'Burgess plan' pays off in Wests Tigers' win

G

'Burgess plan' pays off in Wests Tigers' win against Rabbitohs
March 23, 2014
James Macsmith

Wests Tigers forward leader Aaron Woods says Manly prop Jason King has provided the ideal blueprint on how to defeat South Sydney - get under Sam Burgess' skin.

King's tough treatment of George Burgess had brother Sam hot under the collar in Manly's upset 14-12 NRL win over the Rabbitohs last week, and Woods was at it again in the Tigers' impressive 25-16 victory on Friday night.

In the ninth minute, with Souths enjoying an early 6-0 lead, a Woods tackle on George Burgess, upset Sam who came flying in to deal with the NSW representative and was lucky not to be sin-binned for his actions.

Woods said the incident was a turning point.

''Sam came running in, he overreacted, George wants to keep pushing forward when he is on his knees so you have to fold him back and win the ruck,'' Wood said.

''If Sam wants to tackle for no reason, we got the penalty and that's what turned the game.

''Everybody talks up the four Burgess brothers and we wanted to put it on them early.

''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them.

''They wanted to carry on a bit once we got in their faces. I think Manly showed the way to play against them last week, so we just took that from their books.''

Woods said his renewed partnership with fellow prop Keith Galloway was instrumental in the win.

''We just said we didn't want to take a backward step if they want to put it on, we put it back on them,'' he said.

I think MacGuire will be privately very nervous about what has happened the past 2 weeks.
Souths dominated the Roosters round one but in round 2, a heavy underdog Manly side decided to attack them up the guts. Very risky play but it worked as Souths react poorly when confronted headon. Taking a page out of Manly's playbook, Potter decided on employing the same gameplan. The result was an unheraldedTigers side decimating the Souths forwards, turning them into retaliatory, ill disciplined thugs.

So after 3 rounds, 2 sides have beaten his side through the middle by standing up to them and showing no intimidation. Canberra are next and they have a tough, big pack…if lightning strikes three times in a row then South's premiership claims will be dealt a huge blow because they are yet to face some even tougher packs who will surely be watching the Canberra game next week intensely.

I have a bet every year with a mate who is a wabbits supporter. He gave us absolutely no chance prior to the game. Afterwards, he text me and all he said was that we just played our grand final. Still no proper respect.

Farah is right. To earn respect we have to match the big boys every week. Who's next, Warriors? Let's get it done, again.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

@cqtiger said:
I have a bet every year with a mate who is a wabbits supporter. He gave us absolutely no chance prior to the game. Afterwards, he text me and all he said was that we just played our grand final. Still no proper respect.

Farah is right. To earn respect we have to match the big boys every week. Who's next, Warriors? Let's get it done, again.

If we beat the Warriors next week tell your mate we just won the World Club Challenge.

@greatodensraven said:
@willow said:
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them.

Love this

x2

Love how Woodsy played on Friday.

@stryker said:
I think MacGuire will be privately very nervous about what has happened the past 2 weeks.
Souths dominated the Roosters round one but in round 2, a heavy underdog Manly side decided to attack them up the guts. Very risky play but it worked as Souths react poorly when confronted headon. Taking a page out of Manly's playbook, Potter decided on employing the same gameplan. The result was an unheraldedTigers side decimating the Souths forwards, turning them into retaliatory, ill disciplined thugs.

So after 3 rounds, 2 sides have beaten his side through the middle by standing up to them and showing no intimidation. Canberra are next and they have a tough, big pack…if lightning strikes three times in a row then South's premiership claims will be dealt a huge blow because they are yet to face some even tougher packs who will surely be watching the Canberra game next week intensely.

Yeh I agree with that Stryker.

And now it looks like Luke is out for 10 weeks, so they have got a lot of thinking to do.

@GNR4LIFE said:
Burgess spelt backwards = Southsydneygrub

hahahah brilliant, best thing ive read on this forum for many years

Burgess = SSeGrub (South Sydney Grub)

You Sir, are a genius

@reyre2000 said:
@GNR4LIFE said:

You Sir, are a genius

Brilliant how can we get this to go viral around the bel forums?

@Guest said:
@reyre2000 said:
@GNR4LIFE said:

You Sir, are a genius

Brilliant how can we get this to go viral around the bel forums?

Thought this was gold when I read it earlier. If you're looking for something for the E someone on the FRF forum said 'South Sydney's English Grub'. Can't find it now but it was on there somewhere haha.

@cqtiger said:

I got told "enjoy while it lasts"…

And these blokes will be correct until proven wrong. Real respect takes time to earn, especially when we have been soft for some years and there will be plenty waiting to say they knew it couldn't last.

I hope our boys can maintain it!

Back