Campbelltown crowds

Half the people at Leichhardt couldn’t give a shit about the club or league. They turn up in Balmain retro jerseys for a social event like the hip farmers market or latest brunch venue.

It was like me going out to Henson park last Saturday for Newtown vs Souths. Couldn’t give a shit, but met makes for beers. As a venue, Leichhardt is of a similar standard. Nothing better than standing in a cement dungeon flowing with other’s bodily fluids
I guess you nailed it, people turn up.

They will continue to play where the money is on offer .Yet people think having multiple grounds shouldn’t effect the team. It will always affect the team. Always unsettled.

Crowds don’t turn up when teams are struggling like we are , next season when we start to recover so will the crowds , and yes I agree with the poster about money and interest rates on home loans etc can be a real game changer and I feel it will only get worse for some who have home loans as interest rates grow , feel for them as it will eat into there spend on enjoyment

Make tickets cheaper there and engage more with community. Tigers tickets are way too pricey for what they deliver. Find another way to make profits and start building support by getting them to the game.

I'm a Balmain fan, but I'm sick of people bashing Campbeltown. It's been 20 years of these comparisons to Leichhardt. They're both our home grounds and the club needs to do more to make them feel that way.

Get juniors playing before game and halftime to increase community connection and crowds, give out heaps of free tickets at schools with player visits, give out free stuff at the game, stop playing silly music every interval and start focusing on game day atmosphere. Game day is a lazy stale effort by administration, much like our home ground performances.

You go to other team's home grounds and you see effort and production, our home games are not just amateur, they detract from the game.

Crowds don’t turn up when teams are struggling like we are , next season when we start to recover so will the crowds , and yes I agree with the poster about money and interest rates on home loans etc can be a real game changer and I feel it will only get worse for some who have home loans as interest rates grow , feel for them as it will eat into there spend on enjoyment
Lol we beat the Broncos last week and should have beat Cowboys the week before of not for poor refs.
If Campbelltown couldn't get a crowd today on a Sunday afternoon they never will.

Goes both ways though.
Why should the club do anything more there when the locals don't even turn up to the 3 games they get?

Compare that to Leichhardt where inner west fans turn up rain, hail or shine.

To me it's pretty obvious what area of Sydney we need to be focusing on for our future. And it's isn't the South West.
Are those that turn up at Leichhardt locals? Why don’t our fans turn up there.

Has been a longstanding issue. Club plays lip service to the area. No investment, no involvement and it shows when most of the decent juniors developed there in the last 20 years have chosen to play elsewhere

Leichardt gets more support
I think if LO received some funding then a a LO 8 and CSS 4 split

Are those that turn up at Leichhardt locals? Why don’t our fans turn up there.

Has been a longstanding issue. Club plays lip service to the area. No investment, no involvement and it shows when most of the decent juniors developed there in the last 20 years have chosen to play elsewhere
As I've said it before. Campbelltown gets 3 games a year, same as Leichhardt. If they can't turn up to those 3 games.tbey deserve nothing. Especially when Leichhardt is consistently getting good crowds regardless of weather, time slot or opposition.

Why should the club invest anything more in that area if the locals can't be bothered turning up for the 3 games they currently get.

Goes both ways though.
Why should the club do anything more there when the locals don't even turn up to the 3 games they get? If they consistently had crowds of 15k+ you could understand their argument but they aren't even anywhere near that right now. And it's pretty low bar.

Compare that to Leichhardt where inner west fans turn up rain, hail or shine.

To me it's pretty obvious what area of Sydney we need to be focusing on for our future. And it's isn't the South West.
It’s simple, the club is viewed as the tigers not wests or merged entity , all support that could have happened down Campbelltown way is long gong .

‘’why should that area give 2 ducks about the club , the club make it known that LO is considered spiritual home , centre of excellence is in Croydon amd talk up the tigers heritage .

‘’in saying that it’s no brainer to concentrate on inner west given west Ashfield are the owners, club has half assed it for too long and won’t succeed until they firmly establish their identity as to who they are

Leichardt gets more support
I think if LO received some funding then a a LO 8 and CSS 4 split
Has to be something along those lines. Leichhardt needs the majority of games otherwise we are resigned to finishing outside the 8 with embarrassing crowd averages every year.

Make tickets cheaper there and engage more with community. Tigers tickets are way too pricey for what they deliver. Find another way to make profits and start building support by getting them to the game.

I'm a Balmain fan, but I'm sick of people bashing Campbeltown. It's been 20 years of these comparisons to Leichhardt. They're both our home grounds and the club needs to do more to make them feel that way.

Get juniors playing before game and halftime to increase community connection and crowds, give out heaps of free tickets at schools with player visits, give out free stuff at the game, stop playing silly music every interval and start focusing on game day atmosphere. Game day is a lazy stale effort by administration, much like our home ground performances.

