Benji's conversions (or lack of...)

Scotto

Watching Benji attempt conversions has been bothering me all season, rocks and diamonds. Fair enough a sideline conversion is a tough one but his technique looks lazy, kind of like he is just swinging his leg at it and the ball pretty much ends up anywhere.

What do YOU reckon?

yeah, he still needs plenty of work in the goal kicking department to be consistent. im not saying he isnt a good goal kicker but these days a certain percentage of goal kicks and conversions from relatively difficult positions need to go over by todays standards and benji has unfortunately cost us a few games this year because of this.

@glebe_tiger said:
yeah, he still needs plenty of work in the goal kicking department to be consistent. im not saying he isnt a good goal kicker but **these days a certain percentage of goal kicks and conversions from relatively difficult positions need to go over by todays standards and benji has unfortunately cost us a few games this year because of this**.

Yes!
Unfortunately another recruitment failure.

besides elmasri and gordon i thuink you will struggle to find any other FG goal kicker that has a better then 50% success rate from the sideline

I would love to see the goal kicking taken off Benji so that he can focus on his role in the team which is to run them around the park and score try's. By being the kicker he has to focus on that after they score a try instead of walking back with Farah and the boys discussing where they see things opening up and planning their next raid.

And let's face it there must be other kickers in the club that can kick at as low a conversion rate as Benji currently is.

Does anyone else need the Wiltshire while you're all at it?

Some people are never satisfied…..

Ridiculous…...all of his kicks were from the sodeline and they nearly all went through the posts.

I know it sucks he only kicked one,but FMD surely this isnt an issue.

put it this way if he kicked them the flukemater would have got that fluke try in the last few minutes and it would have felt alot worse

Did anyone else notice that on two of his conversions the Parramatta trainer ran in front of him as he was at his mark?

It was a deliberate attempt to put him off. Not sure why they bother he misses most of them anyway…..

Seriously though there is only two things wrong with Marshalls kicking. His long kicks are too short and his short kicks are too long. He should tell himself he is doing a chip kick when he kicks for touch to maximise distance.

We score a lot of tries out wide which doesnt help his percentage, but it does make his kicking more important and a higher priority.

If I were the Tigers I would be getting Halligan in, look at what he has done with Michael Gordon.

OR Maybe bring El Masri in after he retires, or bring back Graham Arnold like when he helped Hodgo

What about next year any new players coming in that can convert?!

I think the goal-kicking has added responsibility to his game and improved him as a player. In saying that he has plenty of room to improve as a goal-kicker and bringing in someone like Halligan or El Masri next season deffinately couldn't hurt.

@anderson silva said:
besides elmasri and gordon i thuink you will struggle to find any other FG goal kicker that has a better then 50% success rate from the sideline

What about Thurston or Smith, they'd have to be up there.

@stryker said:
@anderson silva said:

What about Thurston or Smith, they'd have to be up there.

Smith kicked a cracker from the sideline today with a strong wind. El Masri style. Incredible to watch.

Benji can kick em from the sideline but then miss an easier one from 10-15m in. He'll be better next year.

i think el masri must be acquired throughout the off season or during the next season. the amount of times the dogs have won off his boot it unbelievable. he has single handedly won them more games than any other player has won for their club. we lose too many close games coz of our conversions.
i like the idea of giving someone else the duties so benji n robbie n co can plan the next set while the kick is being taken. im sure the club has more than 1 kicker.
i notice sometimes that benji rushed his kicks. other kickers take a bit more time. Inu frustrated the hell out of me wasting 2 mins a kick, 10mins over-all but if that was benji kicking, i dont care if he took 10mins a kick as long as he converts it.
had we converted all our kicks we prob would not have lost, esp the first 2\. 12-0 up is way diff to 8-0.

well to be honest ….theres heaps less pressure when your lining up from the sideline.... the ones in close are the more pressure kicks because you are expected to kick them .....

i dont think marshalls goal kicking is bad actually. sure, his numbers are not good, but the percentage of kicks he has to take from the sideline is unprecedented! and if you look at them, sure on friday night he didnt get the hang of the wind effect, but a great majority of the time they come off the boot pretty well and he doesnt miss by much.

very rarely do you see a shocker come from a conversion attempt from him and it is only the top echelon of kickers (and union players who seem to have always been better?!) who can regularly convert from there.

thats right: i actually backed benji up! put this one straight in the pool room…. ; )

I was next in line waiting to get Benji's autograph on Sunday and a guy walked past yelling Bend it like Benji. He gave him a smile then said to himself that if he had of bent them on Friday night we might have won.

I felt sorry for him as I don't blame him for missing them and he was obviously cut up about it. They were all from the sideline and he has so much pressure on him as it is.

I wouldn't mind if they took the duties off him but he must like the responsibility.

Latest posts

Back