Anthony Field wants to buy Wests Tigers

Wounded_magpie

Blue Wiggle Anthony Field wants to buy into Wests Tigers and return Balmain to the NRL​

The founder of the Wiggles said he could fund his ‘fairytale’ of bringing Balmain back to the NRL if he sells the iconic children’s entertainment group for a ‘ridiculous’ amount of money.

Dean Ritchie
May 11, 2023 - 5:59AM

World famous Blue Wiggle and Wests Tigers tragic, Anthony Field, has revealed his dream of one day buying into the Wests Tigers and returning Balmain to the NRL as a single-entity team.

The Wiggles founder said he could fund his “fairytale” purchase if the iconic children’s entertainment group was ever sold for a “ridiculous” amount of money.

Field has been a fanatical Tigers fan his entire life and, while respecting and adoring the joint venture side since his beloved Balmain merged with Wests Magpies in 2000, he declared: “The world would be a better place if Balmain came back.”
“All my money now is invested in the Wiggles, and it would be a fairytale, but one day the Wiggles may sell somewhere. If I had that sort of money, yeah, I’d do it, absolutely.

Anthony Field ditches the Blue Wiggle skivvy for Balmain orange. Picture: Sam Ruttyn

Anthony Field ditches the Blue Wiggle skivvy for Balmain orange. Picture: Sam Ruttyn

“If the Wiggles were sold one day for a ridiculous amount of money, I would definitely do it. I feel like I’m opening up a can of worms here but you can’t sweep tradition under the carpet.”

Field would join the likes of South Sydney’s Russell Crowe, James Packer and Mike Cannon-Brookes, as well as the Manly Sea Eagles’ Scott Penn, as private owners of NRL clubs.

Wests Magpies currently hold 90 per cent of the Wests Tigers licence, with Balmain Tigers accounting for the remaining 10 per cent.

“I tell you what, I would do it in a very respectful way with Wests by trying to convince them that Western Australia would be good for the Wests Magpies — and Campbelltown — and the ‘Tiges’ would come back to Leichhardt,” Field said.

“Rugby league is a tribal sport and the world would be a better place if Balmain came back.

“Look, I buy into Wests Tigers because that’s all we’ve got, but I’ll be honest with you, if they announced tomorrow that Wests had their own team and Balmain had their own team, I don’t think I’d be sad – I’d be really happy, so happy.

“In the meantime, every week I’m buying tickets in the Italian lottery. If you win, that’s $250m, and with that sort of money I would go to Wests Ashfield and respectfully ask them if they’d like to row their own boat again.

Anthony Field and son Antonio at Leichhardt Oval in March. Picture: Instagram

“I hope they would still welcome me at Wests Leagues Club if I go down this path. Balmain is up against it because Wests hold all the cards at the moment, and that’s fine.”

Insiders suggest Wests Tigers would be worth around $20 million, although the Balmain portion would be significantly less.

The Wiggles are believed to be valued at at least $50 million. Field is the majority owner of the children’s supergroup with his personal wealth estimated to be around $20 million.

“I have told Anthony that I would back him 100 per cent if he bought Balmain back,” said Balmain legend, Ben Elias.

And in another throwback, Field would want to strip sponsorship logos from jerseys so clubs could play in a “pure’ football jumper.

“I’d love to get sponsorship off the jumpers so it would be a pure Balmain jumper. It’s absolutely beautiful. In America, they respect the jumper. You could still have sponsors and look after them,” he said.

“And bring the Leagues Club back so we could go somewhere after the games. I live in the past, mate.

Anthony Field and his daughter, Lucia, who became the second blue Wiggle. Picture: Sam Ruttyn

Anthony Field and his daughter, Lucia, who became the second blue Wiggle. Picture: Sam Ruttyn
“I’m all for the Wests Tigers but, seriously, the community at Leichhardt is all Balmain and if you go to Campbelltown, all the hard-core people are in Wests jumpers and that’s great.

“Leichhardt is still the greatest ground. Part of the charm is it’s run down and it’s exactly like it was (in the past). When I go there, you could be back in the 1990s when ‘Junior’ (Wayne Pearce) was running around. Leichhardt actually means something, like Lidcombe Oval.”

Field explained how and why he became such a passionate Tigers supporter.

“My grandfather (Donald Ritchie) used to walk from his home in Glebe in the late 1960s and early 1970s – and the great year of 1969 when I was six years old – to Leichhardt Oval and I was privileged enough to go to a few of those games with him,” he said.

