don’t know how to tax it, but as a part taker of natures gifts I don’t want them to legalise it, just decriminalise it. Help the people who can’t help themselves and end up addicts, and this doesn’t happen smoking pot. But alc, cigs, and chems, are highly addictive and our approach should not be banning or taxing as that hurts the non addictive people (like me🤪). We need to be educating people to help themselves and have the mental capacity and strength of will to handle their own shite. Or we could just leave em to their own devices, survival of the fittest? I know I’ll be ok.
No more laws or taxes. They are trying to price us out of alc and cigs, soon only the rich will be able to afford them and that’s not fair on the majority. One thing I can say is some of these newer chems have a very strong hook, that took one of my besties, nearly had the bro inlaw; he was getting angry all the time and recognised it when I confronted him about it, he stopped almost immediately.
Drugs are bad ok.
Except pot. 🪴

I have worked in pubs and clubs my whole working life...I have seen drunken spew soaked people of all ages trying to prove how much GROG they can handle...trust me it doesnt end well..
the younger guys and girls who are aged 18 on their birthday cant wait to get into a pub or club and down shots,wine ,beer,spirits etc to show their ID and become part of the society that can drink the other under the table..
Its a culture that many of us have been through,we get pissed with our mates until 3/4 in the morning and get up at 6.30 and go to work and think nothing of it..the wonder of youth,BUT eventually things get out of hand,the family can see you drink copious amounts daily and all of a sudden things dont get done ,you spend most days off in bed,your mates depend on you for help BUT your suddenly unavailable because your hungover and tiered..
We all have to be responsible for our own actions...
I have been on the end of drunken nights out,fights ,racial abuse all because of alcohol..
If we sat down and had a sober conversation about where this leads to we could come up with a very good solution and help those that need it most..
I have many detractors on this forum that dont like me or my input,however I have had first hand experience with drug addiction,alcohlism and racial abuse,all it done was make me a better person for admitting my faults..Im not perfect but I turned my life around because of football and the strong character of my mates I had around me..
We can all do it if we ask for help,its what God would expect of us...

That's a horrible account, mate. There's many with similar stories no doubt.

In my opinion, that's a reflection of a weak individual.

Weed, alcohol, whatever; people with self control don't engage in these behaviours. I don't think it is a reflection of the compound.

The sooner people start blaming the person and not the vehicle, the better.

I enjoy both, in moderation. But there was a time, like most, when I was younger, when I didn't have the self-control to know my limits and have gotten into blues at the local, barneys with mates, etc.

I think that with age comes a bit of maturity. You would hope anyway.

Young people should be educated far heavier and be monitored much more closely in their consumption and older people should simply 'know better'. If they don't, they should be judged very, very harshly.

There's nothing funny or appealing about a middle-aged man who is blind drunk and hopefully one day societal pushback will send the same message.
Mum used to say “there’s always someone who’s worse off”.

I am not an angry drunk so never had fights unless there was an angry drunk around.

“people with self control don't engage in these behaviours”
Yeah that’s just incorrect. Some of us are non addictive. I’m coming off heavy PK meds now. Got to the point the Doctors didn’t know what to do bcoz I got to min dose pretty quick but every time I drop it I’d get the DTs in the body. Now some of these meds give me a real nice buzz mixed, so I enjoy them but also know that it’s time and once it’s time in my head to stop there’s no halting it. So it’s taken me about two weeks to almost halve my intake and before the end of this month I’ll be free of meds with no help from the doctors. It’s like a switch inside my brain, but I know others are not like that. But I can’t agree with you when you say “people with self control don't engage in these behaviours”

