Benji Marshall begins life as Wests Tigers coach as the joint venture searches for something to believe in

Highlights the fact he has zero idea what to talk about and more to that, has zero positives at all to talk about. They are paid pro athletes thats their bloody job to show up with 110% effort as their baseline.

Benji is cooked. Richo doesnt give 2 shits about a guy living off 1 flick pass in 2005 and has no emotional ties to Benji being a good ol'boy. The guy will be flicked very soon. Benji will come out and say he is resigning not being fired to save face for the club. Writing is well and truly on the wall.
IMO.Richo isnt in UK searching for players..as that can be easily done from here,like it always has been
Think hes searching for a coach actually..from as early as 2025
Its increasingly transparent that Benji and his band of 05 buddies are not improving this team.
Its what u get after 3 bottles of wine (each)at grappa and yr coaching strategy written on the back of a beer coaster..bizarre under any circumstances,any wholly unprofessional
Benji has indeed attracted a couple of names,but if we continue to lose every week that will change fast..it already is with IP and maybe Stef wanting out
I hope Richo is as frustrated as we all are, and will call it out for what it is sooner rather than later
Hang on to your seatbelts!

Great players dont always make great coaches. Sterlo was famous for saying that.

Benji was a 33% player. For every great game with a lucky bullshit flick pass that stole a victory he had 2 stinkers where he would kick or pass over the sideline and stuff up opportunity after opportunity. But he did win games every now and then and he did have a team stacked with much more talent then the Tigers put on the park each week now.

Benji was never coached, Sheens is on record saying so, he was always allowed to play heads up footy and if they 'practiced' stuff at training Sheens would let them try it on game day. Because Benji has Uncle Wayne on speed dial and was raised by Sheens doesnt make him a coach.

Year 1 rookie coach with no grounding as an assistant with the worst roster in the NRL. Benji is there and deserves a chance to succeed. He will be given next year to impress if we struggle his days will be numbered as they should be.

We have a lot of delusional fans we are bad with some good kids coming through and a big junior base. The plan is obvious however Madge, Sheens failed badly the coach is the smallest part of the problem.

Highlights the fact he has zero idea what to talk about and more to that, has zero positives at all to talk about. They are paid pro athletes thats their bloody job to show up with 110% effort as their baseline.
That's not how it works.
Maybe in the forwards, it works a little like that, tackle harder, train and be stronger.

In the backs, we need people aware and focused. People who are thinking Position, and thinking about what's going to happen, not what's happening.

Case in point, Wayne Gretzky. Often the smallest player on a hockey field. He said he never watched where the puck was, he moved too where the puck was going to be.

Ofcourse our training needs to increase in intensity and we need people who can solidly tackle. Our energy is down. Madge tried flogging the squad hard at training, it did not work.

Instead we need to think more Adious Huxley style. Create hard training environments that players enjoy.
Benji is cooked. Richo doesnt give 2 shits about a guy living off 1 flick pass in 2005 and has no emotional ties to Benji being a good ol'boy. The guy will be flicked very soon. Benji will come out and say he is resigning not being fired to save face for the club. Writing is well and truly on the wall.
Yep Benji is gone. However I hope the board is skillful with getting rid of him. New Zealand need a coach and I would like to convince Benji that he could coach NZ for a year or two then come back.

Brad Arthur is the man we should target, Else lock up John Morris.

Year 1 rookie coach with no grounding as an assistant with the worst roster in the NRL. Benji is there and deserves a chance to succeed. He will be given next year to impress if we struggle his days will be numbered as they should be.

We have a lot of delusional fans we are bad with some good kids coming through and a big junior base. The plan is obvious however Madge, Sheens failed badly the coach is the smallest part of the problem.
Impossible to measure him as a coach with this roster - the disadvantage is blatant before a ball is thrown. This is not a job for the feint hearted.

Reactions: BZN
Impossible to measure him as a coach with this roster - the disadvantage is blatant before a ball is thrown. This is not a job for the feint hearted.
That's a fair call, but he knew he what sort of roster he was getting and he knew he had no experience. He will be measured on his results.

That's a fair call, but he knew he what sort of roster he was getting and he knew he had no experience. He will be measured on his results.
The clubs results rely on more than just the coach. And as they say players make or break coaches -:hence why the takers for this position was limited. I thought we learned after sacking the last experienced coach that failed that we have more to fix than the coach before we turn.things around.

The clubs results rely on more than just the coach. And as they say players make or break coaches -:hence why the takers for this position was limited. I thought we learned after sacking the last experienced coach that failed that we have more to fix than the coach before we turn.things around.
There so much for Richardson to fix, I agree. I think the coaching is part of that though. It was a horrendous appointment and the sooner they rectify it the better.
Interesting to see what happens.

