Apologise to Madge HERE

Pure maths. When you have packer on 900+ Reynolds 800+ Mbye 900+ brooks 800+ u have to save pennies somewhere, Madge signed poor players on the cheap because he had no cap room to work with. When he cleared some room to go after a genuine star (Mitchell), he didn’t want to play with Cleary’s duds. Madge was between a rock and a hard place with poor cattle.
i tend to agree with this, but also think Madge was an average coach. Not bad, just average. The thing that disappointed me is that we were looking to turn a corner under Madge. Sure, we never looked like being successful this year, but it was he who secured Api and Ipap for next year. I thought with those two coming, plus some quality younger players natural progression, things were looking bright for the future. I guess we will never know if Madge could have continued building and been successful. However, i am no longer looking forward to next season expecting a brighter future.
Also, i think it should be noted, the best we have looked is when Hastings was 13. I remember when he was first signed all the noise from the club was that he was to be the 13 before Douihi was injured. Our attack has been poor but it was Madge that first put forth the attacking structure that did for a short time look good, even if it wasn't Madge that oversaw that short period.

i tend to agree with this, but also think Madge was an average coach. Not bad, just average. The thing that disappointed me is that we were looking to turn a corner under Madge. Sure, we never looked like being successful this year, but it was he who secured Api and Ipap for next year. I thought with those two coming, plus some quality younger players natural progression, things were looking bright for the future. I guess we will never know if Madge could have continued building and been successful. However, i am no longer looking forward to next season expecting a brighter future.
Also, i think it should be noted, the best we have looked is when Hastings was 13. I remember when he was first signed all the noise from the club was that he was to be the 13 before Douihi was injured. Our attack has been poor but it was Madge that first put forth the attacking structure that did for a short time look good, even if it wasn't Madge that oversaw that short period.
I just don’t get why we are stuck in the wilderness. Listening to Fiasco he talks about giving the football department enough ‘resources’

Well mate, we are three rep players (forwards) short of some wins, and every time we sign one we let two go.

Those are the only resources that our coaches need. Make it fkn happen.

Doesn’t change my point. Probably influenced by his lack of wiggle room in the cap and the lack of halfbacks available.
What’s your point - you had a bunch of names that you did Madge didn’t choose or sign - Brooks was one of them…

Which is not correct

What’s your point - you had a bunch of names that you did Madge didn’t choose or sign - Brooks was one of them…

Which is not correct
He had very little room to move cap wise. May have re-signed Brooks because halves don’t grow on trees and you need a good one. Point remains the same.

Reactions: BZN
Madge is past history now it’s time to move on , we have a heap of players look like getting moved on or are leaving , onwards and up , Sheens just may be the key to setting us up for the next 5 years , he’s an old fox like Gould , anything can happen

I thought we were looking to turn a corner,
come end of 2021.

Instead, nearly every game I watched it was "wow our defense is butter soft". Then there were one or two games where Hastings seemed to shine and we just scraped a win.
Then,,,, Groundhog day.

I don't blame Kimmorley being unable to deal with this mess. IMHO this would be the worst coaching job in the NRL. I blame Madge for not coaching the side and building it right and I blame Sheens for pulling the trigger at a stupid time (maybe to go for Ciraldo, maybe not. ) Madge had to go, no Sheens we don't pull the trigger until we get a better coach in.

Pure maths. When you have packer on 900+ Reynolds 800+ Mbye 900+ brooks 800+ u have to save pennies somewhere, Madge signed poor players on the cheap because he had no cap room to work with. When he cleared some room to go after a genuine star (Mitchell), he didn’t want to play with Cleary’s duds. Madge was between a rock and a hard place with poor cattle.

sure I would hear that in 2020.
2021 Madge picked Roberts and BJ. While coaches take risks on players and he clearly wanted Mitchell, Madge owns that decision.
In fact it was kind of the right one. As both Roberts and BJ were meant to be good defenders and I was imaginging that Madge was securing our Backline.

That cost us Paul Momo who appears to be a better center then both BJ and Roberts!

Then 2022 we see Madge pick Gildart. Huh? lightweight and cannot defend. Were still leaking at the backline and we have no answer.

Madge did not have a plan, every game was groundhog day. How I wish we hired Anthony Griffin instead. (ofcourse would have loved WB, but Souths got him).

I thought we were looking to turn a corner,
come end of 2021.

Instead, nearly every game I watched it was "wow our defense is butter soft". Then there were one or two games where Hastings seemed to shine and we just scraped a win.
Then,,,, Groundhog day.