You go to other team's home grounds and you see effort and production, our home games are not just amateur, they detract from the game.
I have mentioned engagement before. I have 2 kids at schools in the area, one now year 8, the other year 5.

Both have had visits and clinics from GWS, the wanderers and now the bulls and have had me take them to games.

I think there may have been one “live healthy” visit from a bunch of tigers juniors. No connection or engagement with the community

It’s simple, the club is viewed as the tigers not wests or merged entity , all support that could have happened down Campbelltown way is long gong .

‘’why should that area give 2 ducks about the club , the club make it known that LO is considered spiritual home , centre of excellence is in Croydon amd talk up the tigers heritage .

‘’in saying that it’s no brainer to concentrate on inner west given west Ashfield are the owners, club has half assed it for too long and won’t succeed until they firmly establish their identity as to who they are
This is my point. Wests Ashfield are majority owners.
Forget the "Wests" part for a moment but if you're a club in Ashfield would you rather us play games at Leichhardt or Campbelltown?

That's a pretty easy decision.

This is my point. Wests Ashfield are majority owners.
Forget the "Wests" part for a moment but if you're a club in Ashfield would you rather us play games at Leichhardt or Campbelltown?

That's a pretty easy decision.
i agree with that proposition but my point is I wouldn’t blame the area , I blame the club for lack of crowds. Other than the original merged players , have any players talked up or given a duck about Campbelltown , look at Farah how he wept for LO when he got punted would he done the same if his last game had been at CO . I’m sure the locals have picked up the disdain the club has towards them .

‘’I would have 12-0 at LO

Reactions: BZN
Let’s put some context around this:
Leichhardt games are considered event games by people in the area and they tend to show up no matter what. 3-4 games at Leichhardt is the right number to keep this going.

Leichhardt has a long history with the Balmain Tigers side of the joint venture whereas Campbelltown was new and not established for Western Suburbs.

This years games at Campbelltown:
V Warriors 6pm Friday (very hard ground to get to at that time and an OS team)

V Manly Sunday afternoon - decent crowd for this one given how we have been travelling.

V Knights Sunday afternoon when both teams are having terrible seasons. Not many want to watch that (I wish I didn’t)

This year at Leichhardt:
V Bulldogs 6pm Friday (easier to get to at that time, Sydney team, massive chance for a win)

V Parramatta Saturday night - parra had plenty of fans there as well. It’s a big rivalry between the clubs as they are both based next to each other.

Campbelltown has shown it can generate support when we are winning, just as Leichhardt has shown it can get rubbish crowds for rubbish games.

I said after the first game v Melbourne when we got 9000 at commbank that’s crowds could get very poor this season as we were expected to be rubbish. Our home game average would be around 11000 at a guess. The team is playing poorly and aren’t going to drag in many casuals.

I grew up watching football at Leichhardt and will always be fond of the place. I have refereed on the ground, played football there, have many memories of games there. However I believe increasing the number of games there won’t help the club.

Last edited:

The only good thing about the area is the juniors

Iam not sure what it is with Cambo but 90% of games we play there, we are terrible. Been like that for years. Mind you our efforts at LO are not much better.

I know in the past I would drive out there from the inner west for all our games, now I seldom make the trek, been burnt to many times

Lol we beat the Broncos last week and should have beat Cowboys the week before of not for poor refs.
If Campbelltown couldn't get a crowd today on a Sunday afternoon they never will.
Were you there?

Reactions: BZN
Let’s put some context around this:
Leichhardt games are considered event games by people in the area and they tend to show up no matter what. 3-4 games at Leichhardt is the right number to keep this going.

Leichhardt has a long history with the Balmain Tigers side of the joint venture whereas Campbelltown was new and not established for Western Suburbs.

This years games at Campbelltown:
V Warriors 6pm Friday (very hard ground to get to at that time and an OS team)

V Manly Sunday afternoon - decent crowd for this one given how we have been travelling.

V Knights Sunday afternoon when both teams are having terrible seasons. Not many want to watch that (I wish I didn’t)

This year at Leichhardt:
V Bulldogs 6pm Friday (easier to get to at that time, Sydney team, massive chance for a win)

V Parramatta Saturday night - parra had plenty of fans there as well. It’s a big rivalry between the clubs as they are both based next to each other.

Campbelltown has shown it can generate support when we are winning, just as Leichhardt has shown it can get rubbish crowds for rubbish games.

I said after the first game v Melbourne when we got 9000 at commbank that’s crowds could get very poor this season as we were expected to be rubbish. Our home game average would be around 11000 at a guess. The team is playing poorly and aren’t going to drag in many casuals.

I grew up watching football at Leichhardt and will always be fond of the place. I have refereed on the ground, played football there, have many memories of games there. However I believe increasing the number of games there will help the club.
third game at LO will be Canberra 4pm on a Sunday.
The 6pm games are bad for both sites, if the dogs game at LO was a Sunday afternoon it would have got 15k

Back