Cricket Season Thread

Curious to see how Murphy goes. I love him in limited overs but if he bowls similar in Tests, he's gonns look too flat. Hope he starts flighting it more.

Cant believe they are taking Swepson as his bowling lately is ordinary many full tosses and half trackers .Zampa is a more accurate leggie but with no red ball credentials. . Statistically Neser is very unlucky to miss out .
If India wicket is a dust bowl play Lyon and Murphy but if its got grass just Lyon back up with Head

Our chances in India ...and in England later on ???

I think we'll do OK in England. The Saffas didn't put up much fight with the bat, but they're a pretty decent bowling outfit and our batting held up very well against them, could always rely on a couple of bats to make the runs. The only factor will be the moving Duke ball.

India will be a different kettle of fish. I don't think we have any real top class spinners outside of Lyon. Reckon that Smith or Labuschagne don't offer any less than Swepson, Agar or Zampa. I think they'll clean us up.

Wary of labelling Murphy as the solution so early on in his career. Lloyd Pope got a bit of fanfare about him and he's averaging over 60 in first class, and hasn't played for a year.

Our chances in India ...and in England later on ???
I think the Poms are very impressive lately as are the Aussies should be very close however we are better than the Indians at Red Ball cricket
I hope they don't doctor the wickets to be outrageous turners
A few years ago they did that with the Mumbai wicket and Michael Clarke got 6-9 in a 2 day test .They have Bumrah and Shami who will want a bit of life in the wicket .I'm a bit nervous no Starc game 1 who is less in need of a grassy seamer with 148kmh swing .We should win series in India but maybe lose 1st test

Did anyone else watch The Run Smith score at will tonight? Another amazing innings 125 from 66.
Now SOK has 3/8 off 2 overs.

throw away the batting coaching manuals that say to get your foot to the pitch of the ball - smith has certainly revolutionised how to hit the cricket ball.
I think T20 cricket has done that, forced batsmen to manufacture a shot somehow, and The Run Smith is the best batsman on the planet.
Also I reckon he’s a master of practice, training and his own technique.
Few months back media questioned if he should be in the T20 squad for Oz. I reckon he would gone fk you and has practiced and trained with that in mind. Now in the last few days we see what he can do and doubters can eat their words.

I wonder how many people realise what a great player he is. Like many greats in sport and the arts, we don't appreciate them till their gone.
I certainly do sleeve.
He’ll go down as 2nd to Don in this country and surely be in the conversation when other countries discuss the best bats.
Is he better than Lara, Sachin, Kalis, Kholi? I think so, but we are all usually bias towards our own.
Of the modern day bats who do you think is best?

Went to the Sixers game last night & the Wife came along & wants to go to another Sixers game, I think Steve Smiths innings last night was one of the best 20 knocks I have ever seen.

I certainly do sleeve.
He’ll go down as 2nd to Don in this country and surely be in the conversation when other countries discuss the best bats.
Is he better than Lara, Sachin, Kalis, Kholi? I think so, but we are all usually bias towards our own.
Of the modern day bats who do you think is best?
Considering his time out at his peak, due to the sandpaper fiasco, and the rediculous suspension by the cricket board, the equal at least of these players. With his fielding, and captaincy and time out, second to Bradman in my biased eyes.

I wonder how many people realise what a great player he is. Like many greats in sport and the arts, we don't appreciate them till their gone.
Plenty do mate.
We compare him with Bradman here.
The subcontinent see him as a cricketing megastar.
The English hate his guts for his heroics last tour over there and have labelled Sussex traitors for hiring him for a few games pre this years Ashes tour.

Quick Question......

My youngest has developed a passion for the BBL (His teacher is Ollie Davies' sister) and so we have been supporting the Thunder this year....
How does a team get allocated their Australian players? Some teams got a few when they were available, some teams got one, some got none, and I don't understand how they get allocated?
Any help would be amazing.

Quick Question......

My youngest has developed a passion for the BBL (His teacher is Ollie Davies' sister) and so we have been supporting the Thunder this year....
How does a team get allocated their Australian players? Some teams got a few when they were available, some teams got one, some got none, and I don't understand how they get allocated?
Any help would be amazing.
This is an extract from: https://www.cricket.com.au/news/bbl...lary-tiers-nominations-order-bbl12/2022-06-22

Can Australian players enter the draft? Will there be a draft for local players?

No, existing contracting rules still apply for domestic players. Many players have also previously signed multi-year deals, which would make it extremely difficult to hold a draft for local players. The next challenge for the League is to get Australia's all-format stars into the competition with the likes of David Warner, Steve Smith, Pat Cummins. Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood currently without BBL deals. Cricket Australia is working with the International Cricket Council to keep the January window post the Sydney Test free of international series for the national side in the next men's Future Tours Programme, which begins after next year's ODI World Cup.

Now having said all that, the BBL comp next season will change its format, so player selections may also change.

This is an extract from: https://www.cricket.com.au/news/bbl...lary-tiers-nominations-order-bbl12/2022-06-22

Can Australian players enter the draft? Will there be a draft for local players?

No, existing contracting rules still apply for domestic players. Many players have also previously signed multi-year deals, which would make it extremely difficult to hold a draft for local players. The next challenge for the League is to get Australia's all-format stars into the competition with the likes of David Warner, Steve Smith, Pat Cummins. Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood currently without BBL deals. Cricket Australia is working with the International Cricket Council to keep the January window post the Sydney Test free of international series for the national side in the next men's Future Tours Programme, which begins after next year's ODI World Cup.

Now having said all that, the BBL comp next season will change its format, so player selections may also change.
Thanks for that. My question is who decides what players go where? Why do the 6ers get smith and Lyons, but Thunder only got Warner and Khawaja the ex-Thunder player goes to Brisbane? Is it a cricket australia thing?

Thanks for that. My question is who decides what players go where? Why do the 6ers get smith and Lyons, but Thunder only got Warner and Khawaja the ex-Thunder player goes to Brisbane? Is it a cricket australia thing?
No I think it's been a Franchise choice. The individual players are selected by the franchise at the time of the draft, one franchise selection at a time.

I think the Poms are very impressive lately as are the Aussies should be very close however we are better than the Indians at Red Ball cricket
I hope they don't doctor the wickets to be outrageous turners
A few years ago they did that with the Mumbai wicket and Michael Clarke got 6-9 in a 2 day test .They have Bumrah and Shami who will want a bit of life in the wicket .I'm a bit nervous no Starc game 1 who is less in need of a grassy seamer with 148kmh swing .We should win series in India but maybe lose 1st test

We are poor on spinners and our bats aren't particularly strong against it either. I think they will be drier than Roland Garros.

Back