Board denies knives are out for Sheens

G

Board denies knives are out for Sheens
By James Hooper From: The Sunday Telegraph August 01

TIM Sheens turns philosophical when the question about knives in the Wests Tigers' board room rolls around.

With the Tigers fighting to make the finals for the fourth time since sweeping to premiership glory in 2005, the NRL's longest-serving coach is again in the firing line.

"I love not to have full support of the board. Full support of the board is the death knell,'' Sheens said. "If you're trying to keep everyone happy then you're going to be in a bit of trouble. I can't keep every player happy, I can't keep every board member happy, nor can I keep every supporter happy."

"You live and die by your results and your efforts but I think sometimes results tend to take precedence over effort. The effort needs to be considered, too.''

Four premierships on your CV isn't a bad selling point, either. And the same goes for the highest office in rugby league, coach of the Kangaroos.

But the rumblings about discontent and division in the Tigers' board room simply won't go away and chairman Kevin Hammond has confirmed the club will undergo a review at the end of the year.

Three wins in a row has eased some of the mid-season calls for Sheens's head. But tomorrow's clash against premiers Manly at the SFS will be the real measuring stick of where the Tigers are at.

"At the end of the season the board will sit down and review everything and look at where things might have gone wrong,'' Hammond said.

"Everybody and everything comes under review. The players, the coaching staff, the whole operation comes under review. There's not a set of steak knives out there on the table waiting for Tim but obviously questions will be asked at the end of the year."

"Like any business, you've got to review your performance and that's not just financially but what happens on the field, too.''

Humphreys attended his first Tigers board meeting last Thursday and insists Sheens will see out his current deal.

I don't know why they can't spell his name correctly. It's Humphries not Humphrey's. :blush:

Thats good to hear.

Sheens needs to know that he is accountable but the board shouldn't overreact like some of us on here do.

@quintus said:
I don't know why they can't spell his name correctly. It's Humphries not Humphrey's. :blush:

Hi everyone

I checked that in the Encyclopedia of League Players, and also Balmain books, and it is Humphreys (no apostrophe, obviously).

Tigergran

Well their seems to be some interest from other clubs in securing the services of coach Sheens. So maybe their will be no need for a payout and they will let Sheens walk. Although if the board have any brains they will keep him at least for 2010\. You dont want to be rushed when deciding on a new coach and September would not be a good time to be looking for a new man for 2010

I just looked up one of my old Big League programmes and you are correct tigergran Stephen's surname appears as Humphreys. His father's surname was always spelled as Humphries. Why they are different I do not know or I just cannot remember but please trust me on this one.

Wow…some serious deleting going on here.....is this now like the official website?
Cant say a negative thing?

I suppose it was another ''accident''

I called it crapping on because it is a broad accusation to be making.

Some specifics will certainly help to at least identify what the problem is

@innsaneink said:
Wow…some serious deleting going on here.....is this now like the official website?
Cant say a negative thing?

I suppose it was another ''accident''

lol ive posted 6 and had 1 deleted already so its not a good start for me.

Someones trigger happy.

@tiger4ever said:
lol ive posted 6 and had 1 deleted already so its not a good start for me.

Someones trigger happy.

Yeh….it happens.

Lets see how long this one lasts.

----------------------------------------

"You live and die by your results and your efforts but I think sometimes results tend to take precedence over effort. The effort needs to be considered, too.''

Yes Tim, you tried and tried and tried for 3.5 years to make a halve out of J-mo, and the effort was there, everyone said he tried his guts out week in week out....but effort in a proffesional setting isnt a consideration, it is EXPECTED.
When youre getting the big $$$'s that pro sportsmen & coaches get, effort should not enter the equation, its an automatic expectation. Effort should only come into consideration where the scenario is a voluntary one.

Dont see any reason why the above post would be deleted….

Anyway back on topic ...results do matter I agree....Sheens is responsible....I don't think the club would resign him if we don't perform from here till 2010.....He's failed for 3 years to get us to the finals since we won a Comp in '05....we look like falling short again this year....'06 and '08 where tough '07 was inexcussable...Sheens could not get them up mentaly then...I hope '09 is different....tomorrow will be a good yardstick......

The end of season club review will be interesting because there is apparently a bit of interest out there for Sheens should he move on from the Tigers. It was mentioned in today's Sun Herald that Newcastle are interested, as well as Wigan. This was in Danny Weidler's column so take that with a grain of salt.

So if Sheens goes to Newcastle on the great coaching merry-go-round, does that mean we inherit Fittler?

@Balmain Bug said:
_**<big>Ok everyone, COOL IT !!!!!</big>**_

oh my…that is so funny....

I think you've got all the "laughs" you're gonna get with that, might be best to put it away now...before it loses its "humour".

Latest posts

Back