Cricket Season Thread

Australian Test batting stocks are very low. Smith and Head as a no 5 are probably the only genuine test quality batsmen. In saying that Iam glad Renshaw is finally been given another crack at test level. I think he was dumped way too early by selectors. The trouble is, to we can find a solid opener and a fair dinkum no3, batting collapses will continue to be the norm. The other problem is shield cricket is no longer the best comp outside test cricket to develop the required skills to compete at test level.
Personally I think you move Smith to 3 ,Head to 4 , Green at 5 , Find a batting No 6 , Carey at 7

Redshaw opening and find another opener ......maybe Marnus until we find someone better

Then in 2028 we battle to beat Ireland , Bangladesh and Afghanistan

Stocks are really low batsmen wise .....as low as 1985
 
Yeah, yet yous would still say he was eligible for the maroons if it suited.
Nah mate Tasmania is perfect for him , not a stand out batsmen , not a stand out bowler , below Australia excellent fielding standards
I think with Green at 5 ( or 6 ) we bring in a batsmen .....doesn't have to be an all rounder
Bit like WTs fascination / infatuation with utility players at one stage ....specialists are preferable if you don't have an quality all rounder , don't pick him
 
Personally I think you move Smith to 3 ,Head to 4 , Green at 5 , Find a batting No 6 , Carey at 7

Redshaw opening and find another opener ......maybe Marnus until we find someone better

Then in 2028 we battle to beat Ireland , Bangladesh and Afghanistan

Stocks are really low batsmen wise .....as low as 1985
I’d like to know how Mat feels about the move to open. He used to but moved down the order and found form. I know he has opened a bit since too, but just scored a ton at 5 for Oz. So I’d be interested to hear his thoughts.
But yeah as we been saying he’s got form, seems to know his game and if his keen then I reckon he’s our best option at the top, and I’m giving him all summer.
I’m sticking with Head to open especially at home. Him and Starc won an urn full of ashes last season. But I’d would be nice to have a young opener like a Konstas or the Vic kid come through, then Head goes down, (pardon the pun).
 
Nah mate Tasmania is perfect for him , not a stand out batsmen , not a stand out bowler , below Australia excellent fielding standards
I think with Green at 5 ( or 6 ) we bring in a batsmen .....doesn't have to be an all rounder
Bit like WTs fascination / infatuation with utility players at one stage ....specialists are preferable if you don't have a quality all rounder , don't pick him
It’s not a stand out island either.
Aren’t islands supposed to be hot?
 
Personally I think you move Smith to 3 ,Head to 4 , Green at 5 , Find a batting No 6 , Carey at 7

Redshaw opening and find another opener ......maybe Marnus until we find someone better

Then in 2028 we battle to beat Ireland , Bangladesh and Afghanistan

Stocks are really low batsmen wise .....as low as 1985

Getting state selectors who actually want to develop and pick BATSMEN for the future and not sloggers would help immensely for Aussie cricket,i couldn't give a rat's about how many T20 players we produce we need cricketers.
Showing my age i know but it irritates me immensely.
 
I’d like to know how Mat feels about the move to open. He used to but moved down the order and found form. I know he has opened a bit since too, but just scored a ton at 5 for Oz. So I’d be interested to hear his thoughts.
But yeah as we been saying he’s got form, seems to know his game and if his keen then I reckon he’s our best option at the top, and I’m giving him all summer.
I’m sticking with Head to open especially at home. Him and Starc won an urn full of ashes last season. But I’d would be nice to have a young opener like a Konstas or the Vic kid come through, then Head goes down, (pardon the pun).
We can't go through the next 12 months looking for two openers ....Head is so rocks and diamonds as an opener especially away from Australia
Head can do far more damage against an older ball , maybe I'm old school but your openers need to be able to hold an innings together
 
Getting state selectors who actually want to develop and pick BATSMEN for the future and not sloggers would help immensely for Aussie cricket,i couldn't give a rat's about how many T20 players we produce we need cricketers.
Showing my age i know but it irritates me immensely.
Totally agree .....Test cricket HAS to remain the showcase of cricket
Maybe we are both old 😆
 
Getting state selectors who actually want to develop and pick BATSMEN for the future and not sloggers would help immensely for Aussie cricket,i couldn't give a rat's about how many T20 players we produce we need cricketers.
Showing my age i know but it irritates me immensely.
TV is the answer, well it might help.
Instead of re-runs of the 2006 block on eeekend tv maybe CA could’ve had something in the contract saying one shield game per round on the weekend. They could pick the game of the round every week. It’s not like it’s on every weekend anyway, and surely with the 5 channels per network they could spare one.
Anyway we gotta make it important again, the kids can’t even watch our premiere cricket comp in our country free to air.
Maybe I’m just old too but how good was it to see Mat had 100 off 200 deliveries.
 
We can't go through the next 12 months looking for two openers ....Head is so rocks and diamonds as an opener especially away from Australia
Head can do far more damage against an older ball , maybe I'm old school but your openers need to be able to hold an innings together
It’s not a matter of can’t if the young blokes aren’t coming through. Sometimes ya need to roll with the best mob ya got and pick the order of the side from there. Like you said bit like the mid 80’s. I still believe ya best bet should bat at three, then you pick your openers and next best at 4/5 etc.
As all us old guys can see the t20 is eroding the long form batting technique.
 
It’s not a matter of can’t if the young blokes aren’t coming through. Sometimes ya need to roll with the best mob ya got and pick the order of the side from there. Like you said bit like the mid 80’s. I still believe ya best bet should bat at three, then you pick your openers and next best at 4/5 etc.
As all us old guys can see the t20 is eroding the long form batting technique.
Yeah 3 or 4 for your best batsman I don't disagree with what you say , but in the end of the day for me where is Head best suited to bat . I reckon 4 or 5
 
Personally I think you move Smith to 3 ,Head to 4 , Green at 5 , Find a batting No 6 , Carey at 7

Redshaw opening and find another opener ......maybe Marnus until we find someone better

Then in 2028 we battle to beat Ireland , Bangladesh and Afghanistan

Stocks are really low batsmen wise .....as low as 1985
Jack Edwards could be your no6 or you pick the best of the kids and give them a good shot, someone like Peake or Shaw
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back
Top