Balmain Leagues Club Receivership

Interesting to see Mr Mayer back handed comments about memberships

Maybe look at it another way Mr Mayer , that the reason casual fans aren't becoming members is what they see time and time again , and this is another good example

@innsaneink said:
Yes Happy. ..The Fairweather fan always have plenty of excuses. ..This is just another example

I'm hardly a fairweather fan Ink

I supported Wests through thick and thin for 24 years whilst living 1000kms away and barely ever seeing games on TV let alone in the flesh

I could of easily switched to the Broncos knowing half the juniors they had coming through the system

I was never a big fan of Balmain , but I respected their non nonsense football

@happy tiger said:
@innsaneink said:
Yes Happy. ..The Fairweather fan always have plenty of excuses. ..This is just another example

I supported Wests through thick and thin for 24 years whilst living 1000kms away and barely ever seeing games on TV let alone in the flesh

I could of easily switched to the Broncos knowing half the juniors they had coming through the system

He's not talking about you Happy, he's talking about the supporters who don't sign up as members.

If a reported threat to the club is grounds for continuing to avoid being a member, then one can't complain if the club goes belly up. It's in dire times that one identifies the truly committed supporters.

Speaking of signing up as members, whoever is looking after the running of memberships at the club needs to sort the crap out.

It took me 3 weeks trying to renew my membership this year, eventually got it done but it was a damn hassle, the sign-up / renew page on the website would not work for 2 weeks, I made several phone calls which were not answered or returned and even sent an email regarding it and was never replied to…

If I wasn't such a die hard supporter of the club I would have just said ok screw it, you obviously don't want my membership too badly and not bothered pursuing it.

@Tiger Watto said:
@Citizen Tiger said:
Some years ago there was an opportunity to buy the former APIA site for $5mill. A site, that once re developed, would have provided not just great commercial potential, but one that might have consolidated a connection with a rapidly changing community. The Leagues Club on the water, adjacent to Leichhardt Oval and in a position to build a relationship with a significantly upgraded Aquatic Centre. Consider the Bay Walk's proximity and you have a fantastic entertainment/activity precinct. Longer term there may have been a case for a River Cat service. Alas, the proposal did not get off the gound

I've heard this story a few times, but I'm not convinced it would be the mirage it potentially looks like.

While it is visually on a high traffic corridor, access is somewhat limited and negates its potential. Obviously it would be well patroned by locals and game day patrons, but the real traffic will come from a greater distance. Convenient access is vital!

Interesting scenario though considering they knocked it back… I've never been to the club at Five Dock or the Markets. What are the challenges out in these 2 locations?

Main problem with both temporary clubs is in my opinion their location. The Markets is a long way from Balmain. It is not in a busy residential area. As some one that grew up in Balmain and now live in South Western Sydney you don't realise that going to a club means driving which means not drinking and forward planning. In Balmain you could walk to about 5-10 drinking places easily and the leagues club was often reached on a Friday and Saturday night as it was open later than most places.

Five dock from what I remember is a small ex bowling club and again well away from the heart of Balmain.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

This was on the Balmain Tigers website. It just makes me angry. Leichhardt council really screwed us. And the state government didn't help with the light rail fiasco.

The Planning Process

BALMAIN LEAGUES CLUB TIGERS (Tigers Balmain)
DEVELOPMENT
CHRONOLOGY of EVENTS

September, 2004
Balmain Leagues Club commences discussion with Leichhardt Council regarding the possibility of a redevelopment for the Balmain Leagues Club site on Victoria Road, Rozelle.Town Planners at Leichhardt Council raise the possibility of the development including a retail (supermarket) component for reason that the area is badly under serviced for supermarkets and the site would be ideal for a supermarket location because of its connection to the high street (Darling Street, Rozelle) shopping precinct.Council suggests that consideration be given to acquiring sites on Darling Street, Rozelle and also adjoining sites on Victoria Road, consolidating all of the properties, and then lodging an application for Masterplan approval to rezone the site.

