CEO - Shane Richardson

I know I’m an old codger but Lidcombe will always be the home of my old team, not Campbelltown. I was never comfortable with the Magpies moving to Campbelltown even though I knew it was done for the club to survive - fat lot of good it did in the end.

Campbelltown is Southwest Sydney, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the heritage of Western Suburbs, which was firmly rooted in the Burwood, Strathfield, Homebush and Lidcombe areas. It’s a damn shame we had to be the ones to make the move while all the other inner west teams were able to stay in their heritage areas.

I know it’s the future and what not but I couldn’t care less if we played out of Campbelltown or not. If Leichhardt is too outdated, I’d rather Homebush was our one and only home ground tbh. It’s closer to the heart and heritage of both clubs. For me that’s important, but probably not so much for others or the younger generation of fans.
I'm a Lidcombe Oval boy from the 70's as well however that was 50 yrs ago. And as much as i would never deny what a fantastic time that was all round - its the past its gone - the memories are unforgettable but life moves on. Homebush isn't the answer - the future is in the South West of Sydney. Amazingly Wests Ashfield have opened that door to allow the club to move in to the future. It remains to be seen whether they have the balls to follow it all the way through.

So why do more supporters turn up to Leichardt ? Obviously more needs to be done out west to attract more
That is a very interesting question Aces. I do not know the true answer but below are some we discussion points - I’m sure there are many others.
Just as a personal example I lived closer to Parramatta when I lived in Sydney, went to LO for all games, went to CSS once and never went back. Didn’t really enjoy it ( too much travel mainly)but that’s just me.
Now for others is it coz there are ;
1. Better facilities - no, not really
2. Geographic spread of Tigers supporters not as focused in SW as we think ? Possible.
3, LO Traditional Tiger venue - Possible
4. Financial constraints - are prices too high for people in the SW area ? - Possible
5. Do non-SW basedTiger fans not travel to CSS and vice versa ? Are we still constrained by our roots - Possible
6. Just a better vibe at LO - Possible

I’m keen to know where I future actually lies? The centre of excellence is concord, half games at Leichhardt and half Campbelltown. I am an old tiger but I fully believe our future is West. We should redevelop Campbelltown stadium and ply majority there with a few in at Leichhardt. Will the centre of excellence proposed for Campbelltown be good enough to base the NRL squad? For me we should go all in out there
Yep go to campbelltown. Should of done it years ago.

So why do more supporters turn up to Leichardt ? Obviously more needs to be done out west to attract more
I think as well majority the money the club makes comes from the inner west. Obviously LO on game day, HBG due to Wests Ashfield, Market Leagues and Croydon Sports club, the Roar Store at Concord (besides game day as they set something up at our home games). The only money that comes in from Campbelltown is CSS. Wests Campbelltown aren’t involved anymore (although that may come back). Brydnes is the only other income from the south west given the main headquarters is at Liverpool (which is why I reckon the news of possibly moving there was set up by Lee). But I think after next season we’ll have a different sponsor. Unless Lee wants to get out early.

Reactions: BZN
I would love the nrl to come out and say right Tigers you are
5 x Cambo
5 x LO
home games you select
club selects what ground the game for that round is played
eg = Round 5. Tigers v Bulldogs , tigers can play at LO or Cambo , club choice ( Cambo )
round 13 Tigers v Parra ( LO )
etc. would be very good to help get fans to games
eg , Tigers v Manly at Cambo , Manly fans may not travel so we go to LO
Tigers v Panthers we go Cambo
just my rant but it would be a for club and win for NRL. TV plenty bums on seats
Timeslots?
Wouldnt work

Do we expect both grounds to attract the same numbers >?
One will always have more than the other

I do think however Cambo suffers from new residents moving there with a prior allegiance....dont get that really at established LO where generations of same family have attended over the years

I think as well majority the money the club makes comes from the inner west. Obviously LO on game day, HBG due to Wests Ashfield, Market Leagues and Croydon Sports club, the Roar Store at Concord (besides game day as they set something up at our home games). The only money that comes in from Campbelltown is CSS. Wests Campbelltown aren’t involved anymore (although that may come back). Brydnes is the only other income from the south west given the main headquarters is at Liverpool (which is why I reckon the news of possibly moving there was set up by Lee). But I think after next season we’ll have a different sponsor. Unless Lee wants to get out early.
Thats laughable - do you honestly believe Wests Ashfield are hanging out for game day to increase their revenue from the walk in crowd from LO. And also to balance the books they have to tote up all the sales of scarves and caps form the Roar Store. Give me a break.

