BJ Leilua

BJ whilst here has to be in the team as he’s easily our best centre. His inconsistency is a big issue and I can’t see him being extended unless 1 year at a time on a cheap deal. His involvement was big constantly congratulating players and firing up the team. When he has his head in the game he’s a powerhouse.

@tyga said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352966) said:
BJ whilst here has to be in the team as he’s easily our best centre. His inconsistency is a big issue and I can’t see him being extended unless 1 year at a time on a cheap deal. His involvement was big constantly congratulating players and firing up the team. When he has his head in the game he’s a powerhouse.

Agreed. He got the bad sperm. It’s only
1 in 8 games when his turns his brain on 😀

@cairnstigers said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352916) said:
@gallagher said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352890) said:
@tiger8 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352889) said:
@gallagher said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352883) said:
@tiger8 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352836) said:
Sucked apart from flopping over the line. Still his best game for us. I hope he can keep his spot. He has so much potential when he is actually committed. Oporto is his top priority though ...

Flopped over the line? At least be fair

Tripped or skipped? He did lay a lazy palm but he was over without effort

He brushed off Bird. He looked good today

It was Laurie who straightened up his line of attack and that caused Bird to hold which in turn created room for Bj to run around the outside of Bird
If Laurie continues to Slide I don't think we score

absolutely correct. Laurie shows how to bend in to the line and leave the defence in doubt, before sliding back around.

@tiger8 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352976) said:

1 in 8 games when his turns his brain on ?

?

@truetiger said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352919) said:
For al the BJ haters why dont you stop and think that maybe he needed a wake up call and got it by Madge..
The other thing most didnt notice is how BJ,Mbye Joe O and Tamou got around the young players and especially Cini to show support and courage to them...
the younger players played with far more intensity and confidence this week than prior...
Let Madge do his work in the next couple of years and watch this team play finals on more than one occasion...

Madge stopped just short of calling BJ unfit in the press conference

@jedi_tiger said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352903) said:
@tiger5150 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352827) said:
@tcat said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352794) said:
Least impacting centre in the game.

Did you watch Talau?

I think Talau is the one that doesn't offer much at present

I have not been a big fan of Talau, but today I thought he was ok. Nofo is the one who is disappointing me atm.

@hobbo1 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352927) said:
@gallagher said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352890) said:
@tiger8 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352889) said:
@gallagher said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352883) said:
@tiger8 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352836) said:
Sucked apart from flopping over the line. Still his best game for us. I hope he can keep his spot. He has so much potential when he is actually committed. Oporto is his top priority though ...

Flopped over the line? At least be fair

Tripped or skipped? He did lay a lazy palm but he was over without effort

He brushed off Bird. He looked good today

He looked like he wanted to be there which was also a plus

They all did ...Tamou's reaction as douehi missed the kick said it for me

The other thing that showed me ..they might be gelling in defence ....was you could see communication in the front line ...players were pointing out their attacker in the line and communicating while sliding ....best sign I've seen ...guess it helps when you aren't so fatigued ...but that happens when we get the kicking game more right that wrong

Madge is the coach and what is your point...I said he needed a wake up call and got it....

@truetiger said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1353003) said:
Madge is the coach and what is your point...I said he needed a wake up call and got it....

Who you talking to ?
Glug .. glug 😂

@bagnf05 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352996) said:
@truetiger said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352919) said:
For al the BJ haters why dont you stop and think that maybe he needed a wake up call and got it by Madge..
The other thing most didnt notice is how BJ,Mbye Joe O and Tamou got around the young players and especially Cini to show support and courage to them...
the younger players played with far more intensity and confidence this week than prior...
Let Madge do his work in the next couple of years and watch this team play finals on more than one occasion...

Madge stopped just short of calling BJ unfit in the press conference

Calling a player fat and useless would bring him into adverse action territory. These coaches have to be careful to call someone out

@tiger8 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1352976) said:

1 in 8 games when his turns his brain on ?

Fitness and dedication. The bloke has been the best centre in the league for two seasons albeit a few years back. Has huge ability just not prepared to be a professional consistently.

Imagine growing up next door to these brothers. Afternoon footy at the park would have been terrifying.

Showed enthusiasm today, which is a start.

Statistically he wasn't too bad. Ran for over 100m, 3 offloads, 12 tackles (1 missed,) 1 linebreak and 6 tackle breaks and three errors.

Still looks short of a gallop though, one of his better games for us which isn't a glowing endorsement.

Good step in the right direction for BJ, if he can string a few games like together I'll be happy with it (just no brain-snaps please!).

And it was an important try, no way did he just flop over the line he actually shrugged Bird off in a good show of his strength.

Wow people won't give him any credit. He had a very good game. For me, apart from his try, the most telling involvement was in the Cini try. Watching the replay, he runs a great angled line so that 1) he's inside Douhei and avoids an obstruction call and 2) creates the space that results in the try.
He looked keen and interested.

@yossarian said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1353331) said:
Wow people won't give him any credit. He had a very good game. For me, apart from his try, the most telling involvement was in the Cini try. Watching the replay, he runs a great angled line so that 1) he's inside Douhei and avoids an obstruction call and 2) creates the space that results in the try.

Glad to see someone else say it. Whether people like him or not, he is a capable of being very dangerous and we need him at his best. We need to win footy games not most popular nice guy contests. That doesn't excuse his previous poor performances and brain explosions but credit where it is due.

Leilua had a good game. If we are to improve as a club we need to move on from him. Our two centres in Flegg are exciting to watch and we should be doing everything we can to develop them asap. Israel Ogden is also a very talented centre who should push for a NRL centre position.

In short, we know what Joey Leilua can and can't do. His good form may help him land a big contract i ESL contract.

There's no doubt BJ still has the talent. He's just like Tigers overall - competitive when he chooses to put in the effort for 80 mins.

Your last line sums it up for me. He really looked interested.

He went looking for work and runs, which I haven’t seen from him this year.

Nice to see

@furious1 said in [BJ Leilua](/post/1353345) said:

Glad to see someone else say it. Whether people like him or not, he is a capable of being very dangerous and we need him at his best. We need to win footy games not most popular nice guy contests. That doesn't excuse his previous poor performances and brain explosions but credit where it is due.

Like the rest of the team, he needs to be consistent. No one denies he has ability.

Would also be good if he stopped forcing offloads early in the tackle count when we're working out from our own end.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back