There seems to be a view that marijuana is not dangerous and should be legalised. Stupidly, I smoked it once in my life and its only effect was to make me sleepy. But, I've seen a terrible side of it and would never want to see it legalised.
When my youngest son was about 20 he was hit by a truck while crossing the road. Nobody who saw it could believe he wasn't killed. His recovery took nearly 12 months and during that time he started smoking marijuana heavily. He'd smoked lightly before but he took it to excess. His whole personality changed. Over time he became withdrawn and moody. He became unreliable at work and lost most of his friends.
That went on for years and there was nothing we could do but watch him descend into the depths of despair. He lost jobs, borrowed money from us that was never repaid etc etc.
I'm used to being in control and to feel utterly helplessness and useless while someone you love more than your own life destroys himself is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
Fast forward five more years and things are so much better. He's been off weed for five years, has held the same job for four years, completed a mature age apprenticeship, is highly thought of at his work and with plenty of overtime available earns really good money. His personality, mood and social life has improved a lot but is probably not back to where he was but with more time he may keep improving.
I've seen at close hand what addiction can do to the addicted and those who love them. For most of my childhood my mother was a hopeless alcoholic, not the happy-go-lucky type but the nasty, mean-spirited vicious type. I hated my childhood and couldn't wait to get out of home.
So, addiction is a terrible thing whether it's alcohol, marijuana or hard drugs. If you have a problem you have my sympathy but remember those around you are hurting too. And, let's not make it too easy for people to become addicted to things that can harm them or those who love them.
I don’t agree with everything you’ve said, but can totally respect your experience with your son, and your opinion.
Making things illegal isn’t working and I want freedom of choice.

The sooner they ban it and legalise pot and make it mandatory that everyone smoke it when they get home from work the nicer the world will be.
My old man never came home stoned and beat the shit out of his wife and kid, but I remember when he’d come home and we’d look out the window to see how drunk he was getting out the cab, if he was abusing the cabbie it was run and hide time.
And he wasn’t even the worst. Some of mums other f/wits could brown right cruel. One half way house we lived in this other alcoholic mother used to kick me down a flight of stairs from behind. I didn’t even know what was happening until mum caught her doing it.
Alcohol is just another drug.
It's amazing that after the tough upbringing you had, you've been able to be respectful (y) of other posters, and you've kept your sense of humor(y):).
You're a good man Buttface.

That's a horrible account, mate. There's many with similar stories no doubt.

In my opinion, that's a reflection of a weak individual.

Weed, alcohol, whatever; people with self control don't engage in these behaviours. I don't think it is a reflection of the compound.

The sooner people start blaming the person and not the vehicle, the better.

I enjoy both, in moderation. But there was a time, like most, when I was younger, when I didn't have the self-control to know my limits and have gotten into blues at the local, barneys with mates, etc.

I think that with age comes a bit of maturity. You would hope anyway.

Young people should be educated far heavier and be monitored much more closely in their consumption and older people should simply 'know better'. If they don't, they should be judged very, very harshly.

There's nothing funny or appealing about a middle-aged man who is blind drunk and hopefully one day societal pushback will send the same message.
I drank to excess nearly every night for a couple of years, because like you, I didn't have the self-control to stop when I'd had enough.

I was doing things that were completely out of character for me which resulted in getting into more trouble than I could handle.
I drove my car many times when I knew I would have been well and truly over the limit and luckily was able to drive past a booze bus one night.
I eventually came to my senses and stopped drinking alcohol completely about 25 years ago.

I had a small cancerous growth removed from my bladder about 10 years ago which I would have thought may have been caused by grog, but my Dr. suggested 'smoking' is a cause of bladder cancer.
I stopped smoking about 25 years ago as well.

There has to be a reason why alcohol is called 'the demon drink'.... for a lot of people.

I don’t agree with everything you’ve said, but can totally respect your experience with your son, and your opinion.
Making things illegal isn’t working and I want freedom of choice.
Fair enough. Whether I like it or not, it will happen in Australia and probably sooner rather than later. I know there are people who enjoy a smoke every now and then without serious harmful effects. But there are others for whom the combination of their brain chemistry with the drug's chemistry is a disaster. They are the people I worry about if MJ becomes freely available. There is always a price for any freedom.