September, 2005
Acting on the suggestion made by the town planners at Leichhardl Council, Balmain Leagues Club acquires Byers Meats on the corner of Darling Street and Waterloo Street, Rozelle for $4,250,000.00.Acting on the same advice, Baimain Leagues Club acquires the adjoining property on Victoria Road, Rozelle, owned by Balmain Engineering and settles the transaction in July, 2006\. The purchase price was $3, I 00,000.00.

December, 2005
New South Wales Government releases its Sydney Metropolitan Strategy which provided key objectives including locating housing in close proximity to employment and public transport.

2 November, 2005
Masterplan application lodged by Balmain Leagues Club with Leichhardt Council

December, 2005
Council meeting considers report on Masterplan application and defers application for reports, exhibition process etc.

February, 2006
Council meeting considers report on Masterplan application and defers consideration

August, 2006
Council meeting considers report on Masterplan application and defers consideration

September, 2006

March, 2007

May, 2007

March, 2008

June, 2008
Council recommends approval of Masterplan application

August, 2008
Minister for Planning gazettes Masterplan

February, 2009
Sydney Metro announced – they proposed to use Balmain Leagues Club site

27 May, 2009
Minister for Transport announces that Sydney Metro was to make temporary use of Balmain Leagues Club as a construction site to build Rozelle Station

30 October, 2009
Sydney Metro Board resolves to acquire a construction site lease over the Balmain Leagues Club property from 1 April, 2010 – resolves to give notice to vacate

1 February, 2010
Wait Secord, Chief of Staff, Office of Premier confirms that plans for Sydney Metro would still be proceeding
February, 2010 Arrangements made for closure of club and vacation of site

July, 2010
Joint Regional Planning Panel rejects development application after Leichhardt Council Planning Department recommends rejection of applicationDevelopment partners request return of $750,000.00 bond for development application from Leichhardt Council. Leichhardt Council refuse to return bond

November 2010
Leichhardt Council resolved not to return bond amount until the right of appeal against the refusal of the developmentapplication had expired (that is, July, 2011)

June, 2011
Not withstanding November, 2010 resolution, Council resolves not to return the $750,000 bond whilst there is any possible application relating to the properly under Part 3A

June, 2008
Council resolves not to have any site specific controls for Balmain Leagues Club under their new LEP. Decision made without any notice to stakeholders and without any reports being prepared other than an internal briefing memo to Councillors. It took four years, eight Council meetings, massive numbers of expert reports and millions of dollars for the Council to approve the Masterplan. It took them one meeting, no reports, no consultation and not notice to any stakeholder to take it away.The practical effect of the new recommended LEP is that under the LEP, there can be no development of the Leagues club site of any real significance (couldn’t even have a Leagues Club there of the same size as presently exists)They have also retained the bond even though on their new recommended LEP there can be no development of the site that the bond could apply to.

@thylacine said:
This was on the Balmain Tigers website. It just makes me angry. Leichhardt council really screwed us. And the state government didn't help with the light rail fiasco.

The Planning Process

BALMAIN LEAGUES CLUB TIGERS (Tigers Balmain)
DEVELOPMENT
CHRONOLOGY of EVENTS

September, 2004
Balmain Leagues Club commences discussion with Leichhardt Council regarding the possibility of a redevelopment for the Balmain Leagues Club site on Victoria Road, Rozelle.Town Planners at Leichhardt Council raise the possibility of the development including a retail (supermarket) component for reason that the area is badly under serviced for supermarkets and the site would be ideal for a supermarket location because of its connection to the high street (Darling Street, Rozelle) shopping precinct.Council suggests that consideration be given to acquiring sites on Darling Street, Rozelle and also adjoining sites on Victoria Road, consolidating all of the properties, and then lodging an application for Masterplan approval to rezone the site.

September, 2005
Acting on the suggestion made by the town planners at Leichhardl Council, Balmain Leagues Club acquires Byers Meats on the corner of Darling Street and Waterloo Street, Rozelle for $4,250,000.00.Acting on the same advice, Baimain Leagues Club acquires the adjoining property on Victoria Road, Rozelle, owned by Balmain Engineering and settles the transaction in July, 2006\. The purchase price was $3, I 00,000.00.