I don't blame Kimmorley being unable to deal with this mess. IMHO this would be the worst coaching job in the NRL. I blame Madge for not coaching the side and building it right and I blame Sheens for pulling the trigger at a stupid time (maybe to go for Ciraldo, maybe not. ) Madge had to go, no Sheens we don't pull the trigger until we get a better coach in.
What made you think we were on the way up after 2021? Agree cant blame Kimmorley and this would be the worst coaching gig in the NRL.
sure I would hear that in 2020.
2021 Madge picked Roberts and BJ. While coaches take risks on players and he clearly wanted Mitchell, Madge owns that decision.
In fact it was kind of the right one. As both Roberts and BJ were meant to be good defenders and I was imaginging that Madge was securing our Backline.

That cost us Paul Momo who appears to be a better center then both BJ and Roberts!

Then 2022 we see Madge pick Gildart. Huh? lightweight and cannot defend. Were still leaking at the backline and we have no answer.

Madge did not have a plan, every game was groundhog day. How I wish we hired Anthony Griffin instead. (ofcourse would have loved WB, but Souths got him).
Strongly disagree that either Roberts or Leilua were known as good defenders. In fact in my opinion they have been known as having defensive issues their whole career. Additionally, i question if Madge picked them because they are who he wanted or if he picked them because they were the only options available to us. Clearly difficulty with recruiting has been a problem before and after Madge. Momo might (just) be a better centre than them but it was the need for a fullback that cost us him.

Perhaps Madge did have to go, or perhaps he was about to achieve change we will never know and neither of us can be proven right or wrong. Happy to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't have fired Madge, I thought it was the wrong decision.

In saying that though, he had close to 4 unsuccessful years here. Every coach should know how to handle the club politics and looks like he couldn't handle it. In terms of coaching ability alone, it was a 50/50 with individual players going backwards and some improving. As a team, we just did not click. It was all about individuals.

What made you think we were on the way up after 2021? Agree cant blame Kimmorley and this would be the worst coaching gig in the NRL.

Strongly disagree that either Roberts or Leilua were known as good defenders. In fact in my opinion they have been known as having defensive issues their whole career. Additionally, i question if Madge picked them because they are who he wanted or if he picked them because they were the only options available to us. Clearly difficulty with recruiting has been a problem before and after Madge. Momo might (just) be a better centre than them but it was the need for a fullback that cost us him.

Perhaps Madge did have to go, or perhaps he was about to achieve change we will never know and neither of us can be proven right or wrong. Happy to agree to disagree.
I thought we were on the way up because:
1. we had lost the Mbye/Reynolds/Packer cap weights holding us down.
2. We signed Hastings and Nathan Cayless. Ok I was kinda dreaming and I thought Hastings would fizzle, instead he has been one of our best signings.
3. Whatever Madge had been building too, this should have been the year where he had the players he wanted and enough time to impart structure and tactics. We were 100% worse this year then last. Our defense and attack went backwards.

Roberts and Leilua in fairness are two different players:
Roberts defense improved a lot at souths. He made SOO and was seen as a good defender with speed. He lost that speed and his defense dropped here.

Leilua was there to give us Bulk. One thing I thought Madge was trying to do with Both Leilua's was to bulk the side up. You do need bulk to defend and to have impact on the line. This is what they provided. BJ however clearly did not get along with the coach and did not form a defensive line with his winger. My view is that Madge should have coached BJ to his strengths and moved him into Lock, a position where his impact and ball playing skills would have been better, we then drop Paul Momo into Center with Roberts... but hey we never tried that.

My biggest problem is Daine Laurie is a good fullback, but not a GUN. I love the guy and hope he can stay with our club. Yet I cannot see us being able to keep that prime fullback spot for him when a Mitchell, Kalyn or Tommy Turbo comes on the market. Paul momo long term would have been a great club center and help solve our defensive problems there. Madge instead punts him and the opportunity to bring in the Melbourne culture to our squad.

Interesting now that Sheens has responsibility (not Madge) he is highlighting the injury issue that has held the club back this year 🤔 so was it Madge’s coaching or the injuries.

Interesting now that Sheens has responsibility (not Madge) he is highlighting the injury issue that has held the club back this year 🤔 so was it Madge’s coaching or the injuries.

Well the injury crisis has gotten alot worse since Madge left.

Convenient isn’t it?
Sheens is a wily old bugga. He’ll have excuses for everything until he rides off into the sunset

Not like the Tigers to move the goalposts to keep their jobs 😂

Latest posts

Members online

Back