All this Chest Beating?? Much to Prove

Eddie

Ok guys I know I am probably considered the voice of doom in here. However I like to see the team do well like all Tigers fans. In the last couple of weeks I see plenty of our fans and now the coach are saying Tigers players get snubbed for origin. We don't want to become a pack of whingers. Overall our past 4 seasons have not warranted much attention and if anything deserve a snub. When the rep teams were picked this year 6 weeks ago we were in a horror patch of form.

I see plenty of fans want to have a go at Rothfield's article saying we have taken advantage of a rails road draw during the origin. We have gone fdrom 4-5 and tottering to 8-5 and 3rd place. I think Rothfield is a hack like most. However his points are valid. We have been uninterupted and won 4 games in a row against poor opposition. I am not bagging our team here, we did our job very efficently picking up 4 relatively cheap wins when no one was watching so to speak. They are the cheap dirty wins you need in the middle of the season to take the pressure out at the back end. Now is when the draw gets alot tougher and we will see whether the players have learnt from the previous 4 seasons. We have not beaten any side featuring anywhere near the Top 8 in the last month and now our footy team will be tested.

Facts are though we have a lot to prove as a team and as an individual group of players. The fact that we have missed the finals the last 4 seasons is why not many of our players feature in rep football, and why Sheens is still under pressure. If this team had been perched in the Top 4 for a few seasons we would of had guys like Heighto, Galloway and Lawrence and co represent. Winning clubs with winning cultures over a period of time generally get rewarded by the rep selectors. We have to go out and do that.

I just think all this whinging about the Tigers being snubbed is not really justified. 4 seasons of failure for me means no one should be shouting from the rooftops. Sure we are 3rd at the moment but that is with 2 byes in a close comp with plenty left to do. The team and the players need to earn their stripes so to speak. 11 games left and by the end if we have as good a players and coach as we think we do, we will be sitting in the top 4 and attacking the premiership. We have positioned ourselves well but the pressure games are still to come. I think we can do it this year, but i don't think the "poor tigers why do they snub us" attitude is justified. Get the job done boys and the benefits will flow on from that,.

That would have to be the most rugby league intelligent post I've seen on this forum.
100% constructive criticism of the team without the inane bagging of coach and players that infects too much of the dialogue herein.

i get your point eddie

but Heinington, farah, lawrence and galloway and the rest of the team give it there all every week every year

if past success is they way you would select an origin team then make manly the nsw team then cause they are the only nsw team with great success over the last four years

The MOTHS have been very quiet lately.

Im assuming all the winning we are doing has something to do with it.

You dont have to be a rocket scientist to see that Rothfield made some fair points,Im stoked we havent lost any players to Origin and I hope it stays that way.

And…...if we beat Saints,is it time to acknowledge that this team is the real deal.

Is it still time to sack Sheens?

I would like to add that while we have not lost any to Origin,losing ur half/prop/winger for extended periods has brought us back to the Origin field.

Not too many sides could lose their seven and best prop and still win more than they lose.

@Eddie said:
Ok guys I know I am probably considered the voice of doom in here. However I like to see the team do well like all Tigers fans. In the last couple of weeks I see plenty of our fans and now the coach are saying Tigers players get snubbed for origin. We don't want to become a pack of whingers. Overall our past 4 seasons have not warranted much attention and if anything deserve a snub. When the rep teams were picked this year 6 weeks ago we were in a horror patch of form.

I see plenty of fans want to have a go at Rothfield's article saying we have taken advantage of a rails road draw during the origin. We have gone fdrom 4-5 and tottering to 8-5 and 3rd place. I think Rothfield is a hack like most. However his points are valid. We have been uninterupted and won 4 games in a row against poor opposition. I am not bagging our team here, we did our job very efficently picking up 4 relatively cheap wins when no one was watching so to speak. They are the cheap dirty wins you need in the middle of the season to take the pressure out at the back end. Now is when the draw gets alot tougher and we will see whether the players have learnt from the previous 4 seasons. We have not beaten any side featuring anywhere near the Top 8 in the last month and now our footy team will be tested.

Facts are though we have a lot to prove as a team and as an individual group of players. The fact that we have missed the finals the last 4 seasons is why not many of our players feature in rep football, and why Sheens is still under pressure. If this team had been perched in the Top 4 for a few seasons we would of had guys like Heighto, Galloway and Lawrence and co represent. Winning clubs with winning cultures over a period of time generally get rewarded by the rep selectors. We have to go out and do that.

I just think all this whinging about the Tigers being snubbed is not really justified. 4 seasons of failure for me means no one should be shouting from the rooftops. Sure we are 3rd at the moment but that is with 2 byes in a close comp with plenty left to do. The team and the players need to earn their stripes so to speak. 11 games left and by the end if we have as good a players and coach as we think we do, we will be sitting in the top 4 and attacking the premiership. We have positioned ourselves well but the pressure games are still to come. I think we can do it this year, but i don't think the "poor tigers why do they snub us" attitude is justified. Get the job done boys and the benefits will flow on from that,.

I think its pretty simple eddie.

