Cricket Season Thread

I know we shouldn't be bagging Watson after a Test ton ,but that was amateur hour not running through after skying that catch

That's Watto. He'd be the sort of bloke to do something really romantic for his missus and then crap his pants.
Always ruins the moment.

That was some quality hitting from Bailey

Watson and Bailey help ensure England need either just over 500 runs or to survive just over 5 sessions to keep the series alive. An absolute miracle for them to retain the Ashes.

They were both in 20/20 mode so it's hard to talk about their positions in the team too much but every batsman can only bat in the way each match evolves. Well done to them.

The pitch has some cracks that I don't think will get you out. But the wicked movement will hit you and get you playing at balls you shouldn't.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

Haha eat that Anderson. These blokes have given up. Soft in the heart…..and now cook the sook gets bowled for a goldie! This couldn't happen to a worse bunch of blokes LOL

Pretty amazed at that Stat

28 runs off a 6 ball Test over equals the World Record

Thought it might be higher

Great to see The Ashes heading back to where they belong. Should be all over by lunch tomorrow. Would never have guessed it would be all over before the Boxing Day test.
Every chance they can make it 5-0 one would think.

@Knuckles said:
Great to see The Ashes heading back to where they belong. Should be all over by lunch tomorrow. Would never have guessed it would be all over before the Boxing Day test.
Every chance they can make it 5-0 one would think.

Dunno if it will be over by lunch , but we should win sometime tomorrow

The young allrounder Stokes is showing some ticker ,reminds me of a young Flintoff

Young Stokes is a real find for the English. He's showed some real character. Hopefully it will be over by lunch tomorrow and we'll have the won the little urn back.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/waca-may-never-host-a-test-match-again-20131217-2zho9.html

I love the Perth Test, mainly because the time zone means I get to watch plenty of it after work.
But having grown up over there and being a former member of the WACA and can vouch that 75% of the viewing areas can be brutal on a hot day. There is no respite from the sun. The best seat is infront of your TV.

The WACA as a playing surface is so unique that it would be a real shame to lose it. But I've read many supporters who go to the WACA and have been to other cricket grounds, and just the poor facilities for the spectators. The ground has been left behind in regards to developments though I'm not surprised that's the case as it's only ever a cricket ground so it misses out on government funding as a multi-purpose venue.

England aren't without a fair chance in this match. They are within 180 runs with 4 wickets to go. Stokes has batted absolutely superbly, Bresnan will support well as will the other bowlers. The ball isn't doing much at all and the luck isn't really going the Aussies way either. We should still get the victory but I have a weird feeling it won't be the case.

It's only about 60/40 with Stokes still in. its a very good batting wicket. Clarkey needed to let Bailey get another 30-40 odd before declaring.

175 in 2 sessions is very doable. If Stokes gets out ,they'll just start swinging.

Don't know why everyone was so confident it was match over. Our bowlers have done nothing much all game. Someone needs to stand up and be a star.

Needless to say this is the defining afternoon of the series. We get a few wickets = all over. 5-0 very possible. England keep batting and win, they get a massive confidence boost and the series suddenly becomes very tight.

Not so sure about 5-0

When we reach our goal in a min or two - and claim the ashes…will we be like a batsman reaching a ton?
The goal - somewhat is achieved...the concentration and drive may wane

Shame its a poor crowd today...history in the making

the urn is back where it belongs.

england is mentally too weak atm to win any of the other 2 games. hopefully ben stokes inning puts some pride into the seniors aka cook, pieterson and anderson.

It's good to have the urn back home. Well played to the Aussies. They've won or at least broke even on every day of test cricket. Two tests to go to achieve a whitewash. I think it's possible with this down-trodden England.

I think we'll maybe win one more and England will go home with a consolation win. Our bowling was ordinary in the 2nd innings, and we relied on Lyon to take the big wickets in KP and Stokes. I think the English know that our bowling isn't unplayable. Still, we took the ten wickets required and we now have that urn back in our hot little hands. Well played by the Aussies and hopefully the Poms show a bit more fight in the last two games.

Mitchell Johnson's stats for this series thus far:

23 wickets for 356 runs @ 15.47
147 runs from 5 innings (2 NO) @ 49.00

Take a bow.

Back