Cricket Season Thread

@Jazza said:
@happy tiger said:
Done by 8 wickets How do you go in after 1st innings with 188 run lead and lose by 8 wickets

I wonder after this series where we will be ranked in world rankings 6th ?? 7th ??

**I can feel at least an 1985 -89 run in Test cricket coming in the near future**

And the Ashes HA we won't even remember what they look like

I think we're already in it. In the last 18 months since we beat NZ:

1-1 draw vs Pakistan
2-0 loss vs India
3-1 Ashes loss vs England
1-0 win vs Murali-less Sri Lanka
1-0 down vs SA.

That's 3 wins, 7 losses and 3 draws from our last 13 Tests. Probably not quite as bad as the mid 80s, I think we won only 3 of Steve Waugh's first 26 Tests before the 89 Ashes, and they were a dead rubber Ashes win, a win vs a Hadlee reliant NZ and a win against WI who never won in Sydney even when they were dominant.

The worrying thing is we are losing or drawing matches from winning positions. The one wicket loss vs India, the draw in the first Ashes test and now this match. Even the loss against a weakish (And possibly corrupt) Pakistan side was poor.

We sure could of done with Allan Border batting for us last night.

We could do with AB captaincy bowling and fielding If AB was still playing he would probably be our No 1 spinner

Im looking forward to the 2nd Test because I think it could be career defining in particular for Ponting, Haddin and Johnson. If they fail and we lose, I think they'll be gone. Better to ease some new guys in against NZ at home then to bring them in against India (Despite India's bowling being pedestrian as well).

Just going back to some bowlers in contention, a forgotten man in my opinion is Peter George, he played in the 2nd Test vs India last year, he's a tall bowler, has a slingy action like Johnson with a little less pace but he is more accurate then Johnson. He also has a pretty good record considering he plays at the Adelaide Oval and he's in good form.

He has so far taken 111 first class wickets at 28 from 31 matches including 13 this season @ 26 from 3 matches. I'd give him a go before the likes of Pattinson, Starc and Hazlewood who havent even played 10 first class matches.

if there going for form Tom Cooper middle order batsmen from SA 401 runs from 5 innings 1 100 2 50s no one else is close average wise either

@Bazzinator said:
if there going for form Tom Cooper middle order batsmen from SA 401 runs from 5 innings 1 100 2 50s no one else is close average wise either

He made around 300 runs in one game and that was the first time he's ever made a century so I think he's a bit off proving himself. On the plus side, he HAS played international cricket!

@Yossarian said:
@Bazzinator said:

He made around 300 runs in one game and that was the first time he's ever made a century so I think he's a bit off proving himself. On the plus side, he HAS played international cricket!

his also the leading run scorer in the one day comp but doubt he gets the call up

matt wades form has surely seen him earn a call up for NZ series better than what haddin has offered for a long time

on a side note warner has flown to South Africa as a replacement for Marsh. could mean a few things with possible line ups

1\. Warner
2\. Watson
3\. Khawaja
4\. Ponting
5\. Clarke
6\. Hussey

or

1\. Warner
2\. Hughes
3\. Ponting
4\. Clarke
5\. Hussey
6\. Watson

or

1\. Warner
2\. Hughes
3\. Khawaja
4\. Clarke
5\. Hussey
6\. Watson

or

1\. Watson
2\. Hughes
3\. Khawaja
4\. Ponting
5\. Clarke
6\. Hussey

anything is possible

I think the most likely one will be the last option. With Marsh out they need some cover over there in case something happens just before the toss.

Anyone finding Marsh pretty injury prone or am I being harsh ??

Anyway with the way we batted in the first Test maybe they need to bat Siddle up the order
At least he showed he had a heartbeat

@happy tiger said:
Anyone finding Marsh pretty injury prone or am I being harsh ??

Anyway with the way we batted in the first Test maybe they need to bat Siddle up the order
At least he showed he had a heartbeat

Only Aussie to hit double figures both innings I believe!

I don't know about anyone else but it is really starting to look desperate for Ponting. He's been my favourite player since I was a young fella but even I think it's time for him to look to life after cricket. It's depressing as a staunch fan watching his career hit the skids the way it has. His body language indicates he's not confident and he looks terrible playing the shots he used to execute so well.

I'm always praying he bounces back, but I fear he may not ever be able to regain enough form to go out on a high. He's going the way of Matt Hayden.

Agree CB. He seems to be too slow in getting his bat down which is resulting in a hell of a lot of lbw decisions against him. 5 years ago those balls would be being tucked away for a few in front of square. It is sad because he has been probably our best batsman this side of Bradman.

I don't expect Ponting to be playing beyond this summer. He hasn't made a big score in a while apart from one against a questionable Pakistan team. With Khawaja and Marsh banging on the door for permanent spots he may be in a bit of trouble unless he starts scoring some runs.

