Canterbury Bulldogs table four-year deals to lure James Tedesco and Aaron Woods from Wests Tigers

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I would have thought that every NRL player would want to play for a top club and win premierships. That's a given.

The reality is that it's not possible for everyone to play for the top clubs. Woods and Tedesco probably want to stay but if the Tigers pay what they want then there's no money to build a strong team around them. Back to square one, again.

It's ground hog day, right?

Those 4 players can or could have made this place a top club.
Sense the so called independent board is in place that is much more settled.
Pascoe seems like he is pretty well switched on CEO.
Kelly Egan has good pedigree coming from Manly.
And now a no nonsense coach in Cleary.
It's up to them to turn the club into a top 8 side.

No - its not up to them - its up to the people running this club to turn it into a top 8 side. Woods and Teddy alone can only do so much and they have been in our system for a while now and not much has changed - yet individually they have both achieved rep level.

Clearys appointment is probably the most positive step the club has made for as long as I can remember but he has been here for two weeks - hardly time for anyone to see what level of difference he can make.

One forumer has posted a couple of times that James Maloney will never play for the Wests Tigers - the question everyone should be asking is - why?
That is not a player problem that is a perception about our club problem - when desirable players who have never been in our system wont have a bar of us.
All the players we let go slot into other clubs systems and perform well that cant be ignored - and this whole silly notion that "no man is bigger than club" is an over used throw away line that doesnt address why 4 players offered good money are reluctant to committ.
The club seems to be moving forward but they have some work to do and yes the players are taking time to sign and I for one can understand that without resorting to questioning their loyalty and character.

Well said mate.

Surely they'd be better of staying here than going to the Bulldogs. We're both rebuilding and we have the better coach.

At least with the Roosters it'd be joining a club right at the top ready to challenge.

@ said:
Kent looked at him like he was an imbicile when he tried to say that he hadn't sat down with his manager to look at what offers were on the table.

Yeah but Kent always looks like that!

@ said:
Surely they'd be better of staying here than going to the Bulldogs. We're both rebuilding and we have the better coach.

At least with the Roosters it'd be joining a club right at the top ready to challenge.

Roosters are the most inconsistent side in the NRL. One season they are contending or winning comps, next season they are cellar dwellars and then back up. It's the problem with being a superstar led team. They lose one of their superstars to a long term injury and they have nothing to fall back on. A side like Canberra or Penrith with a balanced squad can still put in a competitive season without 5 starters.

If they sign Tedesco to big money, it'll be the Teddy and Pearce show and they will be surrounded with nuffies. They'll have zero depth. They'll lose Guerra, Tupou, SKD and probably Mitchell this year. They'll keep Friend and Cordner until their next contract years and will have buckleys chance of re-signing them afterwards. And if Tedesco has another big injury (or Peace has another run in with a dog) they're curtains again.

The Roosters, as a club full of mercenaries, have no loyal players. They buy comps, they know it, they live it. Does Tedesco REALLY want to go down that path? He's being hypnotised by Mini who is basically the only Roosters club legend from the modern era. Everyone else they poached from elsewhere.

@ said:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/wests-tigers-pair-james-tedesco-and-aaron-woods-poised-to-meet-prospective-rival-coaches-20170412-gvjrzv.html

Wow now mannah talking up Issac and wehbe. Enough said. I'd be glad to see their influence away from this team.

Totally agree.

I'm all for players to have head coaches, it's a stressful job and they are very exposed, they all need counselling IMO.

But if the journo is in any way correct, which he may not be, but if he is correct that not successfully finding a role for Webhe has negatively impacted the Woodesco decision to remain with Tigers, that is ridiculous.

It's one thing to use or even need certain resources to achieve your best, it's another thing entirely if you think it's your employer's obligation to pay for, supply or recruit all of those resources. I don't imagine Webhe is going to get official roles with Roosters or Dogs next year, so his lack of role at Tigers should not matter.

Go see him all you want boys, go made, go play touch and have coffee and talk about all the secret things that help you be a better footballer. But also please do it in your own time and show up for the prescribed training sessions.

@ said:
@ said:

Roosters are the most inconsistent side in the NRL. One season they are contending or winning comps, next season they are cellar dwellars and then back up. It's the problem with being a superstar led team. They lose one of their superstars to a long term injury and they have nothing to fall back on. A side like Canberra or Penrith with a balanced squad can still put in a competitive season without 5 starters.

If they sign Tedesco to big money, it'll be the Teddy and Pearce show and they will be surrounded with nuffies. They'll have zero depth. They'll lose Guerra, Tupou, SKD and probably Mitchell this year. They'll keep Friend and Cordner until their next contract years and will have buckleys chance of re-signing them afterwards. And if Tedesco has another big injury (or Peace has another run in with a dog) they're curtains again.