December, 2005
New South Wales Government releases its Sydney Metropolitan Strategy which provided key objectives including locating housing in close proximity to employment and public transport.

2 November, 2005
Masterplan application lodged by Balmain Leagues Club with Leichhardt Council

December, 2005
Council meeting considers report on Masterplan application and defers application for reports, exhibition process etc.

February, 2006

August, 2006

September, 2006

March, 2007

May, 2007

March, 2008

June, 2008
Council recommends approval of Masterplan application

August, 2008
Minister for Planning gazettes Masterplan

February, 2009
Sydney Metro announced – they proposed to use Balmain Leagues Club site

27 May, 2009
Minister for Transport announces that Sydney Metro was to make temporary use of Balmain Leagues Club as a construction site to build Rozelle Station

30 October, 2009
Sydney Metro Board resolves to acquire a construction site lease over the Balmain Leagues Club property from 1 April, 2010 – resolves to give notice to vacate

1 February, 2010
Wait Secord, Chief of Staff, Office of Premier confirms that plans for Sydney Metro would still be proceeding
February, 2010 Arrangements made for closure of club and vacation of site

July, 2010
Joint Regional Planning Panel rejects development application after Leichhardt Council Planning Department recommends rejection of applicationDevelopment partners request return of $750,000.00 bond for development application from Leichhardt Council. Leichhardt Council refuse to return bond

November 2010
Leichhardt Council resolved not to return bond amount until the right of appeal against the refusal of the developmentapplication had expired (that is, July, 2011)

June, 2011
Not withstanding November, 2010 resolution, Council resolves not to return the $750,000 bond whilst there is any possible application relating to the properly under Part 3A

June, 2008
Council resolves not to have any site specific controls for Balmain Leagues Club under their new LEP. Decision made without any notice to stakeholders and without any reports being prepared other than an internal briefing memo to Councillors. It took four years, eight Council meetings, massive numbers of expert reports and millions of dollars for the Council to approve the Masterplan. It took them one meeting, no reports, no consultation and not notice to any stakeholder to take it away.The practical effect of the new recommended LEP is that under the LEP, there can be no development of the Leagues club site of any real significance (couldn’t even have a Leagues Club there of the same size as presently exists)They have also retained the bond even though on their new recommended LEP there can be no development of the site that the bond could apply to.

Sad day in rugby league

Balmain might be gone but the team will survive. As much as I'd love it see it, I will never see the Pies again.

so going by that timeline of events with the development proposal through the council it seems they wasted all that time sipping herbal teas and rejecting everything put forward to them and in the end theyve kept the $750k bond?!?! i'm not proficient in the world of property develping but is the council allowed to keep that money if its not going ahead?

plus, it looks like the site will never be used for anything now. where is the logic in this?

where is barry and harry now….

I wonder whether the Rozelle Village developers will walk away from the site at some point in light of the continuing development rejections by NSW Govt. It must be costing them a fortune with each new rejection.

At some point the cost must start to outweigh the potential profit benefits.

Would be nice if a new organisation with half a clue took over the site (ahem, Meriton) and made it work. C'mon Harry, make 'em an offer they can't refuse!

Mayer tweeted yesterday that Balmain Leagues (the company) is fully owned by BDRLFC… I understand that even if Rozelle was built, Balmain Leagues would just be a rent paying tenant.

Told you WT is here to stay and here to stay in Sydney:

Wests Ashfield CEO Simon Cook says Tigers name won't be replaced by Magpies
March 19, 2014 - 11:36PM

No love lost: Balmain and Wests do battle in the 90s. Photo: Dallas Kilponen
Share Adjust font size Read Later
By DANIEL LANE
Ultimate League: It's not too late to sign up for our Fantasy NRL game
Wests Ashfield chief executive Simon Cook has guaranteed that regardless of the besieged Balmain Leagues club's future - or possible lack of one - there will be no attempt by his organisation to change the Wests Tigers name to the Magpies. He also scotched speculation the NRL team would relocate to Perth.