“My dad (John) and family, when we lived at Lalor Park, were all Parramatta fans so I was kind of forced to wear the Eels jersey for a while – we had no choice. But, as soon as I was old enough to make up my own mind and had free choice I went straight to Balmain.

The Wests Tigers are on a two-game winning streak.

“Balmain was always everyone’s second team but they became my first team.

“I moved into the area many years ago, living in Drummoyne, and I’m now at Gladesville.

“Actually, when the Wiggles first tasted success there was a house for sale in Mary Street (next to Leichhardt Oval) but I just missed out.

“I would never have upgraded if I got that house, I would have stayed there happy.

“And I remember I took my now-wife (Michaela Patisteas) to a game, she was from Victoria and had no idea about league, one time at Leichhardt Oval. We were watching the Tigers getting absolutely demolished and she had a few drinks and fell backwards off one of the bench seats and I thought: ‘This is the girl I’m going to.

Field never misses a game.

“If I’m in Sydney and can get to a game, I’m there, mate. And I I’ve got all the apps (when overseas), I can’t miss a game,” he said.”

Isn’t about time we all embrace the JV. I’m filthy with Anthony’s idea

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Wiggle Anthony Field wants to buy into Wests Tigers and return Balmain to the NRL​

The founder of the Wiggles said he could fund his ‘fairytale’ of bringing Balmain back to the NRL if he sells the iconic children’s entertainment group for a ‘ridiculous’ amount of money.

Dean RitchieDean RitchieEXCLUSIVE
Follow
@BulldogRitchie

4 min read
May 11, 2023 - 5:59AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
0 comments

32:11
KFC SuperCoach NRL: Teams Podcast Round 11
Where did all the cheapies go? A week after talking up a cheapie resurgence, we are now struggling for bargain buys yet again.
View more related videos

World famous Blue Wiggle and Wests Tigers tragic, Anthony Field, has revealed his dream of one day buying into the Wests Tigers and returning Balmain to the NRL as a single-entity team.
The Wiggles founder said he could fund his “fairytale” purchase if the iconic children’s entertainment group was ever sold for a “ridiculous” amount of money.
Field has been a fanatical Tigers fan his entire life and, while respecting and adoring the joint venture side since his beloved Balmain merged with Wests Magpies in 2000, he declared: “The world would be a better place if Balmain came back.”
“All my money now is invested in the Wiggles, and it would be a fairytale, but one day the Wiggles may sell somewhere. If I had that sort of money, yeah, I’d do it, absolutely.

“If the Wiggles were sold one day for a ridiculous amount of money, I would definitely do it. I feel like I’m opening up a can of worms here but you can’t sweep tradition under the carpet.”

Field would join the likes of South Sydney’s Russell Crowe, James Packer and Mike Cannon-Brookes, as well as the Manly Sea Eagles’ Scott Penn, as private owners of NRL clubs.

Wests Magpies currently hold 90 per cent of the Wests Tigers licence, with Balmain Tigers accounting for the remaining 10 per cent.

“I tell you what, I would do it in a very respectful way with Wests by trying to convince them that Western Australia would be good for the Wests Magpies — and Campbelltown — and the ‘Tiges’ would come back to Leichhardt,” Field said.

“Rugby league is a tribal sport and the world would be a better place if Balmain came back.

“Look, I buy into Wests Tigers because that’s all we’ve got, but I’ll be honest with you, if they announced tomorrow that Wests had their own team and Balmain had their own team, I don’t think I’d be sad – I’d be really happy, so happy.

“In the meantime, every week I’m buying tickets in the Italian lottery. If you win, that’s $250m, and with that sort of money I would go to Wests Ashfield and respectfully ask them if they’d like to row their own boat again.

“I hope they would still welcome me at Wests Leagues Club if I go down this path. Balmain is up against it because Wests hold all the cards at the moment, and that’s fine.”

Insiders suggest Wests Tigers would be worth around $20 million, although the Balmain portion would be significantly less.

The Wiggles are believed to be valued at at least $50 million. Field is the majority owner of the children’s supergroup with his personal wealth estimated to be around $20 million.

“I have told Anthony that I would back him 100 per cent if he bought Balmain back,” said Balmain legend, Ben Elias.

And in another throwback, Field would want to strip sponsorship logos from jerseys so clubs could play in a “pure’ football jumper.

