Chee Kam re-signs till 2021

swag_tiger

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce that Michael Chee Kam has signed a new playing contract with the club.

The deal will see Chee Kam remain at Wests Tigers until the end of the 2021 season.

A Mount Wellington junior, Chee Kam joined Wests Tigers ahead of the 2016 season and has gone on to feature in 58 appearances for the club since.

The 27-year-old has shown his versatility to play in either the back row or the centres and has become a consistent part of the NRL side, having missed just six matches since the start of the 2017 season.

Chee Kam also made his representative debut for Samoa in the 2018 Pacific Test, and expressed his delight to secure a new playing contract with Wests Tigers.

“I couldn’t see myself playing anywhere other than Wests Tigers,” he said.

“I didn’t want to go anywhere else and this is home for me now.

“The coaching staff have shown a lot of faith and belief in me, and I’m really excited to play for them and my teammates and grow as a result of that.

“I can see where this team is getting to right now and I want to be a part of that.

"The club is in a really good place going forward and I want to bring the success that I know is there.”

Head Coach Michael Maguire said he was looking forward to seeing Chee Kam continue his development at Wests Tigers over the coming two seasons.

“I’m really pleased to see Michael want to stay at Wests Tigers,” Maguire said.

“He’s at that point in his career where he’s been around the NRL for a while now, but he also still has so much upside and growth in his game that he can really help take us forward.

“Michael clearly loves Wests Tigers and he brings a great attitude to what we’re achieving at this club.

“With the continued hard work and dedication to his teammates and training that he’s shown so far, I have no doubt that he will be a major part in this team growing to the heights that we want to achieve.”
Dan Talintyre

Thu 30 May 2019, 12:38 PM
https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/05/30/michael-chee-kam-re-signs-with-wests-tigers/

@Jimmy said in [Chee Kam re\-signs till 2021](/post/1016354) said:
Not to sure bout this....don’t think Lawrence will get re signed now😪

Maybe, maybe not. There might have been one spot going and Maguire rates Chee-Kam over Garner. If you're playing for 17th man on the roster being able to cover back row and centre is a big plus.

@2041 Garner is contracted until 2020, maybe Lawrence will consider retiring nxt year after a token 1 year extension for next year. Would hate to lose Garner.

MCK has become a solid bench player and has some versatility. He is a low cost option due to inconsistent performance but Madge can get the best out of players.

This club is destined to just make up the numbers .. will this guy take the team to the next level ... do not think so another plodder signing by the coach ! That makes 2 now , when will this organisation make a decent signing .

MCK loves it here and has really had a go this year.
Happy with this signing tbh.

@Snake said in [Chee Kam re\-signs till 2021](/post/1016371) said:
This club is destined to just make up the numbers .. will this guy take the team to the next level ... do not think so another plodder signing by the coach ! That makes 2 now , when will this organisation make a decent signing .

Have to agree Snake ... ok at best for a back up. Hopefully not big $$$

Good backup that can cover forwards and centre if needed. Doubt it would be massive $$$. @Tacky will be happy that's for sure!

@WT2K said in [Chee Kam re\-signs till 2021](/post/1016374) said:
Good backup that can cover forwards and centre if needed. Doubt it would be massive $$$. @Tacky will be happy that's for sure!

That is the thing, you need a 30 man squad, and he wouldn't be on a whole lot

@851 said in [Chee Kam re\-signs till 2021](/post/1016379) said:
@WT2K said in [Chee Kam re\-signs till 2021](/post/1016374) said:

That is the thing, you need a 30 man squad, and he wouldn't be on a whole lot

knowing the Wests tigers we would of paid him a motza

@Snake
Every club has a few MCK type signings. Impossible even for the Chooks to assemble a roster without a MCK type signing.

Sorry to disagree Snake, but you can’t win a comp without a handful of MCk’S on your book because these signings allow you to spend the big dollars on the elite player.

Also the plodder has already won us one game this year

Think of MCK as a Kyle turner for Souths or even a Nat butcher for roosters....not a star just a bench player nothing more....every team has these players so they can spend big on stars like matterosn

Some of you guys make me laugh.

Chee-Kam hasn't let anyone down this year (except getting suspended for a stupid off field incident). He would not break the bank and you can throw him into 1st grade knowing more often than not, he will get the job done.

I have no issue if he has been signed as a utility depth player on a minimum contract. If that is the case a 2 year extension seems a bit unusual.

If he is seen as a top grade regular, we are in all sorts of trouble

Perfect guy for number 17 as he gives you flexibility to cover backrow or centre equally well. Hard to find someone with that quality but with the flexability.

Members online

Back