Can the WT make the top 8 in 2023

Looking at the comparative size and power of our forwards promoted from the NSW cup that is Dias ,Freebairn and even Pole its just a total mismatch
If we have a fit Utoikimano and Papalii with Api that's 3 or half a pack .We are so far short of a go forward pack .one that's bends the opposition line back
That unless we recruit at least 3 more power forwards and I mean like a Tapine type player We can't even get out of bottom 4 let alone top 8
I know we maybe have Twal and Musgrove but don't see them as power forwards

Looking at the comparative size and power of our forwards promoted from the NSW cup that is Dias ,Freebairn and even Pole its just a total mismatch
If we have a fit Utoikimano and Papalii with Api that's 3 or half a pack .We are so far short of a go forward pack .one that's bends the opposition line back
That unless we recruit at least 3 more power forwards and I mean like a Tapine type player We can't even get out of bottom 4 let alone top 8
I know we maybe have Twal and Musgrove but don't see them as power forwards
One of them forwards that we could be getting is J Bateman,
Does anyone know if there's any news on this rumour/negotiations?

Unless we magic up at least another two quality second rowers and two quality props, we're in trouble next year.

Could do with a half, a centre and a fullback on top of that.

Our pack is a complete mismatch, teams just trample all over us. This has been the case for years.

This is even before we even look at the backline and the halves.

How the F is anything realistically going to change unless we literally recruit 5 or 6 good-quality players (i.e the level of Api and Papalii' between now and March?

With a change of tactics and a more focused attitude. the 8 is possibility (albeit remote).
At least a few of the emerging players have tasted first grade so will be lot more prepared.
Very interested to read that Api has been doing the NRL coaching course along with Benji and Robbie ( i assume).
Maybe that will lead to a better flow of ideas and implementation using Api as a sort of on field assistant (as well as playing his own game). Not aware of that happening before( but it may have).
Some innovation.

2 props
1 back rower
1 centre
then we may be top 8 but these guys need to be first grade quality , we will stay on the bottom if they stay with the narrow insight of bring from with in. , we don’t have the guys ready yet

Tim Sheens has finished his first year of a 3 year deal. How much longer do we wait before grading his success?

2 props
1 back rower
1 centre
then we may be top 8 but these guys need to be first grade quality , we will stay on the bottom if they stay with the narrow insight of bring from with in. , we don’t have the guys ready yet
Agree, but I would add a FB to that list.

100% agree with posters saying we need quality forwards as a priority. Not saying that our backs are good enough, coz they’re not. However until we can actually get some go forward in a game we don’t stand a chance.
To make the 8 we must recruit 3-4 quality players that are in our starting 17 every week. A prop, backrower and a centre to start with. These guys need to take the reins and drag the young guys with them. They must be “competitors” that are up for the fight for 80 minutes. With Paps and Api, a squad like that could make the 8. Otherwise i fear that we will struggle again and be a bottom 4 team.

Unless something dramatic changes and we nab Teddy or someone influential like that then the answer is No we won't make the top 8 next year.

Next year if we finish 10-11 and nab a few more recruits for the year after we might be a chance in 24, but 23 I just can't see it with the current squad signed for next year.

If we are being real on next year with the current roster signed even if we double our winning count of 4 to 8 we hit 18pts and would finish about 12th at best (not in top 8 contention).
You need 10-15 wins to make the 8 these days.

Odds are against us making the top 8 next year.
Only 2 teams in last 10yrs have come from last and made it.

Below are the wooden spoons since 2012 and the result the year after.

2021 - Bulldogs 3 wins - 12th
2020 - Broncos 3 wins - 14th
2019 - Titans 4 wins - 9th
2018 - Eels 6 wins - 5th
2017 - Knights 5 wins - 11th

2016 - Knights 1 win / 1 draw - 16th (lasted 3yrs in a row)
2015 - Knights 8 wins - 16th (lasted 3yrs in a row)
2014 - Sharks 5 wins - 4th
2013 - Eels 5 wins - 10th
2012 - Eels 6 wins - 16th (lasted 3yrs in a row)

Tim Sheens has finished his first year of a 3 year deal. How much longer do we wait before grading his success?
Now we need to discuss what success will actually look like in 23. Is it purely wins or being much more competitive in games( showing some Tiger spirit), watching new/emerging players grow, or something else.
I'm hoping by end of first half of the season we'll have a serious fix on how he's going, so that would be my interim report card date.

I expect us to be bottom 4, Dolphins might save us from a consecutive spoon.

We just don't have the players. And our best players people harp on about, the likes of AD and Hastings. And they're both utilities.

Expect Api and Paps to play to our standards too.

Now we need to discuss what success will actually look like in 23.

In all seriousness a competitive team. To me that means challenging for the 8.

I think we can do that if we get a good run with injuries and the coaching staff get the team playing positive footy.

Injuries will kill us though.

Everyone thought the Cows were certainties for the spoon after the first game of the year too so who knows. Maybe. Would be a pleasant surprise.

I expect us to be bottom 4, Dolphins might save us from a consecutive spoon.

We just don't have the players. And our best players people harp on about, the likes of AD and Hastings. And they're both utilities.

Expect Api and Paps to play to our standards too.
Sorry you feel that way Moh, hope you're wrong though, but that's your opinion and i respect that
But can i ask you to look up a poem on Google called " We'll all be ruined said Hanrahan"
*( i'd reproduce here if i could , maybe some good samaratin can oblige).
Its a very old Aussie poem about a pessimistic bloke who only sees the bad in every situation.
Maybe you and some others on WTF would enjoy reading it for a laugh, if nothing else..
Go Tigers

Members online

Back