Reactions: BZN
Fair enough. Whether I like it or not, it will happen in Australia and probably sooner rather than later. I know there are people who enjoy a smoke every now and then without serious harmful effects. But there are others for whom the combination of their brain chemistry with the drug's chemistry is a disaster. They are the people I worry about if MJ becomes freely available. There is always a price for any freedom.
I’m not sure it will happen in my lifetime.
The price for freedom is called Taxation.
Drug and brain chemistry is not my field of expertise but I have tried a lot of psychedelics and watched a bloke never come back. I ate the same mushroom 🍄 but he ended up in mental care for a good while and he back with mum and dad last I heard. I hope he’s ok.

• Sad
I smoked marijuana on one occasion only many years ago.
I had one puff only and felt immediately relaxed, so I can imagine how people could become addicted to the stuff.

I went for a drive to Nimbin recently to see what the place was all about.
The thing that struck me most of all were the drop out dudes that thought they were cool and looked like they had taken up residence on the seats thru the shopping area, that were obviously stoned.
The town smelt horrible, I didn't like the general atmosphere there at all and couldn't get out of the place quick enough.
If marijuana is legalised, I reckon we'll see a lot more Nimbins.

I had one puff only and felt immediately relaxed, so I can imagine how people could become addicted to the stuff.

The thing that struck me most of all were the drop out dudes that thought they were cool and looked like they had taken up residence on the seats thru the shopping area, that were obviously stoned.
The town smelt horrible, I didn't like the general atmosphere there at all and couldn't get out of the place quick enough.
I’ve smoked all my life and I’ve been to Nimbin. That is not a true representation of a responsible pot smoker they are the lowest form of pothead. I was taught you need to work to be able to afford all the pleasures in life you seek, not sit on the footpath dress in the same clothes you’ve had on for a week and beg for 2 bob or “you wanna buy a foilly?”
You don’t get addicted to pot like other drugs, you just don’t. It’s a decision every time, if you mix it with baccy (mull up), then you get addicted to the nicotine not the pot. Smoke it on its own and there is a distinct lack of addiction.
Now back to Nimbin, I wanna point out that the word “Bin” is in the name. I think that describes it for anyone else remotely interested in going there, and the so called Pot Museum was like someone went to the tip and pick up a load and then glue that rubbish to the walls. For a responsible pot smoker it was very disappointing and left me concern that I would be tainted with the same brush. Not all pot smokers are useless idiots just the ones that choose to be. I just completed a legally binding building construction report that the heads of state will mull over (pardon the pun), complete with costings, determinations, procedures, and likely results. This is why I stick with Buttface bcoz most people don’t understand and if they found what I do in my spare time would probably disown me. But yet if I was an alcoholic they would probably look the other way bcoz I do good work with great results for all parties involved. Society is upside down sometimes?

The worst thing about that place is the road that leads to it. I used to drive a truck and I took a job delivering furniture to there. Did it once and never again. The road's like a ride at Luna Park. I guess they're too stoned to notice.

Last edited:
  • Haha
It might be notionally 'illegal' but it's already easily available.

Decriminalised too in a lot of states - you get a ticket
rather than going to court below a certain amount.
We'd be better off taxing it in my personal opinion.

Alcohol is the devils juice. the problem with 1 or 2
drinks is some people are wired differently and
cannot stop at a few. Sometimes I question why and
how booze was even legalised. Some pubs are open
before the chemist, big drinking culture in Oz too smh

Hope everyone that has gotten in trouble or has a
problem with it keeps fighting the good fight and
manages to face their demons. Addiction is a MF

My point stands, on no planet is pot more dangerous than the totality health and social issues arsing from alcohol and cigarettes and its deemed completely fine to consume. The broader point was things are only legal or not legal by the whims of the current government. Addiction is addiction, just like sugar etc. Citizen safety is fine to be mandated for bike helmets and seat belts etc but out the window with alcohol and cigarettes. Makes zero sense to have one substance banned and not another when arguably alcohol, (domestics, drunk driving, health/medical issues) are predominantly more harmful.

Latest posts

Members online

Back