“I’d love to get sponsorship off the jumpers so it would be a pure Balmain jumper. It’s absolutely beautiful. In America, they respect the jumper. You could still have sponsors and look after them,” he said.

“And bring the Leagues Club back so we could go somewhere after the games. I live in the past, mate.

“I’m all for the Wests Tigers but, seriously, the community at Leichhardt is all Balmain and if you go to Campbelltown, all the hard-core people are in Wests jumpers and that’s great.

“Leichhardt is still the greatest ground. Part of the charm is it’s run down and it’s exactly like it was (in the past). When I go there, you could be back in the 1990s when ‘Junior’ (Wayne Pearce) was running around. Leichhardt actually means something, like Lidcombe Oval.”

Field explained how and why he became such a passionate Tigers supporter.

“My grandfather (Donald Ritchie) used to walk from his home in Glebe in the late 1960s and early 1970s – and the great year of 1969 when I was six years old – to Leichhardt Oval and I was privileged enough to go to a few of those games with him,” he said.

“My dad (John) and family, when we lived at Lalor Park, were all Parramatta fans so I was kind of forced to wear the Eels jersey for a while – we had no choice. But, as soon as I was old enough to make up my own mind and had free choice I went straight to Balmain.

“Balmain was always everyone’s second team but they became my first team.

“I moved into the area many years ago, living in Drummoyne, and I’m now at Gladesville.

“Actually, when the Wiggles first tasted success there was a house for sale in Mary Street (next to Leichhardt Oval) but I just missed out.

“I would never have upgraded if I got that house, I would have stayed there happy.

“And I remember I took my now-wife (Michaela Patisteas) to a game, she was from Victoria and had no idea about league, one time at Leichhardt Oval. We were watching the Tigers getting absolutely demolished and she had a few drinks and fell backwards off one of the bench seats and I thought: ‘This is the girl I’m going to marry’.”

More Coverage​

Crawley Files: Confused Roosters have a Robbo problemNRL Late Mail: Sea Eagle drops 4.5kg ahead of comebackV’landys unveils cross-code battleplans to counter AFL raid
Field never misses a game.

“If I’m in Sydney and can get to a game, I’m there, mate. And I I’ve got all the apps (when overseas), I can’t miss a game,” he said.”

Isn’t about time we all embrace the JV. I’m filthy with Anthony’s idea
Here we go again.

Like Anthony I was born in Drummoyne and grew up in Gladesville .
One thing I've always wondered is why Harry Trigaboff a major sponsor and one of the richest people in the country who could have bought the Wests Tigers with pocket money didn't consider this . The reason his empire is called Merriton is because his first block of flats built was in Merriton St Gladesville !

Thanks for posting that.
He’s only saying what a lot of people believe.
Tribalism is keeping the game alive and thriving , but it’s also not negotiable.

I think this is just Anthony’s pipe dream. Don’t think he has much chance of winning the Italian lottery. Everyone has their own dream. Can’t ever see it happening. Even if he sold the Wiggles..I don’t think he’d get a lot of support.

Last edited:
Is Wests Tigers a Merger or Joint Venture ? Whatever its interesting to note that the 2 lets say JV's in the NRL are Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra and guess where they both are at the bottom ! Nrl 360 noted last night that its just as hard to manage a team representing Kogarah and Wollongong as it is a team representing Balmain/Ryde and Campbelltown? Dysfunctional families ?

Thanks for posting that.
He’s only saying what a lot of people believe.
Tribalism is keeping the game alive and thriving , but it’s also not negotiable.
I liked the bit about his Glebe/Balmain grandfather and Parra father. Passion is a good thing

Like Anthony I was born in Drummoyne and grew up in Gladesville .
One thing I've always wondered is why Harry Trigaboff a major sponsor and one of the richest people in the country who could have bought the Wests Tigers with pocket money didn't consider this . The reason his empire is called Merriton is because his first block of flats built was in Merriton St Gladesville !
“Ladsville”

I used to be a Balmain supporter and live in inner west and think that is ridiculous and he should shut up. Balmain and the Magpies don't exist and never again will. Wests Tigers all the way.
Same here When new club formed I decided to become a Wests Tigers supporter and only a Wests Tigers supporter and as such ceased to be a Balmain supporter as I believed it necessary to have everyone supporting the one team .
For me its Wests Tigers forever but I'm not sure everyone did this

Back