I'm starting to think that if Ponting fails in the next test, it could be his last.
Especially if Khawaja does well and Marsh returns for the next test.
Its sad but he can still play 20/20, there's the Big Bash, IPL (If the Indians want him) and England as well.

I find it strange that with Khwaja as an obvious shoe in for Marsh currently in South Africa, that the Aussies are flying David Warner into the team….

@underdog said:
I find it strange that with Khwaja as an obvious shoe in for Marsh currently in South Africa, that the Aussies are flying David Warner into the team….

Dave Warner is there in case we pick up another injury on game day. If we don't send Warner over and say Hussey rolls an ankle in the warm up, we're short a batsman. I doubt Warner will play in the second test.

@Yossarian said:
Agree CB. He seems to be too slow in getting his bat down which is resulting in a hell of a lot of lbw decisions against him. 5 years ago those balls would be being tucked away for a few in front of square. It is sad because he has been probably our best batsman this side of Bradman.

Whether I think Ponting is a best batsman since Bradman I'm not sure
But here are a few names
Neil Harvey
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Steve Waugh

Thing with Ponting I can't name many great bowlers he has had to face (apart from the nets or Shield Games)
whereas Chappell and Waugh have had to face some of the best of the best Pick any Wests Indians side since 1975 -1992 and they had great quicks Hadlee in NZ Pakistan Waqar,Wasim Indian Kapil Dev South African Allan Donald England (for Chappell anyway ) John Snow
Ponting has had few good quicks on pitches that were very much more Batsman friendly

@happy tiger said:
@Yossarian said:

Whether I think Ponting is a best batsman since Bradman I'm not sure
But here are a few names
Neil Harvey
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Steve Waugh

Thing with Ponting I can't name many great bowlers he has had to face (apart from the nets or Shield Games)
whereas Chappell and Waugh have had to face some of the best of the best Pick any Wests Indians side since 1975 -1992 and they had great quicks Hadlee in NZ Pakistan Waqar,Wasim Indian Kapil Dev South African Allan Donald England (for Chappell anyway ) John Snow
Ponting has had few good quicks on pitches that were very much more Batsman friendly

Yeh although I haven't seen most of those guys play (I only saw the last 5 years of Waugh's career), just based on my knowledge on the game and what I have read, I would probably say Greg Chappell was our best since Bradman. His average is very similar to Ponting's and that was in an era with some great bowlers and no helmets. Also his record would look even better if WSC stats were taken into account, I think his career average would be about 55 if they were and those matches only involved the very best from around the world.

After him I would rate Border, Waugh and Ponting level as the 3rd best after Bradman. Harvey had a great start to his career but his form did taper off steadily after his first 3 years of cricket, I guess you could say in the same way Hussey's form tapered off. We all regard Hussey as still a great player but not the best since Bradman, likewise with Harvey. I think the Bradman comparisons probably weighed on Harvey a bit after such a great start to his career.

I think Matthew Wade has virtually sealed himself an opportunity to play against NZ if Haddin fails again.
120 off 130 balls today against Western Australia following on from his previous 4 Shield scores of 29, 60, 108 and 80.

Haddin needs a century in the 2nd test or he's in trouble. Ponting will be lucky to be in the side in 12 months time as well in my opinion, I think he'll go after the summer.

Test Team in 12 months time
Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris
Copeland (why are we playing Siddle over this guy)
Lyon/O'Keefe (I don't know how long they'll give Lyon, O'Keefe has to be close to getting a gig though)

I rate Cummins highly, but I don't think he's ready to be a test player full time. I think he's a 2-3 years away, which ironically is about how long Harris will be around for.

@Marshall_magic said:
Haddin needs a century in the 2nd test or he's in trouble. Ponting will be lucky to be in the side in 12 months time as well in my opinion, I think he'll go after the summer.

Test Team in 12 months time
Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Harris
Copeland (why are we playing Siddle over this guy)
Lyon/O'Keefe (I don't know how long they'll give Lyon, O'Keefe has to be close to getting a gig though)

I rate Cummins highly, but I don't think he's ready to be a test player full time. I think he's a 2-3 years away, which ironically is about how long Harris will be around for.

I think Ponting will be gone when the Summer is over too, he'll either make a 100 and retire on a high or he'll follow the Hayden route and realise he's not up to standard anymore and finish up. That's if the selectors don't have a say either.

I can see that being the side too although I can see either one of Starc, Pattinson, Cutting or George replacing Johnson and maybe Marsh and Watson swapping

Btw just a heads up for the upcoming Test series, just keep an eye out for NZ youngster Kaine Williamson, the kid can play and they've had wraps on him for a while, he made a 100 in India as a 20 year old and is in form at the moment just coming off 284* off 400 balls with the next highest score being 85.

Warner will move ahead of Hughes very soon at the rate things are going. Johnson just isn't consistent enough to carry in this team. If we still had McGrath and Brett Lee maybe but not now.

Back