The Roosters, as a club full of mercenaries, have no loyal players. They buy comps, they know it, they live it. Does Tedesco REALLY want to go down that path? He's being hypnotised by Mini who is basically the only Roosters club legend from the modern era. Everyone else they poached from elsewhere.

Can't say I agree with that. They've won 3 of the last 4 minor premierships, seems like they're mostly successful to me. They also look like one of the top teams this year. I think most of their squad have been there for a long time. Unfortunately I think they're everything we're not :frowning:

Think you're letting some jealousy and hatred cloud your judgment here, I could understand him going there.

I think his best option is staying put though and really hope he does, he's my favourite current Tiger.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Can't say I agree with that. They've won 3 of the last 4 minor premierships, seems like they're mostly successful to me. They also look like one of the top teams this year. I think most of their squad have been there for a long time. Unfortunately I think they're everything we're not :frowning:

Think you're letting some jealousy and hatred cloud your judgment here, I could understand him going there.

I think his best option is staying put though and really hope he does, he's my favourite current Tiger.

Some of what MacD said is accurate, Roosters do have some really serious peaks and troughs. MPs 3-years straight is amazing, though I think they are dissatisfied that they only won 1 premiership during that time, such a consistent side but some big finals failures.

It must be weird following a side like that, in the Wests Tigers era the Roosters have made the finals 10/17 times (58.8%, not a standout result), were runners up 4 times (making the GF 4/10 finals appearances is very good) and winning 2 premierships. The 2 premierships is the hard one to gauge because it's pretty solid, and 2/10 premiership conversions from finals appearances is good, but 2/6 from actual GF appearances is not so good.

Then they've won the wooden spoon in that period also, plus a 13th, 14th and 15th.

Let's see here.

**2016 - 15th**
2015 - 1st
2014 - 1st
2013 - 1st
**2012 - 13th
2011 - 11th**
2010 - 6th (though made the Grand Final)
**2009 - 16th**
2008 - 4th

I've bolded the interesting ones. Yes they achieved sustained success between 2013 and 2015\. They appear to be strong again in 2017\. Remarkable how a side can yoyo like this over a length of time though.

It's because they are mercenaries. They tank whole seasons. They front load and back load contracts. The fact that they had three straight years of success was a miracle built on the back of Sonny Bill Williams playing for them for TPAs and barely any salary cap.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

2011 - 11th
2012 - 13th
2013 - 1st (Maloney)
2014 - 1st (Maloney)
2015 - 1st (Maloney)
2016 - 15th

@ said:
@ said:
Woods is having a meeting with the dogs today isnt he?

Maybe but I reckon I know why Moses has gone to Melbourne for …..and its not for Woods

Moses represents a lot of players. Though there has been that bubbling rumour of Brooks backflipping on us to sign with Melbourne if that's what you mean?

Wests Tigers pair James Tedesco and Aaron Woods poised to meet prospective rival coaches

Adrian Proszenko - SMH

James Tedesco and Aaron Woods are poised to meet with their prospective new coaches before hearing the final pitch from Wests Tigers next week.

Canterbury and the Roosters are both keen on Tedesco, while the Bulldogs are also in the mix for Woods' services. Suggestions that the tri-colours are interested in Woods are off the mark.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson and Canterbury coach Des Hasler are expected to meet their recruitment targets in the coming days and show off their club's facilities, which are far superior to the Tigers infrastructure at Concord. The pair have been worn down by the lengthy contract saga and are leaning towards leaving Wests Tigers.

However, officials from the joint-venture outfit are expected to hold another round of talks with them next week in a last-ditch attempt to turn them into one-club men.

Mitchell Moses has already committed to Parramatta and is expected to join the Eels after the Easter Monday clash. As it stands, halfback Luke Brooks is the only member of the "big four" that has committed to the Tigers.

The situation has drastically changed over the last five weeks, when the quartet had all but agreed to terms to stay put. After their big opening-round win against South Sydney, the players were ready to commit after Wests Tigers invited their mentor, Joe Wehbe, to become involved with the team. "Football whisperer" Wehbe brought with him a massage therapist, Anthony Carbone, although resistance to their methods scuppered any chance of a permanent role on staff.

Wehbe has kept a low profile but his influence over the NRL's elite players is immense. While much has been made of his relationship with the "big four", the multi-millionaire property developer is a sounding board for a growing list of league and union stars. Wehbe is a close friend of prominent player agent Isaac Moses, with many of his clients seeing him in an unofficial capacity.

