Cricket Season Thread

@Marshall_magic said:
Haddin needs a century in the 2nd test or he's in trouble. Ponting will be lucky to be in the side in 12 months time as well in my opinion, I think he'll go after the summer.

Test Team in 12 months time
Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris
Copeland (why are we playing Siddle over this guy)
Lyon/O'Keefe (I don't know how long they'll give Lyon, O'Keefe has to be close to getting a gig though)

I rate Cummins highly, but I don't think he's ready to be a test player full time. I think he's a 2-3 years away, which ironically is about how long Harris will be around for.

MM there is serious talk that Cummins will be brought into the side for Siddle in the 2nd Test Read an article somewhere today about it

@happy tiger said:
@Marshall_magic said:
Haddin needs a century in the 2nd test or he's in trouble. Ponting will be lucky to be in the side in 12 months time as well in my opinion, I think he'll go after the summer.

Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris
Lyon/O'Keefe (I don't know how long they'll give Lyon, O'Keefe has to be close to getting a gig though)

I rate Cummins highly, but I don't think he's ready to be a test player full time. I think he's a 2-3 years away, which ironically is about how long Harris will be around for.

MM there is serious talk that Cummins will be brought into the side for Siddle in the 2nd Test Read an article somewhere today about it

I think they're sweating on the outcome of a fitness test for Harris aren't they?

@happy tiger said:
@Marshall_magic said:

Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris

It was mentioned in the SMH. I'm baffled as to why Mitch Johnson keeps getting picked. Every just seems to be waiting/hoping for him to produce one of his match winning bursts. It simply doesn't happen often enough. At least Siddle showed some backbone in the first game.

@Cultured Bogan said:
@happy tiger said:
@Marshall_magic said:

Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris

I think they're sweating on the outcome of a fitness test for Harris aren't they?

Yes but if Harris had been fit they were then switching their guns to Johnson the radio just said

@Yossarian said:
@happy tiger said:
@Marshall_magic said:

Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris

It was mentioned in the SMH. I'm baffled as to why Mitch Johnson keeps getting picked. Every just seems to be waiting/hoping for him to produce one of his match winning bursts. It simply doesn't happen often enough. At least Siddle showed some backbone in the first game.

I'm in the same boat as you Yoss. Johnson has no variety, can't control the swinging ball and has zero penetration. Right handed batsmen have him figured out after two overs when his stock ball is throwing half volleys across off stump, and praying for an edge into slips.

@happy tiger said:
@Marshall_magic said:

Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris

I know, and I think it could be a big mistake picking him this early, he's barely played any shield matches, so we don't know if his body is up to it yet.

On Johnson, the guy is a protected species, he has one good game every 5, and even then he gets a lot of wickets bowling junk. In my opinion Harris is easily our best quick.

@Marshall_magic said:
@happy tiger said:
@Marshall_magic said:

Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris

I know, and I think it could be a big mistake picking him this early, he's barely played any shield matches, so we don't know if his body is up to it yet.

On Johnson, the guy is a protected species, he has one good game every 5, and even then he gets a lot of wickets bowling junk. In my opinion Harris is easily our best quick.

Totally agree MM Haris our best quick by a country mile

As said previously though wish we could either give Johnson Siddle's heart Or Johnson's talent to Siddle
I reckon you could cut Siddle's feet off and he would try and get out there and bowl quick

word out of SA is that harris is in serious doubt cummins likely to debut with siddle to drop out if harris proves fit. khawaja in for marsh. clarke said theyre could be other changes

The worst thing about Johnson is that his fall in form coincided with his move to WA and the subsequent rubbish printed in the media from his idiot mother who can't keep things behind closed doors.

@Cultured Bogan said:
I don't know about anyone else but it is really starting to look desperate for Ponting. He's been my favourite player since I was a young fella but even I think it's time for him to look to life after cricket. It's depressing as a staunch fan watching his career hit the skids the way it has. His body language indicates he's not confident and he looks terrible playing the shots he used to execute so well.

I'm always praying he bounces back, but I fear he may not ever be able to regain enough form to go out on a high. He's going the way of Matt Hayden.

Once a batsman gets past about 34, he starts to lose his reflexes and his timing. I don't how Sachin hasn't

@Marshall_magic said:
@happy tiger said:
@Marshall_magic said:

Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris

Hands down the most over-rated cricketer in the world. He's made a living off 2 spells of bowling
The song the Barmy Army sung about him last summer was a classic

@GNR4LIFE said:
Hands down the most over-rated cricketer in the world. He's made a living off 2 spells of bowling
The song the Barmy Army sung about him last summer was a classic

He'd fit right in at the Tigers given some of the passengers we've carried over the years.

The Qld v NSw Sheffield Shield game is poised evenly NSW need 180 runs with 7 wickets in hand

C'mon Qld

@happy tiger said:
The Qld v NSw Sheffield Shield game is poised evenly NSW need 180 runs with 7 wickets in hand

C'mon Qld

Once again O'Keefe is showing how underrated he is. 4/66 off 34 overs.
Meanwhile Smith didnt bowl at all in the 2nd innings and only bowled 1 over for 12 runs in the first. Looks like he is going down the Cameron White route.

Would have to say QLD are favourites at this stage, the Gabba is always helpful for bowlers in the Shield.

Second Test, AUS v SA, Johnson just bowled smith for 11, score 1 for 24.

@Jazza said:
@happy tiger said:

C'mon Qld

Once again O'Keefe is showing how underrated he is. 4/66 off 34 overs.
Meanwhile Smith didnt bowl at all in the 2nd innings and only bowled 1 over for 12 runs in the first. Looks like he is going down the Cameron White route.

Would have to say QLD are favourites at this stage, the Gabba is always helpful for bowlers in the Shield.

How O'Keefe gets overlooked constantly for the spinners role in the test side baffles me. They're picking guys like Lyon and Beer who both bowl in the 40s in first class cricket (Lyon has 26 wickets @ 45, Beer has 43 wickets @ 42) O'Keefe has 54 wickets @ 25 and gets overlooked. He's also handy with the bat and averages 35 in shield cricket there, which helps considering we have a longish tail without him.

Watson has broken down, he wasn't limping from what I could see so I get the feeling its an illness, he didn't look in pain so hopefully he'll be back.

The Aussies are becoming wayward after a good start, they are overpitching to Kallis in particular, all good trying to get wickets but you are not going to get many bowling half volleys to Kallis.

In regards to O'Keefe, it's almost as if they don't believe his figures, I don't know if its because he has an ordinary ODD record, I mean Xavier Doherty has a great ODD record and so they pick him for a couple of tests.
Maybe also because they still view the SCG as a spinner paradise even though it really hasnt been like that since the 90s and in recent years its been a seamers paradise.

Latest posts

Back