The Balmain Tigers face liquidation after Rozelle Village, the property development company that lent the Balmain Leagues club $8 million as part of a deal to redevelop their Victoria Road site into a shopping mall and high-rise residential apartment towers, took action in the NSW Supreme Court to recoup their cash.

Advertisement
\
\
No return for the Magpies: club legend Les Boyd. Photo: Fairfax Library
There were suggestions that in the event of Balmain's demise Wests Ashfield, as the only financially viable partner in the merged NRL team, would take control of the franchise and - after years of boardroom squabbling and sniping with their Balmain partners - change the colours to their traditional black and white and revert to the Wests Magpies logo and name.

The future of Leichhardt Oval - Balmain's spiritual home ground - was also believed to be under threat.

"The name and logo of the entity has formed part of our licensing agreement with the NRL," Cook said on Wednesday. "Therefore, any changes in shareholding will have no impact on the name, colour or logos of the organisation.
\
\
Wests Ashfield CEO Simon Cook Photo: Supplied
"That's fact. It's a condition of our NRL licence."

Cook stressed that, as was the case with Campbelltown, games at Leichhardt would remain part of the Wests Tigers "forseeable" future.

But he said that while the restructure of the Wests Tigers board was underway, he was reluctant to talk about issues that would be decided by a new board. The NRL has contributed $4 million to cover Balmain's financial responsibility towards the franchise on the condition three independent directors be assigned to the board.
\
\
Wests Ashfield CEO Simon Cook. Photo: Supplied
Cook refuted reports that the Wests Tigers would relocate interstate as a result of the Balmain Leagues club dramas.

"An absolute furphy," he said. "It won't happen. Get a quote off the NRL on that but there is no way Wests Ashfield will allow for the Wests Tigers to relocate to anywhere outside of Sydney."

Cook said Balmain's woes would not affect the future of the Wests Tigers.

"Balmain, or Wests [Ashfield] for that matter, are not contracted to the NRL - Wests Tigers are," Cook said. "What Balmain do has no impact on the NRL licence.

"The NRL licence is between the NRL and the Wests Tigers and not the shareholders. The shareholders are not connected to the licence. From Wests Ashfield perspective it will have no impact on the Wests Tigers."

Wests Ashfield had the money needed to sign their cheques. After paying $1.1 million to the Wests Tigers, the club was left with a $3.5 million profit in the past financial year. The club was also in the throes of a $16 million project to extend its underground parking at its Liverpool Road site.

Fairfax Media understands that even if the Balmain Leagues Club does not exist it would not necessarily mean the end of the 106-year-old Balmain Tigers football team. The Tigers would remain eligible to compete in a NSWRL-run competition so long as they could find the means - via sponsorship or forming an alliance with another licensed club - to fund the teams.

@Gary Bakerloo said:
We'll be right. Take a step back to 1999…...this exact scenario is WHY we merged.

Remember Balmain football club members being told "better to have 50% of something than 100% of nothing"!!! Here we are, thanks to our board members, Leichhardt council including " save the tigers Darcy" and Ben Elias and his mates for taking the 50% away!!!

I believe that it is even money that Cronulla Sharks will relocate to Perth. There is no chance of West Tigers relocating.

@happy tiger said:
@innsaneink said:

Sorry happy…didn't mean u personally. ..jirskyr got my drift

@tottie said:
@Gary Bakerloo said:
We'll be right. Take a step back to 1999…...this exact scenario is WHY we merged.

Remember Balmain football club members being told "better to have 50% of something than 100% of nothing"!!! Here we are, thanks to our board members, Leichhardt council including " save the tigers Darcy" and Ben Elias and his mates for taking the 50% away!!!

You will still have wests tigers to tie. ..fear not

@Abraham said:
I wonder whether the Rozelle Village developers will walk away from the site at some point in light of the continuing development rejections by NSW Govt. It must be costing them a fortune with each new rejection.

At some point the cost must start to outweigh the potential profit benefits.

Would be nice if a new organisation with half a clue took over the site (ahem, Meriton) and made it work. C'mon Harry, make 'em an offer they can't refuse!

Yeah,lots of questions,but the latest development application put fwd is ridiculous,its almost at the stage where it seems they want it to be rejected.

Back