“It is crucial that we are patient, and we stick to a plan” is what Richo said only 2 weeks ago. Luai & Turuva are coming to play under Benji & have both openly spoken about how Benji was key in them signing for us. Benji will be given at least till mid next season to prove himself however one thing is for sure… we need to flick Robbie & Heighno ASAP & appoint better options. JD anyone? Benji would’ve worked under him at Souths so there’d be a relationship there.

IMO.Richo isnt in UK searching for players..as that can be easily done from here,like it always has been
Think hes searching for a coach actually..from as early as 2025
Its increasingly transparent that Benji and his band of 05 buddies are not improving this team.
Its what u get after 3 bottles of wine (each)at grappa and yr coaching strategy written on the back of a beer coaster..bizarre under any circumstances,any wholly unprofessional
Benji has indeed attracted a couple of names,but if we continue to lose every week that will change fast..it already is with IP and maybe Stef wanting out
I hope Richo is as frustrated as we all are, and will call it out for what it is sooner rather than later
Hang on to your seatbelts!
This is his first coaching experience and he starts at first grade level. He would have been much better off beginning his coaching experience at least two years experience in lower grades. Now he is lumbered with climbing a mountain.

Half the team is missing through injury or suspension. Our depth is barely reserve grade standard let alone NRL standard.

We have 2 ageing forwards and 1 that doesn't look that interested.

Looks like some of this will be solved between now and the off season.

2025 there are very little excuses provided we can pick up some forwards and 1 decent winger.

That's not how it works.
Maybe in the forwards, it works a little like that, tackle harder, train and be stronger.

In the backs, we need people aware and focused. People who are thinking Position, and thinking about what's going to happen, not what's happening.

Case in point, Wayne Gretzky. Often the smallest player on a hockey field. He said he never watched where the puck was, he moved too where the puck was going to be.

Ofcourse our training needs to increase in intensity and we need people who can solidly tackle. Our energy is down. Madge tried flogging the squad hard at training, it did not work.

Instead we need to think more Adious Huxley style. Create hard training environments that players enjoy.

Yep Benji is gone. However I hope the board is skillful with getting rid of him. New Zealand need a coach and I would like to convince Benji that he could coach NZ for a year or two then come back.

Brad Arthur is the man we should target, Else lock up John Morris.
I am all for locking up Morris if Benji is struggling

Why are people so convinced that Farah will do a good job in the office
Exactly!!! Some fans have this assumption that anyone involved with the 2005 success is owed a living by the club.
We have to break the chain and start from scratch to rebuild this club in a professional way.
The idea that a crew of old boys who had one great year will lead us to glory, despite never showing any strategic mindset, is laughable. If it comes off, great, but it will be just as improbable as our premiership was.

“It is crucial that we are patient, and we stick to a plan” is what Richo said only 2 weeks ago. Luai & Turuva are coming to play under Benji & have both openly spoken about how Benji was key in them signing for us. Benji will be given at least till mid next season to prove himself however one thing is for sure… we need to flick Robbie & Heighno ASAP & appoint better options. JD anyone? Benji would’ve worked under him at Souths so there’d be a relationship there.

I agree Benji needs to be surrounded by some more quality and experience, call him the head coach by all means but he needs the help and he needs to allow people to help. I don't know one way or the other if he's taking advice from more experienced coaches around him he knows but unless they are on the ground in the grind its hard to assess.

Exactly!!! Some fans have this assumption that anyone involved with the 2005 success is owed a living by the club.
We have to break the chain and start from scratch to rebuild this club in a professional way.
The idea that a crew of old boys who had one great year will lead us to glory, despite never showing any strategic mindset, is laughable. If it comes off, great, but it will be just as improbable as our premiership was.
Successful clubs gave up the concept you had to have played for the club decades ago.
I still hope I'm totally wrong but there I have always felt that there was never going to be Camelot with King Arthur Sheens and Sir Lancelot Marshall.
God I hope I'm wrong.

The way he was carrying on, you’d think JL would have a coaching clause. I hope not, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

I think Benji is safe well into next year.

As the loss’s mount, so will the excuses and the clubs need to sell us more hope.

I imagine all this is quite comforting for Lee and Co.

I agree that the way out for Benji is a face saver or the “family reasons”.

The exit strategy has to be thought through properly.

He does strike me as a guy who won’t step aside willingly.

Benji funder doesn’t know Richo as well as he knows Benji Richo might have to have another “if you love the club” moment.

Heads up @Tucker has some insider on the Benji life support system.

Back