Brian Smith to Roosters

@Allan Towle said:
Being reported is 2.4 million dollars over 4 years is 600k a year. Is that heaps for a coach?

That's a fair whack and definitely more than Sheens is on.

@Allan Towle said:
Being reported is 2.4 million dollars over 4 years is 600k a year. Is that heaps for a coach?

Yeah… Its just another case of the Roosters flashing they're money around... They made Brian 'an offer he couldn't refuse'... :laughing:

he likes a challenge.
now he has got one, would not be suprised to see alot of established players told they are not required.

maybe Brian Smith's nickname should be know as " The Cleaner", as he sweeps players out the door, who are not wanted. :smiley:

Brian Smith hopes taking Newcastle to finals will be parting gift
By Steve Jancetic
July 20, 2009 After 26 years in the NRL, Brian Smith decided it was finally time to look after No.1\. That was how the veteran NRL coach explained his decision to walk out on the final year of his contract with Newcastle to take up a lucrative deal with the Sydney Roosters starting in 2010.

Smith said there was no malice in his move, he was simply opting for the financial security of a four-year deal with the Roosters over a year-to-year proposition with the Knights which was dependent on the club's final position of the ladder.

With 522 games under his belt spread out over stints with Illawarra, St George, Parramatta and the Knights - plus two different coaching roles in English Super League - Smith said the opportunity to finally look after himself was too good to pass up.

“When (former Parramatta chief executive) Denis Fitzgerald tapped me on the shoulder a few years ago, it was a business decision,'' Smith said.

“Surely I'm allowed to make one myself somewhere along the line.

“I've been kicked in the shins I suppose along the way a few times and this time around, while it's hard emotionally, it wasn't a difficult decision to make from a business point of view.''

While his exit from the Eels after 10 years at the club was anything but harmonious, Smith said he would leave the Knights on good terms.

The reality of the situation was the two parties no longer needed each other as they once did.

Smith rebuilt the Knights following the departure of club legends Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus.

But for a man who has never tasted premiership success, surely Smith was tempted to finish what he had started, with a title seemingly within reach for the Knights either this year or next.

“I don't think that's how it works,'' Smith said of the possibility he was throwing away a premiership win.

“At the end of every season you start again. We're just taking one piece out of the jigsaw.''

Smith admitted his departure would come with some regret, having become close to the players during a stint in which he was almost run out of town following his 2007 clean-out.

While news of his departure shocked many, including the Newcastle players, Smith said he had been preparing for this moment for some time.

“Earlier in the year Burro (Knights chief executive Steve Burraston) and I sat down and spoke about whether the club was going to extend my contract - when it came back as a one-year offer, within reason, I think we all knew what that meant - I wasn't going to be here long-term.

“We all understand this is a business - sometimes it's tough and it's awkward, but it's a business deal.''

Smith confirmed he and the players had made a commitment to focus on the remainder of this season, while Knights management have begun the long search for a replacement.

Assistant coach Rick Stone is the early favourite, his caused helped no end by a ringing endorsement from favourite son Andrew Johns.

But several coaches with NRL experience also appear keen on the job, with former Bulldogs mentor Steve Folkes throwing his hat in the ring.

Smith did his best to talk up the position.

“Whoever gets the coaching gig in Newcastle in 2010 going forward has got an ideal situation to come in and occupy in my opinion,'' Smith said.

“Whoever gets the coaching gig in Newcastle in 2010 going forward has got an ideal situation to come in and occupy in my opinion,'' Smith said.

Give yourself a wrap, Brian. So, if Newcastle are successful next year the credit will be due to Smith, eh? This whole thing is betrayal to me, he has a contract. He's just Judas being bought off with 30 (or 2.4 million) pieces of silver. If I supported Newcastle I would be livid.

I just hope this destabalises Newcastle NOW and they become (along with Cowboys, Broncos, Manly and Penrith) a team we can sneak past in the run for a spot in the eight.

Members online

Back