Sheens sees the Origin predicament as a perfect opportunity to inspire our guys to greater heights at a time we really could use it.
He honestly believes players benefit from reps selection as I do too…..dont look at what our club and players have done for the last 4/5 years, look at what the Blues players have done....not much, so why shouldnt our blokes get a crack? The ones they HAVE selected from the clubs that were flying high have done SFA

Rothfield: Well he's just a troll and will jump on anything he knows will get a response...ala Rd 10 v souths

Look at the Dragons last 2 months results, particularly who theyve played.

SImon, If Sheens can guide us in the Top 4 from here, I will have no problem with him sticking around.

I don't hate the guy SImon. I just base my opinion on the fact he has failed to guide us into the finals the past 4 seasons. It is nice that we are running 3rd at Round 16, however that will mean nothing should be fade away and miss the finals.

Like I said i think we can do it this season, but the coach, players and group as a whole still have alot to prove in these next 11 games. It is time to deliver.

I understand what you are saying Eddie but the same doesn't seem to apply to other teams. Look at Cronulla and Canberra for example. At least 6 origin players from those 2 teams and when was the last time they were top 4?

Man….we are Top 4...Do some of you guys actually enjoy any of it at all.....

Means nothing if we don't qualify sure....At least enjoy the ride...

Yes Wests Tigers only beat teams cause they played crap....Who cares

Besides we already have rep players. The Kiwi Captain and one of England's best players. People tend to forget that for whatever reason. Farah will get back in there, whilst Galloway, Heighto and Lawrence remain a chance. If we make the Top 4 at seasons end it willvenhance their claims much more.

@Geo. said:
Man….we are Top 4...Do some of you guys actually enjoy any of it at all.....

Means nothing if we don't qualify sure....At least enjoy the ride...

Yes Wests Tigers only beat teams cause they played crap....Who cares

i agree who cares if we have beat crap teams the same goes for the dragons so i dont know why were getting the ringer just cos the selectors arent picking our guys. dragons have had a bye, faced the raiders eels and sharks recently who are all playing terrible. They came up against a tough warriors side in NZ and just got the win but prior to that beat a crap bulldogs side and got beaten by the raiders and manly.

i see only one manly as an inform top 8 side that they have faced in the last 2 months. if anything we had a huge wake up call after staring down a long streak of losses. dragons have been coasting along and i think are vulnerable this friday to be taken to the cleaners.

good luck tigers!

We have a lot to prove and I think Sheens comments are a little over the top.

I agree that Ennis does not offer much at all however Robbie imo is only starting to get back to the form he is capable off.

Apart from Robbie I think Heighington is the only other player who really deserves a shot at origin.

We have rep level players like Benji and Ellis who are not elilgible to play SOO.

We will get a very good idea where we are at after Friday, playing the Drags away on a heavy track is a big ask. Even if we go down its not the end of the world its more about how we compete. As Eddie eluded to many people in NRL world judge us on the last few years efforts. This team must make people stand up and take them seriously by beating some serious contenders over the next month.

@supercoach said:
We will get a very good idea where we are at after Friday, playing the Drags away on a heavy track is a big ask. Even if we go down its not the end of the world its more about how we compete. As Eddie eluded to many people in NRL world judge us on the last few years efforts. This team must make people stand up and take them seriously by beating some serious contenders over the next month.

Just remember its the same (and I mean literally the same as only a couple have moved on from the club…) St George that got dusted on the very same ground by that ballerina Hayne and his merry band of offloaders...

We're every bit a chance.

You cant win can you, when you beat sides that are going rubbish at Origin time its because you get the soft side of the draw, when you beat sides that are good at Origin time its because all their stars are missing, you cant have it both ways.

All the boys can do is beat what is in front of them, to be in the position we are in with some 'real' home games coming up (ie Leichardt and Cambo) is a great achievement for a side that lost its halfback early on, not that you would know it reading on here.

What makes the other teams crap is the fact that we have played better than them. If you want to see it that way, then Dragons are coming first, so every team they have beaten is crapper than them. How can the dragons beat anyone who is before them when they are coming first. This nonsense about beating crapper teams is plain stupid.

@simonthetiger said:
The MOTHS have been very quiet lately.

Im assuming all the winning we are doing has something to do with it.

You dont have to be a rocket scientist to see that Rothfield made some fair points,Im stoked we havent lost any players to Origin and I hope it stays that way.

And…...if we beat Saints,is it time to acknowledge that this team is the real deal.

Is it still time to sack Sheens?

Excuse my ignorance, but ive been meaning to ask for a while, who are the "moths"?

One thing ive noticed about us is that we are a confidence side. It doesnt matter who we beat or how we beat them, as long as we are winning then look out. Take 05 for example. We beat no one leading into the finals and everyone thought we'd surrender against the top sides, but then we put 50 on the Cowboys, embarrassed the Broncos after they were the better side in the first half then beat hot shots St George.

No one, and i mean no one wants to play us in the finals.

moth is an acronym for man on the hill, a banned member here and other official forums, a keyboard hero, foul mouthed piece of work of the like whom I guess sheens refers to when he mentions 'so called fans'.
He is anti sheens yet simon lumps anyone with a similar view on sheens as a moth, thus stupidly putting the guy that goes by this moniker up on some sort of pedestal

Thanx Innk.

Simon wouldnt be the first to bracket a group of fans unfairly thats for sure. Many choose to say "you guys" etc, instead of being more specific. Something that bugs me as its often the easy way out when making a point.

Back