For many players, the first introduction to Wehbe is through touch football games during the off-season. Wehbe is keen to keep a low profile and the majority of the players are reluctant to speak about their relationship. However, Parramatta co-captain Tim Mannah, who is also managed by Isaac Moses, gave an intriguing insight into the mystery mentor.

"It's different for everyone but he's got a great footy head as well," Mannah said.

"He's not just the life coach everyone thinks he is, he understands football really well. He can sit down with someone and unlock parts of their game that can make them become better individual players.

"I've got a great relationship with him, I feel like there are plenty of players that have the same relationship."

The Tigers tried to find a role for Wehbe on staff as an inducement for the "big four" to stay, but when the relationship unravelled the chances of Tedesco and Woods remaining dwindled.

"Anyone that is involved with Joe – and the media and football community in general would be surprised with the numbers that are strongly connected with Joe – a lot of us felt disappointed with the media reports that came out in regards to Joe," Mannah said.

"A lot of it was written by people who don't understand him as a person or what he does.

"He's had a huge, positive impact on so many players, not only on the footy field but in life in general.

"There were a lot of players where it didn't sit well with what they read, but anyone who knows him, the kind of person he is and how selfless he is, everything he does is to help others and is a part of a lot of players playing well."

Asked how the Wehbe-player relationship worked, Mannah said: "It's nothing official, he's not involved with any team officially. It's more a catch-up during the week. Everyone has their own thing. People go for extra massage or extra chiro during the week, I like to see Joe as well to tick all the boxes and make sure I have prepared as best I can before a game."

Mannah also responded to suggestions Isaac Moses has an undue influence over clubs.

"He's very good at his job and people can criticise the amount of power he has, but that comes down to him being a very smart operator," he said.

"There's a reason why good players want to be with him."

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Woods is having a meeting with the dogs today isnt he?

Maybe but I reckon I know why Moses has gone to Melbourne for …..and its not for Woods

Moses represents a lot of players. Though there has been that bubbling rumour of Brooks backflipping on us to sign with Melbourne if that's what you mean?

Nup Munster plays 6 ,Slater has maybe 1 more year left and they have bookoo cap space with no Cronk …......

2+2=4

As I understand it, Woods and Teddy are holding off to give the Dogs a chance to put together formal offers. If that's the case, why in the hell is the Wests Tigers allowing this to happen?? They are helping the Bulldogs steal our players. Our offers have been on the table for long enough. If it were me, I'd give them by 12pm today to sign those contracts. At 12:01pm I would pull the offers if they aren't signed. It will (A) Make life hard for the Bulldogs and (B) Let us know what direction to head.

I hate this sitting around and waiting.

@ said:
@ said:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/wests-tigers-pair-james-tedesco-and-aaron-woods-poised-to-meet-prospective-rival-coaches-20170412-gvjrzv.html

Wow now mannah talking up Issac and wehbe. Enough said. I'd be glad to see their influence away from this team.

Totally agree.

I'm all for players to have head coaches, it's a stressful job and they are very exposed, they all need counselling IMO.

But if the journo is in any way correct, which he may not be, but if he is correct that not successfully finding a role for Webhe has negatively impacted the Woodesco decision to remain with Tigers, that is ridiculous.

It's one thing to use or even need certain resources to achieve your best, it's another thing entirely if you think it's your employer's obligation to pay for, supply or recruit all of those resources. I don't imagine Webhe is going to get official roles with Roosters or Dogs next year, so his lack of role at Tigers should not matter.

Go see him all you want boys, go made, go play touch and have coffee and talk about all the secret things that help you be a better footballer. But also please do it in your own time and show up for the prescribed training sessions.

Something does not sit well with me the fact this whebe block comes as a package deal with isaac moses seems wrong . It's like Isaac is giving the key and letting whebe direct access to their easily influenced minds subliminal messages listen to me and to business with Isaac. This guy has no formal training and brings his massage therapist with him?

Roosters have a Salary Sombrero and have won 2 comps in 42 years. They are the biggest underachievers in the NRL.

I must admit that any excitement that I had a while back of news when Teddy and Woods will re-sign with the Wests Tigers has evaporated.
I really don't care anymore I won't be bothered if they left as this Circus has gone on for far to long.

It's worrying to think that our offers are up there and there still seeking elsewhere when we have a good Coach now.

Im of the same opinion, I really dont care if they stay or go. Im done with this saga. Now we have a coach like Cleary, we'll attract the caliber of players that is needed to be regulars in the top 4\. By the time Cleary enters negotiations, Im confident we would have played in a grand final.

Back