Boxing Discussion

Does anyone remember Channel 9 at Artarmon where as kids we would go and watch the wrestling live ~ fake blood and guts. šŸ¤£
Killer Kowalski, Spiros Arion, Ronny Miller, Skull Murphy, Roy Heffernan.
Who was the sleeper?
We would get a feed of potato scallops and eat them whilst bodies were flying everywhere.
Check out the bloke with a ciggy in his hand whilst wrestlers were getting smashed next to him šŸ¤£

afd4da11b0cf2d3329c65def134f3aa5.jpg

Aussie champ
Who?
Does anyone remember Channel 9 at Artarmon where as kids we would go and watch the wrestling live ~ fake blood and guts. šŸ¤£
Who was the sleeper?
We would get a feed of potato scallops and eat them whilst bodies were flying everywhere.
Check out the bloke with a ciggy in his hand whilst wrestlers were getting smashed next to him šŸ¤£

View attachment 2183
Look at them, finely tuned athletes šŸ˜»

Reactions: PJ2
Who was the sleeper?

View attachment 2183
Wait for this champion @Cobarcats - check out Mark Lewin and his famous Sleeper Hold.

Wait for this champion @Cobarcats - check out Mark Lewin and his famous Sleeper Hold.

Yesss, Mark Lewin. Thanks pal.
The scary thing was not only the youngins thought it was real, so did the adults. We used to try and slap the canvas when the ref was counting 3... true story

How foxports and you lot compare him to some sort of 50-0 Floyd Mayweather is embarrassing. Having said that RIP šŸ’

How foxports and you lot compare him to some sort of 50-0 Floyd Mayweather is embarrassing. Having said that RIP šŸ’
Kaito you have to understand a little bit about the history of Australian Boxing which you probably do but consider this....
Whilst Rose and Fameshon were no where near the class of Mayweather they did help Australia, still reelling from a depression and trying to find an identity.
The racists in this country were rife and Lionel Rose helped bridge the gap.
White fellas started to be proud of this Aboriginal (Rose) and he is still known in a lot of circles to have done this.
Australia had champions but were few and far between.
It was tough living in Australia post war so we needed someone to take our minds off these hardships, to ease the burden.
Just like Phar Lap, the hope of the nation lay of the shoulders of such athletes and horses etc.
Television was something new (1957 I think was our first broadcasts) and to see these guys perform on tv was enormous. It took the whole of Australia, remote and urban alike, from the living room to the arena.
Famechon was the clean cut gentleman who was gutsy, skillful and he set a good example for trouble youth.
Famechon's boxing career spanned over two decades and saw him record 56 winsā€”including 20 by knockoutā€”six draws and five losses.
He is most known for his controversial points decision in his WBC featherweight title when he went up against Japanā€™s Fighting Harada (a formidable opponent)
Six months later Famechon went head to head against Harada again in a rematch and won by knockout in the 14th round.
Once again in black and white t.v. for all the country to see.
These things I've just said come from my late father who loved those guys.
I have indigenous cousins and I know that side of the family were so excited to see a bro in Lionel Rose on the world stage representative of whites and blacks in this country.
šŸ¤œšŸ¤›

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaito you have to understand a little bit about the history of Australian Boxing which you probably do but consider this....
Whilst Rose and Fameshon were no where near the class of Mayweather they did help Australia, still reelling from a depression and trying to find an identity.
White fellas started to be proud of this Aboriginal (Rose) and he is still known in a lot of circles to have done this.
It was tough living in Australia post war so we needed someone to take our minds off these hardships, to ease the burden.
Just like Phar Lap, the hope of the nation lay of the shoulders of such athletes and horses etc.
Television was something new (1957 I think was our first broadcasts) and to see these guys perform on tv was enormous. It took the whole of Australia, remote and urban alike, from the living room to the arena.
Famechon was the clean cut gentleman who was gutsy, skillful and he set a good example for trouble youth.
Famechon's boxing career spanned over two decades and saw him record 56 winsā€”including 20 by knockoutā€”six draws and five losses.
He is most known for his controversial points decision in his WBC featherweight title when he went up against Japanā€™s Fighting Harada (a formidable opponent)
Six months later Famechon went head to head against Harada again in a rematch and won by knockout in the 14th round.
I have indigenous cousins and I know that side of the family were so excited to see a bro in Lionel Rose on the world stage representative of whites and blacks in this country.
šŸ¤œšŸ¤›
Cobar you probably already mentioned it but itā€™s worth repeating that Lionel could play the guitar and he hat a hit song.

šŸ¤œšŸ¤›
Great post Cobar, thank you
for that education brother šŸ™šŸ¼

My guy Miguel Cotto šŸ’ŖšŸ¼
You already know bro

"Tipsy riding shotgun in the Volvo,
My shit punch like Miguel Cotto, who went from whippin' soft O's
To late night talk shows?
Y'all gettin' frail, I get the mail in Dior robes
Lord knows my ear, neck and my wrist all froze" @Demps

My guy Miguel Cotto šŸ’ŖšŸ¼
You already know bro

"Tipsy riding shotgun in the Volvo,
My shit punch like Miguel Cotto, who went from whippin' soft O's
To late night talk shows?
Y'all gettin' frail, I get the mail in Dior robes
Lord knows my ear, neck and my wrist all froze" @Demps
Cotto was unreal man.

Remember pumping the sick-bird streams to watch him fight when I was in high school.

Lethal skills.

@Cobarcats please don't feel like
I was being disrespectful or
sarcastic, old boy - you know best
when it comes to Aussie boxing,
You give us history lessons
hands down. Appreciate that

Edit: grammatical errors šŸ˜†

@Cobarcats please don't feel like
I was being disrespectful or
sarcastic, old boy. You know best
when it comes to Aussie boxing,
You give us a history lesson
hands down. Appreciate that
Not at all Kaito my man. The only time I get upset is when I've done a number2 and realise there is no dunny paper.
I started to think since that post why I have a soft spot for black and white pics and flicks. It's probably because I remember how the TV galvanized families back in the 60's.
My dad was an electrical engineer at Cobar Mines from 60-80's and we had the first privately owned TV in the whole of the NSW Western Districts....true story.
I can remember our top cop coming over to our place to catch up on workd news and kids coming over to listen to Bandstand.
As a kid I can remember the 69 grand final where our family and neighbours all sat in front of the box and spurred on our cousin Peter Provan to beat South Sydney
I remember the beatles and rolling stones concerts and the Ed Sullivan Show.
Now the TV and social media in some cases are having the opposite effect on people who are becoming anti-social.
That's it, I'm going outside šŸ˜»

Not at all Kaito my man. The only time I get upset is when I've done a number2 and realise there is no dunny paper.
I started to think since that post why I have a soft spot for black and white pics and flicks. It's probably because I remember how the TV galvanized families back in the 60's.
My dad was an electrical engineer at Cobar Mines from 60-80's and we had the first privately owned TV in the whole of the NSW Western Districts....true story.
I can remember our top cop coming over to our place to catch up on workd news and kids coming over to listen to Bandstand.
As a kid I can remember the 69 grand final where our family and neighbours all sat in front of the box and spurred on our cousin Peter Provan to beat South Sydney
I remember the beatles and rolling stones concerts and the Ed Sullivan Show.
Now the TV and social media in some cases are having the opposite effect on people who are becoming anti-social.
That's it, I'm going outside šŸ˜»
Thank you for sharing OG,
keep the contributions going

Always enjoy reading Ur posts

Back