Any regrets?

crouching_tiger

**Wests want Todd Carney in 2010**

December 13, 2008
\
\
It seems the Wests Tigers are preparing for life after Benji Marshall as they prepare to launch a bid for Todd Carney in 2010 – or possibly sooner, should Carney decide to fight his de-registration from the game.

As the Tigers replace Steve Noyce with Scott Longmuir, the new boss confirmed on Friday that the Wests Tigers had been in touch with Carneys management.

After being deregistered by the NRL mid-way through this year – apparently Carney will fight for a 2009 return if his visa to play in England is blocked.

When sacked, Carney linked with the Huddersfield Giants in the UK Super League – signing a 1 year deal to tie him over until allowed to continue NRL employment in 2010.

But continued problems with his English visa have kept Carney in Australia while Huddersfield began pre-season training on Dec 1st.

Carney’s agent David Riolo confirmed his player would seek to fight to the NRL ban should visa problems persist.

“Our first priority is for Todd to play in Huddersfield, where he has signed next year,” Riolo said.

“But if he doesn’t get his visa, then he can’t work in England. If that were to be the case we’d certainly be willing to go back to the NRL to argue his case for registration in 2009.

“Todd is a professional footballer – this is his career.”

Saddened by the death of his father Daryl in Goulburn on Friday, Carney was unavailable for comment. Riolo confirmed there are several clubs on the hunt for Carney - the Tigers chasing his signature confirms they are looking for alternative options should Benji Marshall leave at the end of 2009.

“There have been initial discussions with the Tigers for 2010 and beyond,” Riolo said.

“(Coach) Tim Sheens has talked about using Benji (Marshall) there, but we’ve got to look at all the options.”

The Tigers are still in the process of trying to re-sign Marshall, who is off-contract at the end of next season and firmly in the sights of cashed-up European rugby clubs.

Longmuir refused to speculate on whether the club could afford to have both playmakers. “It’s too early to comment on that, but we are hoping to have Benji’s future sorted before the start of the season,” he said.

http://www.nrlnews.com/2008/12/13/todd-carney-wests-tigers-huddersfield/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

always rated him
too bad the deal never worked out

I thought we did get him, along with Ruben Wiki?

Oh, my mistake that's what CT told us…

In all seriousness, he would have been a great buy for us at halfback.

We will have Molzten back next year , and within a few years he will be as good as Carney..So personally i will have no regrets then ..
Grass is always greener on the other side.Even though he is a class player he could have had a rubbish year ..
I do have an idea !!! Give him a couple of Drinks and our problem solved for this Saturday.

Carney found what he needed with a dominant half with a great kicking and passing game.

We were asking him to be that player.

He would have been a fine aquisition but there is no guarantees he would have reached the heights he has next to Pearce

Considering we finished 3rd and the Roosters finished 6th I think we did alright.

@Ghostdogg said:
Considering we finished 3rd and the Roosters finished 6th I think we did alright.

Maybe but with Carney we could have finished 1st… I have no doubts Sheens would have parked him at fullback though.

could have
schmood have..
who cares.. we didnt get him
We finished higher then them
and we have a team of players who are still young and firing..

and most of all we will smash the Roorters on saturday

@hybrid_tiger said:
I thought we did get him, along with Ruben Wiki?

Oh, my mistake that's what CT told us…

In all seriousness, he would have been a great buy for us at halfback.

Yeah …i thought it was a done deal too...thanks crouching... :unamused:

As far as missing out well Farah signed for years on the back of a promise of a halfback so not to bad..

Would have carney in a heatbeat...great player...

@smeghead said:
Carney found what he needed with a dominant half with a great kicking and passing game.

He would have been a fine aquisition but there is no guarantees he would have reached the heights he has next to Pearce

x 2 - He will be hard to keep out of the Kangaroos Team ahead of Robbie and Gidley now…

Lets hope he continues his progression next year... Well, not too much!

@smeghead said:

Well said. If we had carney on one side and benji on the other I would be bald after 2 games. I think overall Moltzen is a better fit for the team at half, organiser who can pass and kick take the sensible option.

Carney has played his best football for the cock's when Pearce has been injured….

Carney >>>Lui>>>Injured Moltzen...

@Yossarian said:
@Ghostdogg said:

Maybe but with Carney we could have finished 1st… I have no doubts Sheens would have parked him at fullback though.

And maybe if Moltzen didn't get injured we finish first.

No regrets at all, regrets don't get you anywhere…

@djm619 said:
@Yossarian said:
@Ghostdogg said:

And maybe if Moltzen didn't get injured we finish first.

No regrets at all, regrets don't get you anywhere…

Well he did get injured and Carney played the whole year. In any event I was only answering a hypothetical question whether signing Carney would have been good for the team - our failure to sign him doesn't keep me up at night.

I don't think Carney defends any better than Lui. I was hopeful we would sign him….but in saying that I am pretty happy with where we are at.

Lui's development is on track and he will be a great player in a couple of years, Moltzen may have a fight to get his position back!

another benji albeit his running game is on at the moment where benji is still working on his!

no room for both in the side i feel.. he is a class player though!

Gee I love Carney but don't want to sing his praises ATM. Especially when the Tigers are versing him in <a week.<br="">Maybe we could talk about this when the Roosters get knocked out??</a>

Regrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention.

You can't blame the Wests Tigers for not signing him when he was getting drunk and acting like a lunatic every other week.

Back