Yep go to campbelltown. Should have done it years ago.
What do you base that on ? Location of our pathways , untapped footy market ? Financial strength of the area ?
Let’s remember that both Wests and Balmain were inner city teams and I think you’d have to agree that the League tried to manufacture Wests as a Campbelltown team, which never really worked very well.
Their recent glory days were out of Lidcombe which funnily enough never came up in any expansion discussions.
Personally I’m not sure that Campbelltown will ever be another Penrith ( which we all hope) with 20,000 crowds at a ground opposite an absolutely thriving club set up.
I think Barry and Richo need to get Wests Leagues Leumeah back on board and create that similar vibe.
I can see increased numbers if we start winning but I’ll be surprised if it’s above the 15k mark.

Thats laughable - do you honestly believe Wests Ashfield are hanging out for game day to increase their revenue from the walk in crowd from LO. And also to balance the books they have to tote up all the sales of scarves and caps form the Roar Store. Give me a break.
So what are you saying exactly? You think none of what I mentioned makes money for the club?

What do you base that on ? Location of our pathways , untapped footy market ? Financial strength of the area ?
Let’s remember that both Wests and Balmain were inner city teams and I think you’d have to agree that the League tried to manufacture Wests as a Campbelltown team, which never really worked very well.
Their recent glory days were out of Lidcombe which funnily enough never came up in any expansion discussions.
Personally I’m not sure that Campbelltown will ever be another Penrith ( which we all hope) with 20,000 crowds at a ground opposite an absolutely thriving club set up.
I think Barry and Richo need to get Wests Leagues Leumeah back on board and create that similar vibe.
I can see increased numbers if we start winning but I’ll be surprised if it’s above the 15k mark.
The area will have some boom once the new airport gets built. But it’s being based on potential more than anything. It could pay off it may not. If they want to try and make Campbelltown a success, Wests Campbelltown may need to come back on board but whether they do I don’t know.

So what are you saying exactly? You think none of what I mentioned makes money for the club?
Small change maybe - the club makes money from pokie machines and astute investments that don't include Wests Tigers. Considering the club only plays 2 or 3 games a year at LO. How often do you go back to Wests Ashfield after a LO game and how much money do you spend there

Small change maybe - the club makes money from pokie machines and astute investments that don't include Wests Tigers. Considering the club only plays 2 or 3 games a year at LO. How often do you go back to Wests Ashfield after a LO game and how much money do you spend there
Well I don’t live in the area so personally I don’t. But I’m sure they’ve been plenty of people who’ve gone and done that after a game. And while I do agree with you that pokies would make money for them, you can’t say the others wouldn’t either. Even if it is regarded as small change.

Well I don’t live in the area so personally I don’t. But I’m sure they’ve been plenty of people who’ve gone and done that after a game. And while I do agree with you that pokies would make money for them, you can’t say the others wouldn’t either. Even if it is regarded as small change.
Maybe i was a bit harsh - yes they do get money from the sources you stated. but its very minimal. Wests Tigers is not a money making proposition for Wests Ashfield and never will be. Wests Ashfield make their money from Poker machine revenue and diversified investments.

Maybe i was a bit harsh - yes they do get money from the sources you stated. but its very minimal. Wests Tigers is not a money making proposition for Wests Ashfield and never will be. Wests Ashfield make their money from Poker machine revenue and diversified investments.
You’re all good mate. I’m sure the club has other investments as well, but I was just talking from the average fan point of view. Not so much the corporate side and pokies (although that one would be a big one for them).

You’re all good mate. I’m sure the club has other investments as well, but I was just talking from the average fan point of view. Not so much the corporate side and pokies (although that one would be a big one for them).
The Wests Tigers don't generate a lot of money for Wests Ashfield - the money from merchandise sales and sponsorships goes into the Wests Tigers coffers not Wests Ashfield . WA do get the NRL funding that is provided each year but that is put straight in to the Wests Tigers coffer. Wests Tigers can pretty much stand alone financially from WA who provide minimal top up funding to the club. If Wests Tigers could some how score a stand alone licensed club they would be laughing.

• Wow
The Wests Tigers don't generate a lot of money for Wests Ashfield - the money from merchandise sales and sponsorships goes into the Wests Tigers coffers not Wests Ashfield . WA do get the NRL funding that is provided each year but that is put straight in to the Wests Tigers coffer. Wests Tigers can pretty much stand alone financially from WA who provide minimal top up funding to the club. If Wests Tigers could some how score a stand alone licensed club they would be laughing.
Probably be a long time before that happens. If it does anyway.

Back